Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me first qualify this post: this is request is a long-shot.

My name is Matthew and I am an attorney in Cincinnati, OH. I am trying to track down my Granddad's Walther PP from WWII. My Granddad served in the US Air Force in WWII and was stationed in Britain as a pilot, gunner, and mechanic. Growing up, it was my Granddad who taught me how to shoot and we started using his Walther PP. In my Granddad's later years he contracted macular degeneration and could not assist my Grandma with bills. As a result, he sold his Walther PP to someone in the Mansfield, OH area.

My Granddad's name was Raymond Clements. He lived in Mansfield, OH. Due to his medical condition, he would not have been able to sell to someone outside of the Mansfield area. He did not have the internet so the sale must have been local. My Granddad's Walther PP was in great condition, came in a leather holster, which had the extra magazine sleeve attached on the outside. I believe the model year of the pistol was approximately 1943-1944.

If you are the individual he sold it to or are someone who knows of an individual he sold it to, please reach out to me. I have contacted all the firearms buyers and sellers in the area and none have records of his selling it. No pawn shop in Mansfield has record of a firearm either. This transaction would have happened in the past 10-15 years. If you have any information, please reach out to me via PM, my I would like to acquire it back for our family as an heirloom.

Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
9,927 Posts
Welcome Sherlock. You never know unless you ask. This could be a tough find or it might be sitting in the safe of a fellow down the street. Does anyone remember how he sold it? Word of mouth, took it to a gunshop, placed it on consignment. Any pictures that might show anything unique...like the serial number or even part of it. If the pistol has changed hands it might be the new owner would not have any idea he had this pistol even if he were to read your information. Any friends of your Grandfather still around? Good luck.....facebook is all over the place. Many towns have a page specifically for that area. You have to be invited to join or you will need to contact the person in charge of the page, explain who you are and ask to become a member. Then you could post your request there. You never know. 1917

https://www.facebook.com/groups/51591641052/

You say it was a PP model. As you are probably aware there was the PP version and the PPK version. Every bit of detail you can find will be needed. BTW, my Dad was flying out of Ridgewell, England in '43/'44. Bombardier, 35 missions over Germany. There is more and more internet information every day coming on-line about WWII service members. England has in recent years built a museum specifically dedicated to AF men and women of WWII. They will be looking for information on your Grandfather if someone has not already provided it.

·
Registered
9,927 Posts
Needle in a haystack and and some folks can be pretty persnickety about firearms they might own. But, most should understand why. It might not have travelled far from home 15 years ago. 1917

·
Registered
136 Posts
Just a thought, are there any capture papers (bring back records) in your Grandfathers records. They would have the serial numbers. As he was in the USAAF he probably picked it up from another GI who was on the ground during the conflict. However there still might be paperwork. I know some towns have a historical society that have WW2 records in their collections, so you can check there. Also, do you remember the the caliber of the pistol? Any information helps narrow down the search.

Duncan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts