Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting older, one of the things that happen to all of us. I was having issues seeing the sights on my PPK/S and PP and other handguns. I explained to the doctor that I enjoyed shooting, but with progressive lenses I was having trouble finding the sweet spot to see front and rear and the target. He suggested a wider field on the lens to allow better field of view on the corners of my new glasses.

What a difference these new glasses have made in my sight picture. I can easily pick up both sights and the target. My advise is to request a wider area of the correction prescription on your glasses (no additional cost from my doctor) and remember to request additional hardening for safety reasons.

Hope this helps others with older eyes.

Duncan

·
Registered
94 Posts
With fixed sights, you want to focus on the front. Even with good glasses you really can't keep everything in focus at the same time; people just end up shifting focus from front sight to rear sight to target. So, beyond properly identifying what you're shooting at, let it be out of focus and keep the front sight sharp. Learning to concentrate on that will lead to really good shooting.

$0.02 worth from a former Rhode Islander.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
I think it going to help me. I have an eye exam next week, and I need new eyeglasses. I was considering bifocals because my progressive lenses are more handicap than help. I am going to relate your experience to my Doc with the hope that it will make my sighting ability better. I learn something new here every day. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
With fixed sights, you want to focus on the front. Even with good glasses you really can't keep everything in focus at the same time; people just end up shifting focus from front sight to rear sight to target. So, beyond properly identifying what you're shooting at, let it be out of focus and keep the front sight sharp. Learning to concentrate on that will lead to really good shooting.

$0.02 worth from a former Rhode Islander.
You are of course correct. But there is a sweet spot where you can see the front sight but still see the target well enough to know if you've hit or to identify it in a defensive situation.

It does get more challenging as we age.

The challenge of it has led me to embrace RDS in my middle age. I still practice some with irons but find I can shoot just so much better with an RDS now. Shooting was turning into an eye exam every time i went to the range.

If you are a mature individual and still enjoy shooting I'd encourage you to give an RDS a try. It will change your perceptions of how well you can still shoot.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sights

Jim, I have tried RDS, just not for me at this time. 1942, hope things work out as it has for me. I learned to shoot handguns at 12 years old, 60 years ago. Started with a 1938 High Standard, Modell B, still have it. Entered law enforcement in 1970. I still have my Model 10 from those years. Learned point shooting and can still do that quite well, but fine target shooting was getting tough the last few years. If these new lens extend me out a few more years I will be happy.

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
Jim, I have tried RDS, just not for me at this time. 1942, hope things work out as it has for me. I learned to shoot handguns at 12 years old, 60 years ago. Started with a 1938 High Standard, Modell B, still have it. Entered law enforcement in 1970. I still have my Model 10 from those years. Learned point shooting and can still do that quite well, but fine target shooting was getting tough the last few years. If these new lens extend me out a few more years I will be happy.
Fair enough Duncan. It's a personal decision we all have to make eventually. A sincere good luck with those new lenses. Let us know how they work out.

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
For pure range work, red dots are a huge help, but not so much on a carry gun.
As I age, I've quit trying to convince myself that I'm a bullseye shot; center mass of a silhouette, or steel clangers, are a more practical option.
Cataract surgery has made a huge difference; I can pick up the sights on my carry guns without my glasses; not perfectly, but well enough for an emergency.
Moon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts