Walther Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had just put 250 rounds through my p99 and Im picky with my guns. Ok, so I was unloading my gun so as to detail clean it.

I pulled the slide back to pop out the chambered round but I think due to the angle I was holding the gun at; it stove piped on me.

No prob, I carefully unjammed the round and looked it, it was scared and had a small dent in the case. No prob, I set the round aside and cleaned up the gun.

A couple of days later I was going to put that round in my small pile of "bad" ammo,
that I will dispose of one day, but I looked at the primer and almost sh*t my self. see Pic below...

This happen to anyone else?

·
Registered
333 Posts
This primer dent could have been caused by the ejector on the bolt. One reason I tell all shooters:

NEVER, EVER place you hand over the chamber to catch a round you are attempting to eject. Some shooters have been severly injured to the hand as the round discharged "out of battery" during the failed ejection. The cartridge can even delay in its discharge [ maybe by a second ] causing the round to have enough time to contact the shooter's hand.

JF.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thanks for posting. I generally hold the gun so that the round extracts and falls into the magwell so I can lock the slide back and catch the round before it falls out the bottom, but I'll be rethinking that strategy...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It crossed my mind that I could have blown up my hand or my face.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I have noticed on my gold dots that there's a bit of a "logo" imprinted on the primers. It looks like a light hit on the primer, but it seems it is more of a logo. I can't really tell from your pictures, but could that be what it is in this case? Has Winchester started using primers that are imprinted with some sort of marking or logo?

The mark is in the exact place it would be if it were on one of my gold dots.

-stunks

·
Registered
333 Posts
[so what is the correct way to unload, without drop the ammo on the floor?]

Excellent question ?

Let's examine how the accidental detonation occurrs with a live ejected shell. The purpose of the ejector located on your bolt is to "hit the very lip" of the rear of the shell casing and cause the shell to be flipped out of the chamber area. The shell is brought back to the ejector by way of the extractor, which pulls the shell out of the chamber, by the use of a small claw.

Now when things go wrong, the shell becomes cantered on its way back to the ejector and this device hits the edge of the primer instead of the lip of the shell casing. The ejector than in effect becomes a firing pin....and BOOM ! No telling how often this senerio plays out with spent shell casings.....as you will never know unless you examine every shell for "double taps" to the primer.

Now to answer the question:
We have learned how dangerous it is to have you hand anywhere near the chamber area, while trying to eject a live round. So, if I am unloading in a controlled environment...I would simply let the live ejected shell fall onto a table or carpet area.  If outside.........I would pull the slide back SLOWLY, so when the shell clears the chamber, I can shake it from the gun. Pulling the slide back slowly will help eliminate the ejector from becoming a firing pin because the bullet is moving "slowly" rearward.

Slapping the slide rearward in a quick snap, can propel the bullet rearward with enough force to cause detonation, should it [ the ejector ] strike the primer area.

Hope this safety tip helps someone

JF.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I admit, that I am guilty of catching the live round in my hand. But one safe method I use, which is a slight variation of what Sniper said, is to decock the weopon (both AS or QA),take the magazine out and place the but of the weopon on a flat surface (table, shelf, etc) MAKING SURE THE MUZZLE IS POINTING IN A SAFE DIRECTION AND FINGER OUTSIDE OF THE TRIGGER GUARD(not a problem for QA, but good habit). Then SLOWLY pull the slide back and the live round drops down inside the grip and rests on the surface you selected. This way I am not on my hands and knees looking for the live round. However you want to do it, I think slow is the key, do things slowly and bad things are less likely to happen. I love snap caps, because you can practice all of these ammunition handling techniques with out the fear of AD's.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info folks, I guess Ill stop yanking the slide back to flip out the chambered round.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I switch hands and hold it my left, turn ejection port down, and slowly pull slide back and let the catridge fall a few inches onto my range bag or a dirt free surface.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I too am guilty of some times trying to catch the round and not letting it fall to the floor. The keys are turn the ejection port AWAY from you so in the event of detonations you'll only loose your finger/hand. Move the slide VERY slowly so that the ejector ot any other part of the gun cant become firing pin. NEVER whip the slide back and forcefully eject the round so you can catch it in mid air ala Holliwierd. In the long run I have come to think of it this way: Is a lost round valued at most maybe $1.00 worth your fingers/hand or eyes??? Let the round fall where it may and throw it away of it gets dinged up.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Excellent advice TAZ !!

I thought I would give this thread one more bump........it is so important.

Kryoclasm.......I think, now knows how lucky he was. That dent into the primer area from his photos looks pretty deep.
If you look carefully, you will notice that the dent is in the shape of a long rectangle.......exactly the shape of the tip of the ejector.

Not to sound like an alarmist........this does not happen all that often......I have personally only ever seen "one" injury of this type. But the gash on the guys left hand index finger was enough for me to change my habits. !!

JF.

·
Registered
69 Posts
i turn my 99 to the left so facing like a gangsta pull the slide back fast the shell shoots striaght up in the air and very easy to catch.never have i had a problem.

·
Registered
47 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (gunmanguns @ Dec. 26 2005,14:15)]i turn my 99 to the left so facing like a gangsta pull the slide back fast the shell shoots striaght up in the air and very easy to catch.never have i had a problem.
Lots of people do this, but is the $0.50 round worth risking your health and safety??

Turning the gun over on its left side increases the chances of the round sliding out from under the extractor and hitting the ejector with the primer pocket. Not safe.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just pull back fast and firm and hold the slide whilst hovering over something close and soft for the round to drop in. If it gets stuck, no biggy cause you have the slide all the way back and just jiggle it until it comes free. Take a knee if you have no other option.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts