Walther Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I prefer to not have a half dozen holsters for my guns.
I've got a SERPA + Old Faithful IWB for my Glock, and 'that's enough,' including for competition use.

I've got an IMI roto-paddle at the moment for the PPQ M2, and will wind up with an IWB or hybrid for it at some point, but I'm looking at something that can do dual duty across competition, range, class, and occasional open carry usage. I may change my mind on the IMI, but at the moment, it's less natural feeling than the SERPA.

I know the the SERPA has it's detractors, but it's a pretty natural movement for me, and I'm somewhat stumped as to how people find their finger on the trigger unintentionally with one. Quality wise and/or standing up to someone physically trying to ripe the holster off of you - well, that's a different story, one I'm not particularly concerning myself with.

The Safariland 6378 ALS claims it's an OWB 'concealed' holster, which makes me think it's able to ride in fairly tightly to your side, and I think it has an offset or drop mount available, as well. I haven't seen a real clear picture of the retention, but seems thumb-activated, which I suppose I can get used to.

The Bladetech seems to be a huge wait time, and I'm not really sure as to why, versus the comp-tac which is in stock or seems to ship within days currently.

I think that's my real choice here, between the Safariland and Comp-tac. At some point I expect to be moving to a Safariland ELS/QLS belt for 3 gun, and I would buy a few extra receivers, for example mounting one in the car, one in my range bag (the former screwed, the latter via molle), but I expect I'd be able to drill either holster (if needed, guessing the ALS will already fit a QLS fork?) to attach to a QLS fork.

Is the Safariland that much more secure over the comp-tac, or vice versa, while still being reasonably quick to draw?

·
Registered
893 Posts
To each his own on the Serpa. That's one I don't want to debate, lol, I'm with the folks who feel the design in general is unsafe, and that there is more potential for accident with it. Granted if you are safe, you are safe, but the design does leave it a little more open....

I had a 6378 ALS with my P30L, and I genuinely liked the holster, but not for competition. Raven Concealment was a tighter and better fit, but the thumb retention on the Safariland was reasonable. If I was going for a retention holster again, I'd go right back to Safariland.

No idea why the Blade-Tech takes that long, my wife had to wait on hers for quite awhile, but that was when she was lookin' for P99. Pretty much everything else I've bought, and I've bought a few this year...:( has been Comp-Tac and I've been satisfied. I like the product, good fit, fast ship, and for me, The International has been a win.

That said, my PPS showed up this week, and I'll check with the supporting vendors here first for an IWB, but as usual, Comp-Tac is on the list...lol, I do like 'em!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What didn't you like about the 6378 for comp? Slight slowdown on draw due to the thumb lever?

I'm assuming the comp-tac doesn't have a single kydex loop, but a removable backplate/mount on it? (I think the BT is a single piece, wouldn't easily be able to convert to use a QLS..)

The Raven looks ok for an IWB/OWB hybrid, but I'm not seeing it being able to attach to a QLS, either. Also seems like neither the BT nor Raven are adjustable for cant at all?

Sorry for the multiple questions, wish there was an LGS with a wider range of holsters on hand, but there isn't, and most pics don't tend to show the back of them..

·
Registered
893 Posts
I had the Safariland when I was getting into shooting, not just USPSA, and the thumb release was just an extra step for me to get the gun out of the holster, so I was not overly fond of it. I'm sure now it would be less of an issue for me, but I've already moved on to Comp-Tac, and have not looked back. It does exactly what I want a holster to do. As I said before though, if I wanted the retention, I'd definitely go back to Safariland, as I genuinely liked the holster.

The International (Comp-Tac) does have a mount so you can go from a belt holster, to a paddle based on what you prefer.

Raven are nice, I don't believe adjustable, and the wait time is incredible, I see it is not 4-6 weeks which is not bad, this past winter I want to say they were 12-16 weeks.

For competition, I'm sticking with Comp-Tac, for CCW, I'd look at both IWB and OWB, and start with the supporting vendors here, and add Comp-Tac for IWB as well, Raven for OWB. If you prefer retention, then Safariland works, I liked it, even if the retention is not my cup of tea.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, sundevil.
Have to love decisions you have to make 'online' vs in person on some things. ;)
I'll flip a coin at this point, I guess. ;)

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
For range or competition (3-gun) holsters, I've been a big fan of the BladeTech OWB with drop-offset. I have several of those holsters for several different guns and they've all been excellent. I don't use them for everyday carry...I prefer a plain old kydex pancake. I have a couple of Raven Concealment holsters, and several kydex that I've made myself modeled on the Ravens.

·
Registered
323 Posts
For IDPA a really like Blade Tech OWB (minus the off-set), it’s legal, and still has enough standoff to make drawing easy. I’ve got 2 now, one for my Baer 1911 and 1 for my PPQ M1. I just ordered a 3rd for a S&W M&P 5” Pro that I’m setting up for SSP, since I have CDP and ESP covered.
I had (as in had to) a Serpa when I was in theater, I’ve never bought one for my own. I do have a couple Comp-Tacs, but just like the Blade Techs more.

Chuck

·
Registered
182 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I have a 6378 on the way now, along with a UBL, and an HSGI Sure-grip belt, aka 'war belt.' Maybe eventually I'll get a pure competition holster, but I like my active retention holsters to date.

Due to another local 3 gun series ramping up, I still haven't jumped into a USPSA match, and wasn't able to get 100% confirmation on whether or not a 'war belt' is legal in USPSA or not.

For the time being, it doesn't really matter, as it's perfectly legal in the pair of competitions I run in today. I also picked up a few Safariland MLS kits, which I'll use initially for a few shot shell caddies on the war belt. If I move away from that belt, or for using it for competition, I'll pick up some ELS receivers and a Safariland competition belt, and still be able to swap back and forth as desired.

Until then, one belt will cover range, competition, and training class use.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got the 6378.
It's certainly better made than the SERPA. Also interesting, in that either the SERPA or the Sig-Tac/IMI tends to keep your trigger finger aligned on the slide while drawing, while the 6378 almost pushes your finger towards the trigger on the draw.

Will have to see what I think after a few competitions with it, but my immediate reaction is ironically that the SERPA is safer for quick draws.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Note with the 6378 and a PPQ M2, it IS possible to release the mag by the release pressing against the holster. If configured lefty, you can see in this shot where you'd need to remove a tiny bit of material.
http://i.imgur.com/fXmMgMl.jpg

As a righty, it looks like this on the inside. The silver line is what I'll be removing to ensure even with the slight minor 'rock' the holster has, that the mag release will not be depressed.
http://i.imgur.com/OfmuCAT.jpg

Done:
http://i.imgur.com/L6jMpIL.jpg

·
Registered
683 Posts
Ordered my Com-Tac International on 2/3, received it on 2/15. One of the reasons I go with Com-Tac is fast delivery, even when they have to make them. The other reason is I am always happy with the quality and functionality.

They seemed to create a button release point for the M-1 so the M-2 would also work in the same holster.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Finally used the Safariland 6378 in a competition this past weekend.
Setup is atypical vs USPSA guys - it's attached to a war belt with a Safariland 1.5" drop UBL.
It worked reasonably well. Not as fast for me as Sig-tac/IMI or SERPA, but not bad.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Do any of the models mentioned work for the 5" M2? I'd like an OWB holster for range/competition use but it's hard enough finding things that work with the M2 4", much less the 5".

I *think* the Comp-tac international and the IWI Roto are two, but I haven't found any photographic proof, just a couple anecdotal mentions.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do any of the models mentioned work for the 5" M2? I'd like an OWB holster for range/competition use but it's hard enough finding things that work with the M2 4", much less the 5".

I *think* the Comp-tac international and the IWI Roto are two, but I haven't found any photographic proof, just a couple anecdotal mentions.
Good question. The IMI/Sig-Tac I have doesn't close in at the barrel end, and looks like it would work fine on a longer slide/barrel...with the muzzle end sticking out past the end of the holster.

The Safariland, you can see from pics above - could likely be made to work, but would require trimming 1/8" or so off the end of the holster, then would likely work fine.

Dunno on the Comp-Tac or Blade-Techs.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just updating - have used the 6378 in numerous matches since, and it's fine. Good quality, thick and secure, and I don't think much about depressing the retention lever on draw.

I picked up a Blade-Tech for my CZ since then and like it, but probably would have picked up a Comp-Tac after noting a few at local matches - the Comp-Tac and Safariland both look to use thicker Kydex and be more secure..whether or not this is true in reality, I can't say. I like the BT, but may try a Comp-tac in the future, while I would have picked up another 6378 if they made one in CZ fitment.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts