Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sad to report that on December 30, fire destroyed our home in Louisville Colorado. Among the items lost was my Walther PPK. I bought it in 1971, and used it as my off duty concealed carry while a deputy sheriff in Dade County FL. I removed the ordinal one piece grips and stored them in the house about a year ago.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory

Bag Gas Handgun holster Everyday carry Carbon

Gun accessory Auto part Metal Carbon Titanium

Font Metal Fashion accessory Gun accessory Gun barrel

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
As mentioned above, hope everyone is well.
Sorry for the loss.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I hope everyone is ok and insurance can help replace as much as possible.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. We were fortunate enough to escape with minutes to spare and avoid injuries. About 1000 homes and businesses destroyed and currently only 2 confirmed deaths. My lesson is to have a go bag ready and don’t hesitate to go. Winds were blowing 40-50 mph and gusting over 100. Amazing how fast the fire moves.
you are correct, “things” can be replaced. Your life cannot. Happy New Year to all of you.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'm out here in Lakewood but my line of work often takes me to Superior and Lousiville. My heart aches for you and the rest of that community. I can't imagine the sense of loss and pain... right on the holidays and to have it snow the very next day... just doesn't seem the least bit fair to me.

I hope this question doesn't come off as insensitive... but one thing I had been pondering in a more general sense after this disaster was "will a firesafe do any good if a 40 foot inferno levels your home"?

Can you speak to your experience or that of your neighbors regarding how the contents of any safes may have faired?

Regarding the gun... don't throw it away. If you aren't going to make it a keepsake wait until one of the local LEO does a gun 'buyback' day. Turn that in and get you might get a $100-ish dollar giftcard out of it.

·
Premium Member
2,530 Posts
I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

Having a go bag is a good idea. What did you keep in there? Was they anything you can recommend as must have items or wish you had had in it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is too early to tell how safes and contents survived. We have been given clearance into the area yesterday after getting 6 inches of snow. I snuck back in Friday morning and knew where to look for the PPK since I had it on the work bench preparing to put on brown grips. Everything else in the house was pretty much in the basement and small fires were still burning and no way into or out of the basement.

as to the go bag, after losing a house to Hurricane Andrew in 1992, I digitized all family photos on portable hard drives and kept papers like birth certificates, passports, ssn cards car and house titles in an easy to grab and go.Copies of those are also in. Safe deposit box off site.photos are now backed up to the cloud also.

the important thing is you and your loved ones lives. Everything else can be replaced.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The happy side to the tragedy is your escape, having lived in timber country for much of my life I know how fire can spread, I kept the gas tank full, a bag of ammo and firearms for protection, had several escape routes mapped and a crate for my dog should the SHTF. I would leave behind hundreds of weapons collected through the years and find out how good fire safes actually are…….I really doubt the contents would survive.

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Safes are rated as offering protection for x time at y temperature.
It is worth reading the ratings of a safe when shopping; got what I could afford 30 years ago, it has okay ratings, but wouldn't survive an actual barn burner.
Where the safe is located can make a huge difference as well.
For the OP, deepest condolences. Cannot imagine our home or camp as a ruin. Thots and prayers for you and your neighbors.
Moon
ETA- OP, had you much ammunition in your home? What became of that?
Thnx,
M

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think you are right About the safe. When I get to it I expect the PK380 to be melted and most of the other firearms to be beyond repair. The insurance company must feel the same way because they paid off everything on the firearms rider 4 days after the fire, even before anyone could get back into the area.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Johnmickel, before throwing in the towel on your damaged pistol, I have watched numerous videos recently on YT of a guy who takes incredibly rusted out guns, soaked them in various solutions, disassembled fully, replaced any damaged parts, blued or cerakoted, re assembled to working status.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The insurance company must feel the same way because they paid off everything on the firearms rider 4 days after the fire, even before anyone could get back into the area.
Were the guns on your homeowners insurance, or did you have a seperate policy for them?
Larry

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm out here in Lakewood but my line of work often takes me to Superior and Lousiville. My heart aches for you and the rest of that community. I can't imagine the sense of loss and pain... right on the holidays and to have it snow the very next day... just doesn't seem the least bit fair to me.

I hope this question doesn't come off as insensitive... but one thing I had been pondering in a more general sense after this disaster was "will a firesafe do any good if a 40 foot inferno levels your home"?

Can you speak to your experience or that of your neighbors regarding how the contents of any safes may have faired?

Regarding the gun... don't throw it away. If you aren't going to make it a keepsake wait until one of the local LEO does a gun 'buyback' day. Turn that in and get you might get a $100-ish dollar giftcard out of it.
Higher Line podcast (Carry Trainer, Micky Schuch) episode 153 has an interview with CEO of a leading firearms storage company. Very informative. Re: fire. ... Forget it. They're not going to survive, despite the ratings claims.

Seems miraculous that only two known lives lost in the fire. Johnmickle - sorry for all you've had to go through.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I lost a large gun collection in a big fire (The 1991 Oakland Fire) back when I was in my 20s, there might have even been a PPK in the safe. I don't think any safe is going to survive a total house fire or a major house to house fire like these. Even if the safe could handle the heat and length of the fire, unless your safe is on a concrete floor the floor will burn and the safe will drop likely cracking it open and compromising the structure of the safe.

To the OP I am so sorry for your loss.

·
Premium Member
2,530 Posts
I've often wondered if installing a sprinkler system over a gunsafe would be a good idea.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts