Walther Forums banner

Sabotaged Spreewerk?

1K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  Tvchance 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I've had a WWII Spreewerk P38 (366*p) for a couple of years, now. We've all heard stories of how Spreewerk pistols, being manufactured by slave labor, may have been sabotaged at the factory. I had noticed that, whenever I disassembled my pistol, the locking block would freely drop off of the barrel. This never got in the way of function and this pistol has always been very reliable. Initially, I assumed the the locking block retention spring was broken or, maybe, even missing. Once I took a closer look at it, I realized this retention spring had been installed backwards! I suppose it is possible that a previous owner had taken out the spring and improperly installed it but I believe most people wouldn't mess with this. Evidence of sabotage? Maybe. More than likely, this pistol was put together by persons with little to no skills or proper training in the assembly of firearms. If this is the case, it also shows how desperate the Reich was to churn out weapons, as this pistol (Manufactured in May of 1944) passed inspection and received the "Eagle over 88" Waffenamt!" Anyway, I ordered a new retention spring through Jack First Guns (The old spring appeared to be damaged through its improper assembly). I properly installed the new retention spring and, now, the locking block is securely held in place!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.