Walther Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1943 manufactured P-38 that a pistolsmith thinks may have been sabotaged during manufacture. I am looking for references that deal with this subject but can not find any dealing with German handguns on the "net". Is there any help out there in Waltherland?

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
I have heard that since the Germans were using "slave labor" during the war that there were instances where the prisoners would sabotage the productions process.  For instance some batches of steel that were made late in the war were spiked so that the quality was lower than what it should've been.  This made anything made out of it more prone to breakage and fractures.  -I know some of the late war Lugers are unreliable due to sabotage issues.

One of the arsenals tasked with cranking out 98k's had its Czech labor force intentionally put all of the sights on improperly so they would be misaligned.  The Germans never got to field the rifles, but the Israelis bought them for their War of Independence.  They freaked out that all of the rifles were shooting off-target.  At first, they thought the Czechs had pulled a fast one on them, but then they realized that the Czechs had done this during the war to mess up the Germans.  

The fix for the misaligned sights was easy.  However, if someone was intentionally trying to assemble the gun so it would not work right, you could run into a problem that may not be easy to fix short of replacing all parts in question.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts