Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a quick little search and didn't find an answer to my problem.

I have a P99 AS full size with ~1300 rounds through it, with no failures at all.

Unfortunately, I am now having a problem getting the gun to go into SA mode. If I take the slide off and then put it back on, I can put it in SA once. If I decock and then try to get back in SA it will not happen.

I can dry fire the gun.

Any ideas?
I will call S&W on Monday, but if anyone has any insight it would be helpful.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The only way to get it into single action while it's empty (dry fire) is to either rack the slide all the way back or just enough to click back the firing pin. Other than that, all dry fires will be DA.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
We don't know whether to assume that it worked prev until now, of you don't know how to operate the gun, as per what mjs166 just said...

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I have a P99 AS full size with ~1300 rounds through it, with no failures at all.
I will assume if you are the one who has run this many rounds through your pistol that you are familar with its operation. And yes the only way to get the gun into SA mode when empty is to rack the slide...if after you cock the pistol, if the striker does not protrude from the end of the slide and it will not go SA, then the only thing that I can suggest is to call Walther America.

Keep us informed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK.... sorry for the delay on getting back to this.

Loaded - It will go into SA every time a bullet is loaded and/or it is fired. I tested this with 100 rounds and everything worked fine.

Empty with/without mag - If I rack the slide any distance it will not go into SA.

I went to the place I bought it and they agreed to take a quick look, or atleast compare it to the working one they have.

If that doesn't work I will send it back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (powers @ Aug. 03 2006,1:02)]OK.... sorry for the delay on getting back to this.

Loaded - It will go into SA every time a bullet is loaded and/or it is fired.  I tested this with 100 rounds and everything worked fine.

Empty with/without mag - If I rack the slide any distance it will not go into SA.

I went to the place I bought it and they agreed to take a quick look, or atleast compare it to the working one they have.

If that doesn't work I will send it back.
My wife owns a QA model, and I've not handled a AS yet (though it is next on my list), but this is my understanding of the mechanism from the literature.  If I am off on this guys, let me know.

The trigger is actually a three stage mechanism.  Decocked is traditional DA, going to a traditional SA after the trigger is pulled and the slide cycles a round.  The intermediate mode (Anti-Stress mode) is an SA weight, with a DA length.  This mode is achieved by cycling the slide and not decocking.

So, my assumption is that you have to pull the trigger and cycle the slide in order for is to go into the traditional SA mode (light, short pull).  Am I off in my assumption guys?

If the gun goes into SA while you are firing it, then it is doing what it is supposed to.  Is the trigger weight the same on the long length pull if you decock the pistol?

·
Registered
821 Posts
You are correct.

The decocked (double action) trigger pull is somewhere around 10 pounds.

The Anti stress long pull is long, but you don't really feel the 5 pound resistance till the end where the trigger sets back into normal SA position.

I like the fact that I can fire the first shot double action, then I can fire all subsequent shots single action, without going into the so-called "anti-stress" mode.

-stunks

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
U didn't mention it, but I thought I would say it anyway.

When unloaded - when the A/S is cocked and set to SA - and U dry fire it - it goes back to DA since there was no fired round to push the slide back again.

It didn't seem like this was your issue - but I thought I would mention it anyway...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts