Walther Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with the P99 that
Smith & Wesson makes on the Walther frame?
I'm thinking of picking up of the compact models.
Many thanks.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Couple of guys on here got them and like them too. Just curious, why not get the original Walther P99c? List price is some cheaper too...

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
According to my gun dealer, the S&W has some
nice features that the Walther model doesn't have.
(It might be because he wants to move the S&W
in stock, of course.)

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
The SW99 is the same gun - exactly the same functionally - Just a visual difference.

I have a fullsize SW99, a P99 A/S and a P99 compact A/S.

He is fooling U.

The SW99 was discontinued at the end of 2005, but they are still floating around. Be aware that the SW990L has a different trigger - similar to the QA P99.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks for the info, ShipWreck.
Maybe I can talk him down a bit, based
on that bit of news. Most helpful ... grazie.

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
The SW99c has the same features -1
there is no rail on the SW99c where the P99c has a rail :eek:

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Yea, that is true - I forgot. I have the fullsize SW99, and it does have a rail.

But yea, the compact SW99 does not. To be honest - it is a small carry gun. While some folks get one of those mini lights to put on - because of the size needed to fit, they are not that bright. I would venture to say that 80% of the P99C owners never even use the rail on such a small gun.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I may have had too much German beer in my time, but I swear I don't like the S&W version of the compact pistol as much as the Walther, and I own both. The S&W just doesn't seem as nicely finished to me - perhaps it is the lack of that stylish taper on the front of the slide that really bothers me. IT certainly doen't have any features that the Walther doesn't and I'd be very leery of a dealer that spins that tale for you.

If I were me, I'd take a pass and get a real Walther. I am sure the S&W is better than nothing and in fact I got rid of a Glock 26 in order to buy mine, but I only really shoot my little Walther.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks one and all -- the Walther it is then.
Or maybe both; that wouldn't hurt, either.
I appreciate the infomation and expertise.
Salute

1 - 9 of 9 Posts