·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reactions: halfmoonclip

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
The 380EZ has been a big hit with older folks and women. I have had several family and friends prefer it for the reason it was introduced - its slide is very easy to rack and its easy to disassemble and clean. Moving to a more powerful cartridge is a good move on their part IMHO. Just wish it didn't have that awful grip safety.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Condescending???? S&W is targeting new shooters and women with the EZ. Both of those demographics tend to want safeties on their guns.
Is that your assumption or do you actually have conclusive evidence to support your position? I know number of old people like me (77) who have arthritis in their hands and therefore like an easier to rack pistol. I EDC a PPS M2 because it is easier for me to rack than many micro 9s. I do not want or have a safety on my pistol(s). I would have considered the EZ if it came in 9mm when I was in the market for a 9mm even though it has a safety because I do n to have to engage a safety and a grip safety is engaged in the process of gripping the gun.

Reactions: PPS1980

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Just wish it didn't have that awful grip safety.
The clientele that goes for the EZ can't have enough safeties.
That’s pretty spot on. As an instructor at an LGS, this gun has a big niche. New shooters and generally those who are up in age.

Making the gun in a 9M will be interesting, because I think the target audience for this gun likely will have problems handling the recoil.

In fact, I can’t think of a single student that I have had who shoots the EZ or who I have fitted with an EZ, who could have handled one well in a larger cartridge. Shooters seem to gravitate to this gun because of the recoil too.

But it’s an increasing crowded field and the 9m cartridge is a lot cheaper to shoot.

·
Super Moderator
7,312 Posts
Got the .380 version for my bride (still a work in progress), and they are amazingly easy to manipulate and shoot.
The grip safety is a non-issue in the normal grasping of the gun.
Moon

·
Registered
61 Posts
I looked at one, but I saw no compelling reason to switch from my PK380. I will say that I am one of the people who likes grip safeties. I strongly prefer it over the various "safe-trigger" methods.

I tried a Glock 42 for a while and was never able to warm to the safety. Plus, it has a real problem for the PK/EZ crowd, the slide is both made of a great nonstick surface, and it is very heavy to pull.

As some have mentioned, I wonder about the marketing of the EZ combined with the 9mm's increased recoil. It seems like a bit of feature creep to me.

As far as why I like the grip safety, I will share a minor oopsie. I was standing from the toilet, while pulling my pants up my suspender grabbed and pulled my 1911-380 put of its holster, a real dumb moment on my part. As it was falling, I had two thoughts flash quickly. The first was "never try to catch a falling pistol." The second was "thank God that thing has a grip safety."

Grip safeties have been used as the sole safties on many pistols, the newest that I have, that relies on a grip safety, is the Remington R51. While it was not highly regarded, almost no one was claiming that the grip safety made it unsafe. They are completely intuitive to use, grip the pistol and it is ready to fire, do anything else with it, such as holstering it, and it is on safe. I have no doubt that my Colt 380 Government or Kimber 380 would be closer to my "perfect" 380 if they incorporated grip safeties.

So, there are people who like grip safeties and, at the same time, dislike the various trigger safety mechanisms.

Still wishing Walther would refresh the PK380. . .

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Still wishing Walther would refresh the PK380. . . [/QUOTE

It would have to be a total redesign. The PK380 has always been a small niche of the market and sales in my shop have gone in the toilet since the introduction of the EZ.

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
Still wishing Walther would refresh the PK380. . . [/QUOTE

It would have to be a total redesign. The PK380 has always been a small niche of the market and sales in my shop have gone in the toilet since the introduction of the EZ.
Walther was making noise about a 380acp version of the CCP.

It is just speculation on my part but I see that as the probable replacement for the PK380.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Still wishing Walther would refresh the PK380. . .
About the only things I would change would be to use a real hammer dropping mechanism instead of what they have, a slide release, and to look at the magazine capacity. The PK always looks like it was originally designed with a higher capacity magazine than it actually shipped with. . . it sounds like I am looking for a .380 version of my H&K P30, just smaller.

I do realize that mid-sized pistols in .380 looks like a niche market, however, the EZ shows that it is a real market. As I type this I am wearing a 1911-380, another mid-sized .380.

One thing I do like is that most of the mid-sized .380 pistols are very different. The variety gives real choices.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Be careful what you wish for and remember that Walther is really two companies making weapons and marketing them as one.....

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
Walther or more correctly Umarex will have to replace the PK380 at some point.

I still think the replacement will be a 380acp version of that other Umarex product the CCP.

Can Umarex tune the CCP's gas system to reliably work with the 380acp? I don't know but if they can maybe the CCP 380 would be more competitive with the EZShield?

I'm sure Umarex is watching the sales number of the PK380 closely and will introduce something else when the PK380 is no longer selling enough to justify it's continued production.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Walther or more correctly Umarex will have to replace the PK380 at some point.

I still think the replacement will be a 380acp version of that other Umarex product the CCP.
You are probably closer than my hope for a simple update of the PK380.

I suspect the hammer would go, along with it the DA/SA. Even the EZ (see, looping back to the main topic) has hidden its hammer inside of the slide and frame. I also suspect that the paddle release would go. However, the paddle release is great for people with limited thumb movement due to arthritis.

In all, I really have no hope for a PK380-2. Instead, I suspect that it will be something totally different, intended to resemble whatever the competition is selling. However, considering the rest of the line-up, I suspect it will have a trigger-safety, not a grip-safety. Your CCP thought is probably pretty close.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts