Walther Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone out there tried the new S&W PPK/s? I have heard strong feelings from both sides of the fence -- that it takes care of the 'Walther bite" and has all the rough edges off of it (and an extended beavertail) to those who say it's a typical S&W piece of crap. Frankly, I got tired of the Walther bite and got rid of two PPK/s's. I currently have a P99 and LOVE it!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
The ones that I've seen, I haven't been too impressed with. One that I saw wouldn't drop the hammer all the way when the trigger was pulled. It would act like it was de-cocking.

I'm sure the "Walther-bite" is gone now, because the beaver tail look sufficiently extended.

The fit on the ones I've seen hasn't been stellar either. No where near what a German/French made Walther is.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
P88: How do you get that little picture under your username?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Under the "Welcome Hizzoner" at the top of this page, click on "Your Control Panel". Go to personal info and then click on Avatar. Then follow the dirrections to choose your Avatar.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a PPK/S of 1998 manufacture - not sure whether this was under S&W or not. Guy I bought it from complained of smashed thumb on his weak hand - because he wrapped it over his strong hand in a 2-hand hold.... and couldn't break the habit.

I haven't had any problem except I will have to melt the back right corner of the slide - it is very sharp & can leave a small slice on the top bump of flesh between my thumb & trigger finger.

I had an older Manurhin .32 a long time ago; this PPK/S doesn't seem to have any obvious quality weaknesses. Shoots reliably and accurately. I added a small piece of griptape to the front & back strap because the SS seemed a little too slick.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bubbygator: The S&W PPKs are new this year, so you have an Interarms.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just bought a stainless PPK last year for off-duty carry. My stainless ppk has all the rollmarks from S&W and personally, I like it a lot better than my Interarms blue PPK.
The fit and finish is a lot better and the action is much smoother. My only problem was with ammo feeding. Our department at the time only authorized Speer Gold Dot HP in .380. Both my PPKs HATED that ammo and constantly failed to feed. Once the Federal Hydra-Shok was ok'd, that problem went away.
Anyone else have similar trouble?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had a S&W PPK/S-1 for three months.I really like mine.I think the changes that Smith & Wesson has made to the Walther has taken a great design and made it better.The fit and finish on mine is excellent.I have about 500 rounds of assorted rounds (FMJ /JHP) through mine with zero failures to feed or fire.The gun is very accurate and shoots to POI with my carry round Cor-Bon.The slight extension to the tang has taken care of slide bite.Great little gun.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have owned a S&W flavor PPKs for a number of months now, and I am very happy with it. It's the stainless model. I have reliably put about 1,000 rounds through it with no jamming or problems of any kind. I must admit that all of this ammo was FMJ however.

By the way, does anyone know a good procedure for adjusting the windage on this handgun? The manual indicates that the rear sight is adjustable but doesn't really indicate much as to how to adjust it. In my case, my groups tend to be left of the BE, so if I could adjust the rear sight, I could be down right accurate with this handgun.

It is my primary CC handgun, and I like it a lot, but it would be great to get some input on the sight adjustment.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Ski3918

"Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
Sir Winston Churchill

·
Registered
44 Posts
I too have a new PPK/s Stainless with the extended tail. It's never ever given me any trouble. I like my P99 better, but the ppk/s has pleasantly surprised me since i had heard a lot of bad things before with all the interarms ones.

-Chris

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cordodor: Cool Walthers!

Everyone, thanks for your input!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was told by a local gunsmith that Smith & Wesson has farmed out production of some of the small parts on the new PPK/S to China. I don't know if this is true or not. Can anyone confirm or deny? I've heard good things about the VERY early Interarms models, but those seem to be as hard to come by as the German model. Can anyone give more info on the early Interarms models? Which production years/serial #s are the best?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Really. How wierd!
Would live to give them to ya, but it was department issued ammo and was returned when we went to Federal Hydra-Shoks!
Happy shooting!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts