Walther Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I picked up my NIB S&W PPK .32acp. Unfortunately, when I got it home I noted that it would not lock the slide back when I pulled the slide back on an empty magazine. When I took the slide off I noted that the spring that holds the slide lock in place was not properly installed. No big deal, in a few moments I correctly installed the spring and all was well, or so I thought....

I then cleaned and lubed my new PPK. After that, I dry fired it about 7 or 8 times when suddenly the hammer locked forward. Upon close inspection I noted that the hammer strut (it can be seen at the lower rear of the hammer) had slipped off it's pin and was now positioned in such a way as to pin the hammer forward.:eek: I'm not sure if the hammer strut is defective or how it could have slipped off the pin in the hammer, but the U-shaped notch on the top of the hammer strut doesn't look very deep. Regardless, my NIB S&W PPK is for now a rather expensive paperweight!:mad:

I'm rather disappointed in my new PPK because of this and a bit unsettled by it, as I was going to use this pistol as alternate CCW (I usually carry a S&W 432PD .32 H&R Magnum), but now even after it's fixed I'm a bit leery about it's reliability as a CCW.

I've heard that S&W's customer service is top notch, well I guess I'll find out for myself later this morning. I hope I can get them to cover the cost of return shipping.

nero

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update:

I know an excellent local gunsmith that opens very early, so I took my S&W PPK to him this morning. He reinstalled the hammer strut for me in a few moments (he charged me a McDonalds Egg McMuffin for the service):cool: , but then he showed me why he thinks that it came off in the first place.

He showed me that when you pull the trigger on the PPK and hold the trigger fully back, the hammer can be pushed a bit more forward. He said that this is essentially an "inertia trigger/hammer set-up". He then showed me that when you do push the hammer a bit forward (while the trigger is being held all the way back) the hammer's pin nearly rocks all the way out of the U-shaped grove on top of the trigger strut. He then suggested that I call S&W's customer service and just ask for a new hammer strut to see if it's identical to the hammer strut in my gun (thinking that perhaps the U-shaped notch on the hammer strut in my gun may be a bit out of spec.).

So I just got off the phone with S&W (Walther USA) and explained the problem I had. The gentleman I spoke to was very friendly and helpful, but said that he had never heard of this problem before, but said that he would be happy to send me (free of charge) another hammer strut. By the way, S&W calls their hammer strut a "mainspring guide".

I'm going to take my new PPK to the range this morning and put about a 100rds through it and see how it does. I'll post how it functioned when I get back from the range.

nero

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it looks like I won't be shooting the PPK today. The hammer strut just popped off the hammer again.... :eek: :mad:

Looks like I'm going to have to wait and see if the new hammer strut (mainspring guide) that S&W/Walther USA is supposed to ship me is going to work. If it doesn't, I'll send the gun back to them for repair.

This sure doesn't inspire my confidence in S&W's "improved" PPK design....

nero

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Should be an easy fix, but one you never should have had to deal with in the first instance!

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
The whole bit of sorry business with the S&W-made PPKs is really odd, and disappointing. The guns either work well, or they don't work at all. You would think that a company with the long reputation of Smith & Wesson, as well as a company with the long and storied reputation of Walther, would not tolerate such a frustrating situation for long. Sadly, strangely, it has been going on from the opening salvo of their business arrangement.

Someone high up the food chain, somewhere along the line, is going to need to stand up at S&W and say, "Enough is enough." And the only way that's likely to happen is if firearms consumers stand up and say it first.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
At the risk of repeating myself, Walther should disconect with S&W, go back to making the PP & PPK in limited runs and contract with Earl's Repair to serve as US distributor - that might allow Earl to lower his prices.

Say what you want about Earl - he cares about the Walther product!!!

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
+1 to Brad's comment about Earl's commitment to Walther. It's equally evident that S&W does not care ... to any significant degree, at least. The only isse that such a move would make would be in the area of repair/customer service. Say what you want about S&W's arrangement with Walther, but Smith's customer service department is better than most and, most of the time, pretty dog-gone good. You have to wonder what would happen if Walther teamed up with Earl and he and his minion could not keep up with the increased demand.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'll disagree about building in Germany and then using Earl for distribution. If they do that you will have this gun below $650 period. I personally would not have bought a PPK/S if it was priced that high. Say what you want about Earl, but he has proven again, and again that his prices are overly inflated.

"Say what you want about Earl - he cares about the Walther product!!!" ... yeah because he sees it as a cash cow and he tries to fleece customers into thinking he truly cares. I am sorry if it seems I am way out of bounds here, but I don't see Earl as the answer. Walther needs to find another distributer ... who that would be, I don't know, but for the love of GOD, please don't let it be Earl. The supply of Walther products would continually stack up and sit on his shelfs due to high prices and no demand would be created for this gun.

On topic with the original poster, I hope he gets this resolved. I have had an issue with my .380 S&W and they didn't truly address the problem, but my gun goes boom every time I pull the trigger, and I am truly satisfied with the S&W product as I am sure the majority of its owners are as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts