Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I guess this was just announced. Anyone seen one? It's a .95" single-stack M&P series in 9mm and .40 with a 3.1" barrel. I'd love to see a range report/review comparing one to a PPS.

Kind of annoying that S&W undercuts Walther's stuff, but the M&P has a good reputation it seems, and concealable products are probably a rich market to target.

Edit: interactive view,

·
Registered
446 Posts
Ive had pics for a week or so (I can post one but they're easily googled now). A few months ago I would have been all over this. Why there isn't more single stack 9mms with decent triggers has been driving me crazy for years (and no I don't consider the Kahrs, Kel-Tec, etc triggers decent).

... But that was pre-PPS.

I'm assuming this will be very similar to the M&Pc (which Ive owned and is a good gun) but in single stack. Which would have had me drooling... Pre-PPS.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I think the thing I like most about the new offering by S&W is that they have a decent lineup of aftermarket stuff for the shield so that people who buy it don't have to bug manufacturers and plead for new sights, holsters, etc.

I've gone through this headache a few times now with the compact 9mm/.40 lines that everyone is rushing into production.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm glad more manufacturers are jumping on decent compact pistols like the pps. I have the fullsize m&p9 and I'm considering selling it to get the ppq. I definitely wouldn't trade my pps for a shield. I like the take down of the pps better, the trigger's better than the M&P and fit and finish are better imho. The mag release is also growing on me to a point where when I took them both to the range earlier this week the button release felt awkward. lol

·
Registered
446 Posts
I think the thing I like most about the new offering by S&W is that they have a decent lineup of aftermarket stuff for the shield so that people who buy it don't have to bug manufacturers and plead for new sights, holsters, etc.

I've gone through this headache a few times now with the compact 9mm/.40 lines that everyone is rushing into production.

This is a big reason I've avoided Walthers (and FN handguns) in the past. The lack of aftermarket support and the price of mags (at least in Walthers case). But aside from night sites (I'd love a yellow/green 2 dot setup for my PPS) and mag costs, I don't think the Shield will have much of an advantage for my purposes. My favorite holsters have PPS models... I doubt Crimson Trace will be able to engineer a grip laser for the Shield on par with it's other M&P offerings (too small). Which was one of a few reasons I switched from Glocks to M&Ps.

I'm more accurate with the PPS than any of the M&Ps I own/have owned (or Glocks for that matter)... So I doubt the Shield will shoot with the PPS (at least for me). I think I'll live with the available night sites and the extra mag costs.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Only issue is that is likely has the same 10 lb pull of big brother (adopted I think since so many police depts use the M&P and many agencies have trigger pull guidelines - i.e. Mass)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Only issue is that is likely has the same 10 lb pull of big brother (adopted I think since so many police depts use the M&P and many agencies have trigger pull guidelines - i.e. Mass)

None of my M&Ps have had anywhere near a 10lb trigger. More like 5-6... Before I did some work to get them down to around 4.5.

·
Registered
328 Posts
My only problem with this is that dealing with Smith & Wesson customer service is less than desirable. It may be a fine pistol but after dealing with their service for my PPS I'll pass. Service goes a long ways.

·
Registered
446 Posts
My only problem with this is that dealing with Smith & Wesson customer service is less than desirable. It may be a fine pistol but after dealing with their service for my PPS I'll pass. Service goes a long ways.
Their CS with Walther products seems to be hit or miss (I personally believe this is mostly about the logistics of imports). But among S&W owners it's almost universally considered top notch. My experience has been excellent over the years... Although, the one time I've contacted them about a Walther I was also pleased.

·
Registered
24 Posts
CT is making a laserguard for the shield,available in the fall. i will probably pick up a shield if they ditch the safety,maybe even if they dont. would be nice to have in addition to my PPS. might even make the shield a designated car gun.

·
Registered
172 Posts
So not interested.

S&W got into the singe stack game pretty late.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Their CS with Walther products seems to be hit or miss (I personally believe this is mostly about the logistics of imports). But among S&W owners it's almost universally considered top notch. My experience has been excellent over the years... Although, the one time I've contacted them about a Walther I was also pleased.
I concur, I just emailed them about an issue with my m&p and they're sending out a part, I didn't even give them my serial number. There's also a recall on my TC (they do warranty work for Thompson Center) rifle and they're sending out a return shipping label with the part for my pistol. So far, I'm impressed with S&W CS.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Maybe in .45 ACP. Other than that I'll stick with my PPS 9mm.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I have no interest at all. I will stay with my PPS.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
I got an email from S&W this morning regarding this pistol. Have to say that I sent it to the trash without opening it. After the mess with the S&W-made PPK pistols, I'm just not interested in what the folks in Houlten are up to these days.

1 - 20 of 171 Posts