Walther Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had bought this S&W K-22 used sometime in the early 1990s and enjoyed shooting it since then. For many years it had been my only rimfire revolver and was shot extensively but since a dozen years, my Korths have taken over at the firing line. One of the reasons for that was the smooth extraction of Korth revolvers and no cleaning attempt got the binding of spent cases alleviated much in the K-22. Korth sends a hardened bearing into the chamber that compresses the surface and leaves it super smooth, carbon deposits and brass just cannot stick to that.

I had taken the S&W to the range with me a week ago and just love the single action trigger characteristics, the wide trigger blade and trigger stop suit me well, as do the shabby Nill grips. Yet, the fun was spoilt by very hard extraction from the first cylinder on. When I made it home, I decided to take my .22 l.r. finishing reamers to the chambers and turn them only by hand.

What a surprise when decades of carbon, that had resisted all other cleaning attempts, came out. So I took the old gun to the range again, with five speedloaders full to quickly check extraction with Remington Thunderbolts, left over from the big ammo shortage, and went to work. I shot it at the cut outs from the B-27 scoring ring explanation at 10 yards, two handed hold.

Extraction was nice and easy and in single action, this gun shoots right along with my favorite rimfire Korth!

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
..... the fun was spoilt by very hard extraction from the first cylinder on. When I made it home, I decided to take my .22 l.r. finishing reamers to the chambers and turn them only by hand.

What a surprise when decades of carbon, that had resisted all other cleaning attempts, came out. ...
Interesting idea.

I've had the same problem for decades whenever using Remington ammo. Less so with Super X, but still annoying.

Maybe will try this myself, but very, very gingerly.

M

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of course carefully! I used no handle to force the finishing reamer but just the cutter and used my hands and a cloth over the rear sharp edges of the cutter.

I had this in mind for many years but always did not dare it, despite a S&W certified armourer, who kindly shared a lot of his knowledge with me, having told me that it is the best way to clean chambers. And that guy was good at working on guns, from S&W revolvers to 1911s and a great PPC shooter to boot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts