1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
Good choice. Had a Ruger 22/45...for about two days, never shot it, felt bad in my hands, and I thought it wasn't a looker.

Regards to all ~ Photo

·
Registered
113 Posts
That's a nice .22. I have both of the autos you mentioned and like them both. But their's something special about a wheel gun. My most recent acquisition was a Colt New Frontier Scout with .22 mag convertible and case color frame. It's a lot of fun, and sure makes a box of shells last a long time!

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I could have got a 10-shot version of the 617. But I don't compete with it so I didn't see any point in paying extra for it. Plus it seems like they are more difficult to find. Trying to figure out what a good ammo choice would be for this. It will be mainly for plinking so I don't need any hollowpoint ammo. And it really doesn't have to be super hi-velocity either. What I need is a good, clean ammo that doesn't funk things up too much. LOL...that may be an impossibility with a .22 :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Great Revolver!!!

I grew up shooting my Dad's K22, its still going after all these years. I think one could rightly say it is the only .22 Revolver worth owning!

Congratulations!!!

:cool:

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
489 Posts
The guy to my right at the range yesterday was shooting one. It was strange hearing such a small pop coming from a sizeable revolver. He was shooting the eyes out of the target at about 30 feet.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SELF: LOL...I know what you mean about the size. I was shocked to see the full lug barrel on it. I kinda wish I had that full lug on my 629!!! The muzzle flip, even with a super-firm grip, was amazing. Remember the first Dirty Harry movie where he is eating the hot dog and then had to engage a bunch of bank robbers? Well even though he was shooting blanks in the gun, he did an excellent job of "faking" the muzzle flip the .44 mag produces. The 617 is built on a K-Frame. The empty weight of the 617 6-inch is 45 oz. That's almost THREE POUNDS!!!! The weight of my 629 4-inch magnum is less at 41.5 ounces. :eek:

Dep

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
you have reminded me of this gun which I bought back in 1978, a good friend got one as well. We both still have them. One of the best shooting wheel guns I have ever shot. Here it is

I happened to find out that they are in current production of some barrels, so I ordered a 2.5" and waited four weeks. Wow. I now have a new gun, I love it.

Regards to all ~Photo

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Mentioned earlier,

But Photohause made me do it!!!! ;)

This one has been my pal since Dad brought it home in '63!

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
Nice Smith! Try some Tyler T's on them, I find it help the balance and improves the grip width.

photo

BTW Harry carried .44 light Specials, not mag loads.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
The return of the wheel gun is an interesting phenomenon these days -- and one that not everyone welcomes. Lots of folks of a certain age are getting them because they remember fondly one that their father or grandfather owned, or one that they themselves picked up when they were kids. Sadly, many LEOs around the country are not as happy about the new-found interest in the revolver. Today's crooks and thugs and bad guys have discovered that when they use one during the commission of a crime, it doesn't leave shell casings -- and potential evidence -- behind.

It's one of those sad facts of modern life regarding the hobby/passion that we all enjoy. :mad:

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Photo: Let me guess Dan Wesson Arms? I wish they still made them. I liked the pistol pacs of one frame and 4 barrels. My buddy had one in .357 mag. Very cool:cool:

153; WOW!!! That is a beauty. Is it a K-frame Masterpiece??

Searcher: LOL...I never thought I would buy wheelguns again. Us old geezers must be reliving our youth :D
I had a whole bunch of them when I was in my 20s. Wish I had all of them back now. When the autos went into maximum popularity the wheelguns were being traded in and sold off for PEANUTS. Now all those pinned barrel Smiths and Colt Detective Specials are commanding premium prices in the collector market. Who woulda thunk????

Dep

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Photohause,

The old K22 of usually wears a Mershon grip adapter, but for some reason it was not on when I snapped that photo. :cool:

For the rest, I have been shooting mostly the semi-auto pistols the last few months. Keeping all my shots roughly in the black at 15 yards seemed good shooting. Last trip to the range I took my old S&W 66, and ran some 130 grain ball ammo through it. I was shocked to see a single group about two inches across.

Reminded me of how good those old DA revolvers are!!!

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
153 - That's great shooting! I'm sure a lot of us will agree, going back to basics, revolvers for many of us, we can often surprise ourselves. I don't shoot nearly as much as I should or want to, and definitely not my wheelguns.

Dep - this is a .357 too. The pistol packs are still selling all over the place on auctions.

Regards to all~Photo

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Uncut: That hybra porting is interesting. I have no doubt it greatly reduces muzzle flip. However, I would be concerned that night vision and target detection would be impossible after the first shot. All the flame of a .44 mag flying straight up in front of you...WOW!!!! :eek: :eek:

Would probably be beneficial for daylight shooting, though.

You gotta get to a rental range and wrap your fingers around a .44 magnum with some full power loads. It will truly test your manhood if you can fire a whole box of 25 rounds without "counting them down" after the first six. :D
I'm gonna look into a Uncle Mike's shooter glove before I do any more magnum shooting. This old geezer doesn't need arthritis in his hands as well as his knees. :eek:

Dep

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
I have shot one of these SP101's in .357
and there is nothing coming out of the porting holes.... I was more than surprised

1 - 20 of 31 Posts