Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided I wanted to get a set of shooting glasses in my Prescription. For daily wear, I have progressive lenses and they are OK, but I wanted safety rated shield with interchangeable lenses.

Looked at a lot of styles, all seem OK but I liked the insert adapter for the RX so I won't have to start from scratch every time my prescription changes.

The frames, lenses, and inserts are fairly reasonable in price but the prescription grind is insane. A $100 set of frames, lenses and inserts jumps up to $500-$600 with the lens grind. One dealer wants $380 to grind as a progressive RX while another offers the same for $40.

With a 10X difference, I am tempted, but hesitant, to go with the lower cost and take a chance. I don't mind paying more if it is necessary but $500+ for RX plastic shooting glasses seems excessive.

Anybody have a feel for what useable RX glasses should cost for reasonable quality?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Tactical RX

One of the reasons shooting glasses can be so expensive is the safety ratings of them. Some of these lenses will survive pointblank shotgun blasts in testing. Sure your face would be hamburger, yet your eyes will be ok.

Reactions: BornFighting88

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tactical RX

One of the reasons shooting glasses can be so expensive is the safety ratings of them. Some of these lenses will survive pointblank shotgun blasts in testing. Sure your face would be hamburger, yet your eyes will be ok.
Well, I agree but the "safety" part of the glasses are about $60-$100 and everyone sells them for about the same. The prescription part is what adds up to $400-$500 more and prices vary by a factor of 10X.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
That comment about face being hamburger but eyes being ok.... Dark humor is oddly funnier than some other types. A few of my coworkers have prescription safety glasses for work in a machine shop so they can keep their Rx but still be safe at the machines and keep their standard glasses clean, scratch free, and safe. They complain about the same things, and as much as I strain my eyes reading micrometers or vernier scales (even with magnifying glass assistance) I am sure I will need prescriptions one day. Guess I have some money to "look forward" to spending, pardon the pun...

Don't know what brand they use, as they probably go through their Optometrist, but whatever they use it is pretty high quality. Come with built in side shields and are some pretty strong polycarbonate. Which drives me insane how it can cost so dang much, when you can buy sheets and bars of Poly for pretty cheap compared to most glass. But I digress. Hope you get it figured out, pal.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I decided I'll never know till I do something. Found a dealer with a decent rating, they have opticians staffing their call center, and they had a promo going. Bought a set of Wiley-X Saber Advanced with the WX Digiforce grind on the RX insert. Got the set with clear, dk grey, and light rust lens colors. They were't the lowest cost, but with the promo they were close enough. When I get them in a week or so, maybe I'll post a review if others might need them.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I considered the Rx route but the cost drove me to buy inexpensive safety glasses that fit over my prescription glasses. This works perfectly. Most cost about $20. I even bought safety goggles for movement drills but rarely wear them because the over-glasses work so well.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried those fitovers as well but the fit with hearing protection was terrible. It also bent my glasses frames so I had to rework those when I took them off. I also tried some non-prescription ESS Top focal shooting glasses. These are plain protective glasses with a corrective bi-focal element at the top of the lens. These worked pretty well as far as seeing the front sight but everything else required a glasses change. The interchangeable shield glasses with the RX insert look like a better way to go but I won't know till I get them and can determine how effective they are. Not happy about the cost but prices on these things vary wildly. For just one popular set, with RX insert, I saw prices vary from about $150 to $600. Don't get me started on stuff like Pilla where you could easily hit $2500 for a set.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thought I'd post an update. I got the Wiley X Saber Advanced with the RX insert yesterday. Very pleased with the glasses and the prescription. I opted for the WX Digital surfacing in a progressive grind and they worked out very well.

I was mostly concerned about having the insert clipped inside of the shield type lenses. I was surprised how well it worked, doesn't seem intrusive and peripheral vision is as good a glasses. I do need to fiddle with them a bit more to get used to the way the prescription lenses sit in relation to my eyes. I really like the idea of not having to carry multiple glasses as the Wiley X set included dark grey, amber, and clear lenses so I can just change shields if the needs change.

I've tried my regular glasses, stick on readers, fit overs, and top focal shooting glasses and the Wileys are, by far, the best solution. They cost more than the others (except my regular glasses) but I probably would have saved money if I had just gotten them in the first place.

If you need RX shooting glasses, these are great but do shop around as prices vary by 2x to 4x depending on the dealer and type of surfacing they offer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts