Walther Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Rust started developing on my P99 slide about a year ago. I now keep it well oiled in a moisture free environment. Anyone know how to get rid of the rust and re-finish the slide so it is not that apparent anymore? Help appreciated.

· Registered
450 Posts
I wonder how that happened? The pattern crosses over the extractor and tenifer finish of the slide. That's two types of finish in one rust spot? Maybe see if you can clean off the area on the slide. I think that finish is not supposed to rust. If the extractor's rusted, I could probably be replaced.

· Premium Member
6,729 Posts
https://rmktx.shutterfly.com/pictures/9
Rust started developing on my P99 slide about a year ago. I now keep it well oiled in a moisture free environment. Anyone know how to get rid of the rust and re-finish the slide so it is not that apparent anymore? Help appreciated.
Good grief! I'd send the photos to Walther and ask them for suggestions ASAP. BreakFree CLP or CO should protect it in the meantime. Your best solution is a new slide.

· Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Milspec is spot-on; something's not right there, and the company should be contacted. At the same time, Walther will surely ask what sort of abuse the pistol was subjected to to produce that bit of unsightliness. It just didn't sprout like mold.

· Registered
4,358 Posts
Given that this is on the extractor AND the slide - two seperate items. You can't blame this on Walther, and I would be very surprised if they do anything for free.

That's 1 specific area. That's gonna be blamed on operator error, IMHO.

If it were me. I'd buy a new extractor, and send the slide off to be refinished. You will pay a little bit extra over the refinishing to do some work on the effected slide area. But, that would be the cheapest route, IMHO.

Walther isn't going to fix that because some guy stored his pistol wrong. I know the original poster claimed itw as kept in a moisture free environment - but SOMETHING, SOMEHOW caused that. Stored improperly or some chemical got on the gun in that 1 area at some point.

A manufacturing defect where rust pops up isn't going to be that localized.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.