Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked on up. Not fired it yet. Anyone with experience with a carbine like this and use of an optic? Need recommendations.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Looking forward to hearing your impressions. The folks on the Ruger forum are swearing by those new fangled electronic thingamagigs for this carbine.

·
Premium Member
8,674 Posts
And this is in Walther General Discussion rather than Free Range Time because...???

·
Super Moderator
9,924 Posts
And this is in Walther General Discussion rather than Free Range Time because...???

Fixed.

I really like what I'm seeing on the new PC9, but I already have that niche filled with the superb CX4 carbine.

·
Registered
510 Posts
just browsing at Big 5 sporting goods the other day. The ruger carbine selling for $569.00. Held it, seemed solid with a couple of bells and whistles I liked. Not yet though. Still happy with my keltec sub 2000 gen 2.

·
Super Moderator
7,524 Posts
UE, the CX9 is a wonderful PCC, and due to the 'thru the grip' layout, it is nearly as short as an SBR.
The Ruger PCC seems to have a good rep, and the ability to use Glock mags is a plus.
I'm confused by their mounting of an aperture sight halfway down the barrel, but PCCs make all the sense in the world.
Moon

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just browsing at Big 5 sporting goods the other day. The ruger carbine selling for $569.00. Held it, seemed solid with a couple of bells and whistles I liked. Not yet though. Still happy with my keltec sub 2000 gen 2.
Paid just under $500 for it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Anyone with experience with a carbine like this and use of an optic? Need recommendations.
I picked up the PC carbine at my favorite shop a couple months ago for $469. They were having a Ruger event over the weekend and sold 39 of the carbines in 3 days. I picked up number 40 the day after the sale for the sale price. I was surprised to see that just a couple days ago they were still selling the carbines for the same price.
Great rifle - accurate, easy to take down, very fun to shoot, Glock or Ruger mags (I've got both), easy mount for optics, etc.
I didn't want to sink too much into an optic right off the bat, so I bought the ever popular Bushnell TRS-25 online for $44. Sharpest, brightest red dot of the three different red dots I own. Took only about 8 shots to zero at 50 yards. Has held its zero perfectly over about 550 rounds. I also bought a small riser with the red dot but don't need it. With the Bushnell mounted on the stock rail, the iron sights do not interfere with the optic at all and I have a very comfortable cheek weld on the stock.
Check out the Ruger forum for more information. Real popular rifle over there.
Here she is:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Redcat94;1140554[URL="http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/attachments/free-range-time/77040d1532220347-ruger-carbine-9-20170123_191514-1.jpg" said:

Two good lookin weapons there. One over the shoulder and one on the belt - that's style:)

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I bought a PC Carbine a few months ago, no issues at all. I like the fact that it comes apart, but for uses I found myself still preferring the funky plastic fantastic Sub 2000.

I put a Sig Romeo on mine, seemed to be a nice combo.

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
I found myself still preferring the funky plastic fantastic Sub 2000.
Sticking witgh my KTSub2K too.
One of my coworkers has a SUB-2000. He loves it and I shoot it every time we go out. It seems to be a very reliable little rifle. I've thought about picking one up but I think if I were to ad another PCC I'd rather get an MPX, CZ Scorpion, or Colt AR. And still thinking about an Uzi.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Old fuddy-duddies like me think that the original .44 Magnum carbine Ruger introduced in the 1960s was the only one of this genre that was worthwhile having.

They can still be found used for around $500-600.

M

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There are a bunch of options out there. I like the Ruger because it looks like more of a traditional rifle. But I like many of the others as well.

·
Super Moderator
7,524 Posts
Redcat, I finally went the red dot on a Storm, simply because the irons were less than great. Finally sold it to a buddy, who likes it a lot.
The current Scorpion is a treat, and it can be fitted with a brace to make a carbine. The original (7.65) Scorpion (with its wire, requires a stamp, stock) is really neat.

Mike, my deer hunting carbine is a Marlin lever in .44 Mag; in Westsylvania woods, it's hard to see more than 100 yds. The .44 has done a great job.
But I do love PCCs.
Moon

·
Registered
510 Posts
Old fuddy-duddies like me think that the original .44 Magnum carbine Ruger introduced in the 1960s was the only one of this genre that was worthwhile having.

They can still be found used for around $500-600.

M

MGMike, I own the 44 mag. My grandfather passed in the early seventies. He purchased it in the 60's. It was willed to me. I still shoot it to this day. Great little rifle.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
IIRC, the Marlin Camp 9/45 and the original PC9 went out of fashion around the same time. Interesting that Ruger is trying again.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts