Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

For the longest time I wanted one of those FN FiveseveN's but cost was prohibitive for a range toy. I see now Ruger decided to offer one. They are selling like hotcakes everywhere I look. Was thinking about diverting some slush money towards one. Anyone have any experience with this new one??

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I fondled the first one that came in that wasn't spoken for. It seems to use the same trigger system as the LCP II. It felt good in the hand, very light. If I had to own a 5.7 caliber pistol, I'd buy it and probably be pretty happy. Supposedly Ruger has an optic mount available for it already.

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
I fondled the first one that came in that wasn't spoken for. It seems to use the same trigger system as the LCP II. It felt good in the hand, very light. If I had to own a 5.7 caliber pistol, I'd buy it and probably be pretty happy. Supposedly Ruger has an optic mount available for it already.
So is it a good thing the trigger is like an LCP2?

Not trying go be funny. I've not shot an LCP2.

To me, it seems one of the good things about the 5.7 is how flat it shoots. Might make a decent long range pinker or vermin shooters. But that demands accuracy and practical accuracy is much easier with a good trigger.

Is the trigger clean and consistent?

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh man it would just be a range toy and scare the hell out of varmints in the field behind the house. If it’s a viable platform, they might start cranking out aftermarket parts. If not them, then some aftermarket company, no??

my father has the FN model, and it is pure joy at the range. Trigger fine, and accurate as all get out. Hacked out the center of a target at 15 yards with federal American eagle fmj ball. Recoil extremely moderate, as redundant as that sounds.... They do make some aftermarket stuff for them. So maybe just a matter of time. Hopefully.

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
The Ruger "Looks" nicer than the FN to me. Interesting story how the 5.7 design ended up at Ruger.
I agree with that. The Ruger looks nicer.

I give Ruger credit for breathing some new life into the 5.7 market. Seems like that did a good job of it.

Maybe Walther will come out with a 5.7. They know how to build good barrels and good triggers. They've been making target guns forever. I wouldn't bet on it though.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have no experience with the new Ruger, but tons of experience with many other 5.7 guns. I've owned the PS90 (3x) and two AR-57 rifles. They are certainly a lot of fun, and a real novelty, but dollar-for-dollar I decided to downsize all of them and focus on 9mm and 22's that I will love shooting, and shooting cheap and often.

The 5.7x28 is notoriously hard to reload, the factory ammo is expensive, and it's not exactly a great defensive round.

If you must have something like the Five Seven or the Ruger 57, you might consider dropping under 400 on the Kel Tec PMR-30 instead. In the long run, your wallet will thank you. That's just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I take it you have tried to reload said cartridge?? Even though the casings look annealed properly, are they like .223/5.56 in that the cases can sometimes buckle at the shoulder?? Thanks for the pointer, though. I know a few people that have gone for the PMR and the cousin platform the CMR 30 for that reason.

·
Super Moderator
7,183 Posts
Bottle necked cartridges are simply more trouble to reload; they should be trimmed, and the cases must be lubed and then de-lubed.
Frankly, I'm a little mystified by the 5.7. It's not clear what mission it has; would make a neat round in a select fire PDW.
Moon

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I honestly think you hit the nail on the head. From reading on FN’s website and various reloading manuals on the cartridge, that was the exact intent. The idea was to create an intermediate round that could be chambered in BOTH the service rifle and the sidearm of soldiers of nations who adopted the round as their standard. I believe it was submitted to NATO. Don’t know how far it went, but given that it isn’t adopted, probably stalemated. Another design pointer was capacities on a soldier’s kit, too. Can pack MANY more of those little zippers than trying to load down with 5.56 and 9mm.

Made logistics simpler by only having to tool up for one round instead of a rifle round AND a pistol round to supply the mud-agitators. Personal and private security were another market. It is a fun little round. Zipper of all sorts. Makes one HELLUVA bang when you touch it off in the pistol form. I can imagine the new Ruger is the same way. But it has a muzzle blast and a report like those big bore revolvers you see now. But ringing steel with it at like 25 yards is extra pleasing.

I hear what you saying about bottleneck cartridges being a pain to reload. I had a 357 SIG chambered pistol for a while, and I tossed more brass in the recycle bin than I was able to reload. I might not have been careful or patient enough, but after decap, and into the resizing die and it’d have a dent in the shoulder. Ended up being cheaper (for me) to buy remanufactured and new rounds than to invest in the aggravation of trying to hand load them. That was another fun round, too.

·
Super Moderator
7,183 Posts
I'm a hopeless 9mm PCC fanboi, cheap to feed, and easy to reload. Concur that what works for the military may not serve we mere schnooks who have to deal with our own ammo.
I can, and have, reloaded 5.56, but have found, on the cost/time equation, easier to buy factory when it's cheap.
Did score some factory 9s before the current goofiness, when they were cheap, but it's an easy round to reload.
Moon

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I picked up 45's in the same vein. Cheap and before this insanity hit us. I'm on eastern end of PA and our "fearless leader" decided to be draconian and lock us down until next Thursday. Could be worse, Eva Braun re-incarnate over in Lansing extended it until the 12th. Heaven help those poor souls.

I think once the state starts getting back on its feet, and the same for the nation as a whole, it'll level out again, as it did last time.

Still might fatten piggy bank up for this 5.7 from Ruger, though. I get a joy out of it.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
I owned a Five Seven years ago, and I've owned 3 PS90s since 2006. I sold my last PS90 because I have neck issues, and I no longer can sit at the range and shoot a rifle. So, strictly handguns now.

I have been tempted to get another Five Seven - but my local indoor range no longer allows that caliber. And Texas is too damn hot to shoot outside. The Ruger looks nice, and a nicer price point. I hope we see some other brands jump into that caliber soon.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I hope we see some other brands jump into that caliber soon.
That was one of the pointers in the NRA article I read on these things. That only a select few companies crank out ammo for it, at least currently. Hopefully soon more jump into the fray and increase competition and drive down the costs.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
That was one of the pointers in the NRA article I read on these things. That only a select few companies crank out ammo for it, at least currently. Hopefully soon more jump into the fray and increase competition and drive down the costs.
Unfortunately, that red box Federal 5.7 ammo is horrible. So many rounds come off from the case. Buying the factory ammo is really the only good ammo to buy.However, another company actually loads the 197 ammo for FN - and, they have the same issues. Plus, the 197 rounds are not loaded consistently (round to round). Only the 198 ammo is the most reliable and loaded correctly, box to box.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wait you mean the box of ammo shows up with pills dislodged from the case and powder everywhere?? Or they have pulled out a bit, etc.? I went through a box of 100 rounds of the Federal Red Box without issue thankfully. Just seemed weaker. Not as much zip. Am I just imagining that? What is the other company that loads it, if you don’t mind me asking? Aside from FN and Red Box, I don’t know of any others.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Wait you mean the box of ammo shows up with pills dislodged from the case and powder everywhere?? Or they have pulled out a bit, etc.? I went through a box of 100 rounds of the Federal Red Box without issue thankfully. Just seemed weaker. Not as much zip. Am I just imagining that? What is the other company that loads it, if you don’t mind me asking? Aside from FN and Red Box, I don’t know of any others.
MY mind has a lotta things going thru it right now, so I am not 100% sure. But, I think it is Fiocchi that loads the 197.
Most of the time, the rounds separate from the case as you try to load them into the mags. Or, they are just loose enough to jam the gun.

The majority of people at the Fn Forum use 198 ammo for self defense purposes - unless they buy aftermarket stuff.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts