Walther Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought one of the WAP10008 PPS 9mm, night sight/3 mags kits recently available on Grabagun. When it shipped to my FFL, it came with only 2 mags. They said just to call the dealer and they'd likely ship me a replacement (but I knew they were in super short supply so I should have known better.) They also said that once they took my paperwork they took the gun off their books, so technically when they presented it to me and opened it up for me, they considered it already mine. But they confirmed that it only arrived with 2 mags.

I emailed Grabagun. They asked where the gun is now - I told them I had taken ownership of it as the FFL had indicated that it was now mine. They then gave me the S & W number and told me I would have to call them and deal with their customer service. No apology, no "sorry this happened, we will help to make it right."

Called S & W. After wrestling with a phone tree, got to a person, who gave me the number for Umarex and said I had to call them now.

Umarex person in their service department was friendly but had no idea that there was a PPS 9mm kit that came with night sights and three mags. I gave him the SKU and read off the description from Grabagun and eventually he seemed to accept it, but then said they won't get any more until likely March so he'd have to ship me one then.

Again, no apology for shipping out a gun that was shorted one mag, no "hey, it sucks even more that now you have to wait an additional 2 months to get what you had already paid for - here's how I'm going to make it right."

The guy was friendly enough and I understand it was someone else's mistake, but clearly I knew the product better than he did at this point, and no one at Grabagun, S & W, or Umarex was willing to "own" the problem and at least give a simple apology for the brand shipping out an incomplete kit. It left me feeling a bit burned.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Makes sense that there will be some bugs in the system as it opens for business, as your headline advises here. While waiting for Umarex to get its act together, I'd go back to the place you bought it from and ask them to correct it ... again. That was you initial point of contact, after all, and the place where money was exchanged. I would expect Grabagun to stand by what they are pushing out the door; clearly they don't seem to want to, yet you are focusing your (warranted) ire on the new kid on the block.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I doubt the warranty lists the number of magazines in the box.

There are dealers that sell new guns with one mag and then sell the newly acquired mags at a handsome profit.

You are taking the word of the person that sold you the gun that it was missing a mag. It was their job to inspect the product before selling it.

If Walther/Umerex says they shipped 3 mags you are screwed.

Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If Walther/Umerex says they shipped 3 mags you are screwed.

Good luck.
Walther/Umarex said "I'm just taking your word for it that we actually sell a PPS kit with 3 mags."

So there's that.

When I emailed them my original invoice I also included the jpg from here that lists out each SKU and what's supposed to be included in each, so hopefully that helps.

Thanks for the suggestions. I did drop a note to Grabagun detailing my conversation w/Umarex, but I'm not confident I'll hear back from them.

I have some confidence Walther will ship me a mag when they come in, but beyond that it was just a crappy experience. If they don't, I'll escalate to their corporate folks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So they took your word as truth that you were shorted a mag somewhere along the chain of custody, and this is somehow a negative reflection on Walther USA's customer service? :confused:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So they took your word as truth that you were shorted a mag somewhere along the chain of custody, and this is somehow a negative reflection on Walther USA's customer service? :confused:
Read what I wrote above again. They "took my word" that their WAP10008 kit comes with 3 mags in general. The other facts were not in dispute. My FFL will vouch for the state of the delivery as will GAG.

The problem with customer service was not knowing its own product line and then not truly owning the problem.

But by all means if this sounds like great customer service to you, then let me know what companies you run so I can not patronize them.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Again, a new operation, with the bugs and kinks being worked out ...

I'll add this: If the conversation you had with the Walther customer service representative in any way resembled your comments here, I'd be happy to let you go as a customer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I think my tone here is pretty measured and I'm giving them a break. Nowhere did I say they suck or it sucked - I said it was a rough start, and not a great experience. I don't think that's inaccurate. If I receive my replacement mag eventually, that will be an ok resolution. I'll chalk it up to a rough start. But it's still rough. In any other form of retail, this would be considered a fumble.

If I sound like a problematic customer, you're getting the wrong impression. My interest is sharing the experience was merely sharing the experience.

And just to clarify, I'm not giving the dealer a pass either - this could have been smoother with them as well, to your point.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Sorry, but when you accept a firearm from a dealer through an FFL, you pretty much agree to accepting it as is, and they (both FFL and dealer) get to wash their hands of the subject. So now it's up to the manufacturer to "make it right" on their dime, when they know that someone out there got a free $50 PPS mag. Kinda like eating at a restaurant, if you complain about how awful the food is after you clear your entire plate, they're not gonna comp your meal as blindly.

I had accidentally ordered a WAP10006 (MA 10lb trigger) from Buds and they wouldn't let me change or cancel it even though I caught the mistake less than an hour after pressing the 'order now' button. I called my FFL, told them what happened, and asked them to outright reject the shipment. Had I not done that, I'd now be stuck with that firearm.

There are no "passes" for you to revoke, someone more than likely just stole that mag somewhere down the line of custody, not really anyone's fault that you've personally dealt with. No one is on their knees apologizing because no one you talked to can claim personal responsibility. Why would a phone jockey at Walther apologize to you because some warehouse monkey at GrabaGun misplaced a mag?

No to mention that Walther USA Inc is so recently new, that they haven't/won't receive shipments for firearms and parts until the end of this month.

The person to "take ownership" of this problem is you, for knowingly accepting an incomplete/incorrect package.

Fortunately, the commercial gun industry being what it is, you'll probably get that third mag eventually if you keep up communication and remain patient and respectful. Don't forget that they're (meaning Walther/Umarex) doing you a favor now, and aren't contractually obligated to get you that mag or anything. It's not the Apple Store or something. :p

Good luck out there, and Welcome to the Forums!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The person to "take ownership" of this problem is you, for knowingly accepting an incomplete/incorrect package.

Good luck out there, and Welcome to the Forums!
Thank you, and you're absolutely right - my own mistake was accepting the FFL transfer.

It was my first time through the process, and I should have pushed harder when the FFL, upon first opening the case for inspection and acknowledging along with me that it was short, then said "sorry, it's already off our books, you can't refuse the transfer." I have a right to inspect the goods to certify that it's what I ordered, right? They reassured me that it was no big deal, and I should just contact the dealer and they'd send a replacement. I should have just firmly said "I won't accept this, it's incomplete" asked for my paperwork back, and had them ship it back. That part is definitely live and learn.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Yep, it's the downside of not going to an LGS; lower price and less previous fondling by other people being the upside.

And it's a shame the FFL 'forced' it on you, rather than plainly offer to go through the rejection process with/for you, which I'm sure isn't a completely off the wall request. You absolutely should be able to inspect something before buying it... or in this case deciding to keep it.

But given the intel you had at the time, and the knowledge that PPSs are rare to begin with- so who knows if you'd get another, I'd say you did okay. You still got some nice night sights, right? ;)
I have faith the new Walther subsidiary will come though for you if you just play nice.

Which of the three mags are you missing btw? Just curious.

EDIT: On second thought though, since you didn't buy it from the FFL, they only make a meager transfer fee off you, and not if you reject it... So even they wouldn't have incentive to help you there, which sort of makes sense.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Which of the three mags are you missing btw? Just curious.
Yep, all in all, really glad to have the 10008 despite the snag. First range trip confirmed that.

What was missing was the 6-round mag. After going through about 10 pages of Google SERPs, I did find one at CTD and held my nose as I gave in and ordered it from there. Few more pages and I found the last 8-round at a small shop and picked that one up too. The reason for the mag hunt is that I want to take a practical course that requires me to bring a handful of mags with me, and want the PPS to be my primary there.

·
Registered
250 Posts
OP, was the case you received sealed with the white Walther sticker?? If it wasn't, then more than likely the mag was taken somewhere after it left the proof house in Ulm. Make sure you use an honest FFL and the Walther case sticker is opened in your presence. The number of mags should be listed on the Walther case sticker.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OP, was the case you received sealed with the white Walther sticker?? If it wasn't, then more than likely the mag was taken somewhere after it left the proof house in Ulm. Make sure you use an honest FFL and the Walther case sticker is opened in your presence. The number of mags should be listed on the Walther case sticker.
Here's a part of the process I'm not sure about in terms of how it's supposed to go, since this was my first use of an FFL transfer. The white sticker wasn't over the two sides of the case, so it wasn't sealing anything. But also, the FFL told me they open up all packages when they come in, to certify that the serial on the weapon matches the shipment paperwork.

It's otherwise a reputable place that I know of. It's a range that I frequent regularly and have friends who have memberships there.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Yep, all in all, really glad to have the 10008 despite the snag. First range trip confirmed that.

What was missing was the 6-round mag. After going through about 10 pages of Google SERPs, I did find one at CTD and held my nose as I gave in and ordered it from there. Few more pages and I found the last 8-round at a small shop and picked that one up too. The reason for the mag hunt is that I want to take a practical course that requires me to bring a handful of mags with me, and want the PPS to be my primary there.
The six round mag is the one I thought I needed but never use. The gun is plenty easy to conceal with the seven or even the eight round mounted. I would even like to see a ten round mag made. If nothing else just for night stand duty. Ed

1 - 15 of 15 Posts