Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recent issues involving roll pins in the CCP and a new issue involving the PPQ22 may indicate a more widespread issue than previously realized....at least among owners.

CCP issues:

Roll pin fails to hold striker spring locking catch in position when the slide is removed resulting in spring and locking catch ejection (2 occurrences). Pistols sent to Walther for repair.

Roll pin failure to hold firing pin safety in place resulting in safety dropping down and locking slide in a rearward position (2 occurrences).

PPQ22 issue:

Roll pin failure to hold striker assembly (1 occurrence). Walther replaced slide.

If anyone else has experienced an issue involving roll pins please post here so we can determine if there is a larger issue that should be brought to Walther's and members' attention.

Note: Request a sticky to keep this thread near the top for visibility.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Roll pins suck! My CCP is going back cause I took it to have the mag release
Switched to left hand and they expanded the pin above the Trigger and made a mess
Of the finish..... Walther said they will replace the pin fix the finish and switch
It to left handed mag release

·
Registered
185 Posts
Bought a new PPQ .22 Tactical about a month ago. After only a couple of mags the roll pin that goes through the slide (at the second from the front serration) and holds the breech block in started walking out from right to left. I hammered it back in but it pretty much it immediately started walking out again. I emailed Walther and they said they would send me a new roll pin, and actually offered if that didn't work to send them the slide and if the hole was out of spec. (I'm guessing too large) they would send me a new slide. At any rate I installed the new roll pin and so far it's staying put, but it's interesting that it must be a chronic problem to warrant this sticky thread, I will keep an eye on it and report back if it starts to go for a walk again.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Since my initial issue with the roll pin creeping out of the breech block, which was quickly resolved by Walther CS providing a new slide, I have had no further issues. By the way Walter is not alone in experiencing this problem as a friend of mine had two roll pins creep out on a SCCY pistol.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Update. The new roll pin has started walking out again. As before from right to left. I will be sending the slide to Walther as soon as I get an email back from them with the info on how to do that. Will update this post when it comes back. This is a PITA, first time I've ever had to send a gun back for warranty work. I'm thinking maybe they used a drill bit a little after time to change it out, I looked at the hole with a magnifying glass and it looks like the edges of the hole are a bit ragged, like the bit was dull, also possibly causing the hole to be oversize.

UPDATE: Slide came in yesterday gun went back to Walther today. This is starting to not be funny anymore. According to the packing list that came with the slide it wasn't new, it said refurbished on it. My gun is only a couple of months old, I was expecting a new slide. I cleaned and lubed it and put it on my gun, from the first rack it wasn't as smooth as my original slide and now it exhibits failure to lock into battery, with about a sixteenth of an inch of the slide sticking out past the back of the frame, if I take my thumb and push the slide forward it will fire. Sometimes it does go far enough forward to allow the hammer to drop but still not quite fully locked as it will have a light firing pin hit and the round and will not fire. I don’t know if the walking roll pin issue was cured as I couldn’t get it to fire enough to tell. Upon close inspection of the breech block it appears it is deformed at the top rear of the slide. It looks like it was pried up with a screwdriver or something similar. Not sure if this is causing the failures but it definitely doesn’t look right. Called Walther again and they said to send the whole gun in, probably should have done that to begin with but I thought it would just be a simple slide swap. Sending me a defective refurbished slide for a practically brand new gun was pretty crappy. Maybe I'm just unlucky, but my opinion of Walther QC and Walther customer service is dropping rapidly. Will update again when the gun comes back.

UPDATE (I hope final update): Gun came back yesterday. Looks like they put a new slide on this time. It is marked differently than the original slide or the refurbished slide they sent, as well as all the photos of other PPQ .22's I've seen. I've never seen another one marked like it. All the other ones just have a tiny CIP over N proof mark on the right side of the slide. This one has the serial number, caliber, country of manufacture, proof house symbol, and date code as well as the CIP over N proof mark on it. Weird, kind of cool but of course the serial number doesn't match my frame which a bummer. Anyway it seems to finally be cured, functions fine, and the breech block pin is staying put so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the PPQ 22LR and after the first 200 rounds, the slide's roll pin started to come out from left to right. I beat it back in and now after another 100 rounds, its back out. I've contacted customer support about this through email. We'll see their response.

I've noticed that the number of jams increased significantly towards the end of 100 round sessions. I don't know what this pin does in the functioning of the pistol, but the pin sliding out seems to have a direct correlation between the ability of the gun to feed properly.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Funny mine walked out from right to left. On the bright side this must be a fairly rare occurrence as I would have thought more people would have posted about this by now if it was systemic to the PPQ. Make sure they don't send you a refurbished slide like they did me, tell them you want a new one marked like mine in the photo above. So far it's been 100%, no more walking pin or jams.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So Walther Customer Service sent me a new roll pin after I contacted them. Their obvious step number one... I finally was able to get it installed and over the weekend hit the range again. Sure enough, after about 100 rounds the new roll pin had crept out about 1-2 mm again off the right side. It was very close to no longer having contact with the slide's frame. I beat it back in and finished shooting another 100. It is once again sticking out another 1-3 mm...

I'm going to follow up with Walther's again on this obviously as I can't be expected to have to beat in the pin after every 100 rounds. We shall see how they respond.

- GeoDirk

Update - Customer Service replied back within the hour and want to have me send in the slide for them to "look" at.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I received a brand new slide from Walter as a replacement. Only took 1.5 weeks to get it back from when I sent it in. I'm a happy camper again! Just in time for my trip to Idaho.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
185 Posts
Good deal, they didn't try to screw you over like they did me when they initially sent me a refurbished slide that was in worse shape than the one I sent them. Is it marked liked the picture I posted in my post #8? The serial number on mine is PPR00029, another forum member with the same problem got serial number PPR00030, it would be interesting to know what the serial number of the slide they sent you is, if you don't mind posting it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I was shooting my 40S&W PPQ and noticed that my thumb was starting to hurt. I looked down and saw blood.

I then found the source of my injury. A roll pin at the rear of the pistol has started to walk its way out to the left.
https://s16.postimg.org/deyszg839/PPQ_Walking_Roll_Pin.jpg[/quote]

I'm wondering if a roll pin walking out pretty much means that the part with the pin going through it need to be replaced. Has anyone who had a roll pin walk out able to solve the problem by just punching it back in? Or, has anyone solved their problem by replacing the roll pin?

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Drive the pin all the way out, clean the pin and the hole with some naptha (lighter fluid), put a drop of red loctite on the pin and drive it back in. Unless the hole is vastly oversize, that should be the end of it.

It's a lot easier than all this back-and-forth with Fort Smith.

M

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm wondering if a roll pin walking out pretty much means that the part with the pin going through it need to be replaced. Has anyone who had a roll pin walk out able to solve the problem by just punching it back in? Or, has anyone solved their problem by replacing the roll pin?
First thing I did was remove the old pin, clean the pin and hole, applied Loctite and using the correct roll pin punch put it back in, didn't work. Then got Walther to send me a new roll pin, repeat of above, didn't work. So I sent the slide to them, they sent me a refurbished slide back, didn't work. So I sent them the whole gun, they sent my gun back with a brand new slide, finally worked, YMMV.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Roll pins are hardware-store shelf items. They come in both SAE and metric sizes. Unless some part is pivoting on the pin, it won't hurt to switch to the other standard that provides a slightly larger size.

M

P.S. Or substitute a solid pin. This is not rocket science. In general, roll pins, being compressible and with an open edge, make lousy pivots.

Walther used to fix solid pins in place on air guns by staking one end lengthwise on the long side, to raise a line-like burr. This end was driven in last.

Make it a point to strip usable pins off any discarded piece of equipment and keep them in a box. Some of hardest and the best are needle bearings removed from automobile universal joints. I've used them for years; on foreign cars they are metric.

·
Registered
9,333 Posts
With due respect to Mr. Chandler.....:D I was a bit dubious about a sticky regarding roll pins......I mean....roll pins. But, time has proved this to turn into a topic of importance regardless of my skepticism....my humblest apologies...because "if my thought dreams could be seen, they'd probably"...well some of you know the rest. ;) M1911

1 - 20 of 20 Posts