Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A month ago I zeroed my RMSc at 15 yds. I carried it every day for the month and returned to the range yesterday.

The point of impact moved up six inches and two inches to the right. I zeroed it again and fired 50 more rounds and the point of impact stayed the same.

Now I don't trust the RMSc. Love it but don't trust it.

I've gone back to my M&P Shield 9 with Apex trigger and TroGlo TFX sights while I'm trying to figure out the RMSc.:confused:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Well that's disconcerting...

I'm looking at this same model so I wanna follow this thread...

What warranty comes on it?

After zeroing again, maybe dry fire and rack a bunch and see if it happens again. If just carrying knocked it off, the impact of racking should do it quicker.....?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Electronic feldergarb- bah.
Banging back and forth on a pistol slide, especially a short, fast-moving one like a PPS, puts a LOT of stress on things. I think eventually, someone will figure out how to make one that's durable, but we don't seem to be there yet.

That said, no small number of people have found that they offer a significant increase in shooting performance, so there's certainly incentive for the technology to develop.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Electronic feldergarb- bah.
Banging back and forth on a pistol slide, especially a short, fast-moving one like a PPS, puts a LOT of stress on things. I think eventually, someone will figure out how to make one that's durable, but we don't seem to be there yet.

That said, no small number of people have found that they offer a significant increase in shooting performance, so there's certainly incentive for the technology to develop.
The OP lost zero by carrying the gun -- sounds like he didn't fire it at all between zeroing and losing zero, which is more worrisome than losing it over hundreds of shots.

Maybe it's a fluke, maybe a defective unit, or maybe the RMSc isn't ready for prime time yet.

Many people have had issues with Sig's Romeo 1 that's being included with their P320 models, including losing zero.

I have many hundreds of rounds through a Trijicon RMR on my CZ and the zero hasn't drifted in the slightest. Maybe it all depends on a lot of variables?

I'll be curious what Walther tells the OP regarding the issue he's having.

·
Registered
316 Posts
If he's having issues with the Shield, he needs to contact Shield. There's a card that comes in the box that explicitly states.

"Thank you for purchasing this Walther firearm with SHIELD RMSc Optic. If you have any questions about your SHIELD RMSc Optic please visit the Shield website: www.ShieldPsd.com"

I'd say contact them over contacting Walther they made it not Walther.

·
Registered
129 Posts
If he's having issues with the Shield, he needs to contact Shield. There's a card that comes in the box that explicitly states.

"Thank you for purchasing this Walther firearm with SHIELD RMSc Optic. If you have any questions about your SHIELD RMSc Optic please visit the Shield website: www.ShieldPsd.com"

I'd say contact them over contacting Walther they made it not Walther.
Makes sense. I don't own one so I wasn't sure how that would be handled.

In any event I'm watch closely because I am interested in the model of PPS.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Clarifcation

Yes it lost zero during carry.

The adjustment screws are recessed set screws so I don't think that is the issue.

I have emailed Walther concerning warranty services for the RMSc. I will tolerate sending it to Walther in Arkansas but if it has to go back to the UK to Shield that's a deal breaker and I'll sell the pistol or remove the RMSC and go with TruGlo TFX Pro. As far as I'm concerned it's a Walther issue. I would assume they tested the PPS M2 RSMc to assure it met their quality promises.

I have a Trijicon RMR on my Q5 Match and have fired nearly 2000 rounds and zero has stayed put.

Shooting with the red dot is both quicker and more accurate than iron sights and offers a significant advantage for EDC, if it's reliable.

·
Registered
587 Posts
As far as I'm concerned it's a Walther issue. I would assume they tested the PPS M2 RSMc to assure it met their quality promises.
I agree with you and I'm sorry to hear you're having this problem. You purchased a Walther-branded product - not two products from two different companies. Your national Walther distributor should take care of the problem without you having to deal with the U.K.

Just imagine, your car breaks down and the manufacturer comes with: “Sorry sir, but we didn't make the gearbox. That was manufactured by a company in Taiwan and you'll have to contact them directly”.

Walther have two similar products in the pipeline, namely a Q4 Tac and a Q5 Match combined with the same Shield RMSc and problems such as yours could hurt sales of these products.

Your case underlines the problems which can arise when a manufacturer offers his product in combination with another manufacturer's product over which he has no quality control.

I hope Walther do the right thing and sort you out.

Balor

·
Registered
50 Posts
Not sure how Walther can be to blame for a third party add-on's failure. Even if they tested fired and zeroed it at the factory, surely they didn't carry it around for weeks to months to see if it held zero. That's not cost effective or realistic. Seems like it's a Q/A problem with the manufacturer of the red dot.

If it were me, I'd contact contact both Walther just to see what they say, and the company who accually makes the red dot to see what they suggest as well. They manufactured it, and they have detailed knowledge of common issues. Could not hurt to contact them to see whether this is a common issue which there is a somewhat simple situation...

·
Registered
316 Posts
I agree with you and I'm sorry to hear you're having this problem. You purchased a Walther-branded product - not two products from two different companies. Your national Walther distributor should take care of the problem without you having to deal with the U.K.

Just imagine, your car breaks down and the manufacturer comes with: “Sorry sir, but we didn't make the gearbox. That was manufactured by a company in Taiwan and you'll have to contact them directly”.

Walther have two similar products in the pipeline, namely a Q4 Tac and a Q5 Match combined with the same Shield RMSc and problems such as yours could hurt sales of these products.

Your case underlines the problems which can arise when a manufacturer offers his product in combination with another manufacturer's product over which he has no quality control.

I hope Walther do the right thing and sort you out.

Balor

I think this is BS because with car manufactures use a subcontractor to make stuff like a gear box or moldings. They are marked with that car manufactures logo normally, not the subcontractors. Therefore that makes it that car manufactures problem it has their name on it. This isn't the case with this sight. It has Shields name on it. If it was made by shield but had Walthers name I could understand it being their problem but it doesn't.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Regardless of whose name is on what, I'd contact Walther first ( easiest route of the two ), and go from there.
Also, if it were me, I'd check the installation screws, make sure everything
is tight. It happens.

Sorry for your problem & wish you the best in solving the issue.

For the time being, I'm looking at this as an isolated incident, and not ready to condemn the RMSc just yet.

·
Registered
300 Posts
As a forum owner, I alwys like the the idea of common people bring forth issues with gun products that you might not read in gun magazines.

You issue with the Shield is one that I will be standing by to see what the response and cure is.

I've thought about replacing my Z (will be) 4 year old PPS M2 EDC with one of the new RMS versions.

Next April, that is. My aging eyes will trump over my checkbook, I'm sure.

Let's hope that Walther or Shield will do the right thing in your case.

Seems like a cool Walther if the optic works well.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Unfortunately those of us who buy relatively new products are unofficial beta testers. I've been there before with all sorts of things, and know several P365 owners who could chime in on that experience too :(

But since you're in that unfortunate spot, please let us know who ends up offering warranty service, or what steps they suggest as a fix, whether they run you around and each points you at the other's customer service number, etc.

Hopefully, one or the other will say "Not on my watch!" and send you something to fix the issue ASAP. I'm annoyed at product failures, but much more concerned about how a company works to make it right.

As someone who's seriously considering this RMSc PPS, I'd be very, very interested in knowing your experience. It's always possible you just happened to draw a short straw and got the only goofy RMSc sight in the lot.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Roshi,

I'm very sorry to hear that your RMSc happened to lose zero just from carrying it. I hope Walther gets you taken care of, and please update here and let us all know what they tell you. As far as I'm concerned, this is a Walther issue. You did not purchase the optic separately from Shield, but rather you purchased a Walther pistol that is advertised on Walther's website that comes with the RMSc from the factory. That is not a third-party add-on in this case, but is rather a pistol in Walther's lineup.

Walther would be the first entity that I would be contacting if it were me. Walther decided to go with the Shield RMSc and they chose to put it on their pistol. Therefore, since Walther sells their PPS M2 RMSc as a package that they offer, I feel it is only right that Walther stands behind their offering. That's my two cents anyhow.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Another Update

I haven't heard from Walther yet.

Shield did respond, "The Sight has a limited lifetime warranty (electronics 7 years) so if a problem persists with the sight please return to us in the UK and it will be repaired or replaced."

I don't know who pays shipping.

When I first went looking for a pistol to replace my Kahr PM9 (reliable but the trigger isn't to my liking) I settled on a S&W M&P Shield 9 because they were dirt cheap (cost $ 200 after the sale and rebate) and I had fired one owned by a friend. I did add an Apex trigger ($140), TruGlo TFX sights ($ 90) and a Talon grip ($ 20). Excellent pistol. Better trigger and iron sights than the PPS M2 and better concealment with 8 rounds due to the 1 and 1/2 stack mags.

I bought the PPS M2 RSMc based on my Q5 Match Trijicon RMR experience. High quality and reliability of the Walther, good service, and the red dot allows me to overcome the problems of quick sight acquisition with my 70 year old eyes.

Without a reliable red dot sight the Walther has nothing for me better than the S&W.

Please note that I'm not pissed off or shouting to the world. I'm going to give the sight another chance. Then Walther and Shield services a chance.

This is the price of being on the "bleeding edge" of technology.

Thanks for all your comments.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Walther response

Walther says, "Shield actually handles the repairs on the sight itself."

Be a couple of weeks before I get back to the range. I'll let you know what happens.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts