Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago I went to the range with my buddy. I brought my m&p and he brought his 357 mag. So we get to shootin and he used to worked for a glass comanpy and had some ballistic glass. So we set it up it had already had a few 357 slugs in it. So I shoot t with the 357 and watched as it stopped the bullet, the 357 travels around 1300fps so I knew my 40 wasnt gonna go thru. I loaded 5fmj and 5 jhp cause I wanted to tryn recover a slug or 2. I let it rip as my buddy stood beside me. He was focused on the glass and didn't see me et hit. The 40 came stright back striking my colarbone. At this point I actually saw the slug. After the inaital holy "cow" moment I found the slug haha. I've only seen one other ricochet actually strike someone. It does say use catioun when shooting hard surfaces, all I know is I got wicked lucky an inch to the left and it woulda been my throat and it might not have ended with a sore collarbone for a few days and a cool story..I've seemed to have miss placed my slug when we moved. And though he quite often offers we don't bring the ballistic glass anymore.

·
Read Only
5,165 Posts
Thank your guardian angel. ;)

I've had 2 or 3 ricochets as well...thankfully none with anything bigger than a BB, and a .22lr. Still hurt like a son of a biscuit maker though, but didn't break the skin.

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
My girl and I were shooting one time, standing side by side firing at target with a sand/earth berm behind it. I fired the last shot out of my PPK's magazine and turned to return to the reloading area when she said, "Hey! My foot!" About two or three full seconds after I'd fired the bullet, it fell from out of nowhere and hit her in to top of the foot. The bullet was still hot; in fact I've still got it:

'Vet, I can't believe you lost that slug - I saw it myself one time when I was visiting him (and the Lexan sheet they were shooting at). The slug fit perfectly into a deep depression in the polymer... 'Vet is a lucky guy indeed because if he took that bullet in the eye it would've been a serious, life-altering injury instead of just a bruised collarbone.

-Pilotsteve

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
My girl and I were shooting one time, standing side by side firing at target with a sand/earth berm behind it. I fired the last shot out of my PPK's magazine and turned to return to the reloading area when she said, "Hey! My foot!" About two or three full seconds after I'd fired the bullet, it fell from out of nowhere and hit her in to top of the foot. The bullet was still hot; in fact I've still got it:

'Vet, I can't believe you lost that slug - I saw it myself one time when I was visiting him (and the Lexan sheet they were shooting at). The slug fit perfectly into a deep depression in the polymer... 'Vet is a lucky guy indeed because if he took that bullet in the eye it would've been a serious, life-altering injury instead of just a bruised collarbone.

-Pilotsteve
If you want to shoot at hard unyielding targets such as armor plate, it is safest if the target is suspended so that it is free to swing and soak up more of the striking energy, leaving less for a ricocheting bullet. It also is safer to hang the plate in such a way that it is not square to the line of fire but rather angled rearward at the bottom, which helps direct the ricochets into the ground instead of into the air.

Finally, don't get too close. The bullet spatter can produce razor-sharp fragments.

M

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
And though he quite often offers we don't bring the ballistic glass anymore.

Just bring two pieces, one to shoot at, and one to stand behind. :).

I had a BB come back and hit me on my lower eye lid once. It was freaky how I could see it coming, but could not move quick enough. Although typing this, I wonder if I blinked in time and that is why it hit my eye lid. I told my folks it was a bee sting.

Anyway, it hurt bad enough that I know I don't want to try it with a .40 cal.

Ed

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
im lucky i didnt break my colarbone, i had a nasty bruise on it for a few days and it hurt to rotate my shoulder. my son asked me what happened i had to tell him i walked up to my buddy who was mowing his lawn and didnt see me and it kicked up a rock and it hit me... im glad i was standing at least 10 yds back which is probably what saved me from removing copper and lead from my body... i had a my vest take a round back in 06 hit right above the magizne pouches the plate did its job but that energy cracked to ribs on my right side... i just took my plate to supply traded in my vest and got a new plate... ed you mentioned slow motion isnt amazing when you see bad things about to happen and even though its only a matter of seconds it feels like a damn half hour... i need to find this slug, maybe get a necklace made out of it or something... like that movie major payne "hey girl do you want this bullet from my heart... no it really came from my heart" hahhahahah

1 - 7 of 7 Posts