Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Might be a great gun, as might the “reissued” S&W classics, but for my money I will keep buying the originals. Likewise, I personally don’t get the interest in the Umarex Ft. Smith PPK(/S) pistols when so many fine vintage Walther and Manurhin are out there. My$0.02

·
Super Moderator
7,510 Posts
I wouldn't mind a Python, but won't spend that kind of money.
The reissued Cobra seems a nice enough gun, as does the Kimber, but Smiths meet my needs very well.
Moon

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I own more Smiths than all other brands of guns put together. Lately, probably because of dissatisfaction with newer Smith's, I've branched out a bit.

I now have a Ruger Sp101, a Colt Cobra and a Kimber K6s. They all have something to offer. The Ruger, once slicked up, is a very fine revolver that is quite shootable even with .357 Mags. The Kimber K6 has a nice trigger out of the box, good sights, recessed cylinders and is the smallest 357 six shooter out there. It is a very shootable, very concealable revolver.

I guess what I am trying to say is, I've finally figured out in late middle age that all new stuff is not bad and the revolver world doesn't necessary begin and end with Smith and Wesson.

Of course this is just my opinion and I respect yours may be different.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I have nothing against new guns, at all, it is just that I am old-school when it comes to revolvers. I have owned S&W, Colt, and Manurhin, although I am down to just Smiths. It is possible that I might have owned a Taurus .38 once back in the late-1980s, but I wouldn’t admit to it if it where true. ;)

Just curious, as I haven’t seen one. How does the size of the Kimber compare with the Ruger LCR? I shot a friend’s LCR in .38 and some +P two years ago, and I can’t imagine that it is much fun in .357. OTOH, that gun isn’t intended for fun at the range.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
I got a new Cobra last summer for a gift, the basic stainless model. I liked what they did with the trigger, I could never shoot my consistent groups with my Detective, but the Cobra is a breeze to shoot accurately with a short barrel. I'm very pleased with it.

·
Premium Member
1,833 Posts
I've also got the new Cobra and am very happy with it. I'm glad to see Colt back in the revolver business and can't wait to get this new King Cobra.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have nothing against new guns, at all, it is just that I am old-school when it comes to revolvers. I have owned S&W, Colt, and Manurhin, although I am down to just Smiths. It is possible that I might have owned a Taurus .38 once back in the late-1980s, but I wouldn’t admit to it if it where true. ;)

Just curious, as I haven’t seen one. How does the size of the Kimber compare with the Ruger LCR? I shot a friend’s LCR in .38 and some +P two years ago, and I can’t imagine that it is much fun in .357. OTOH, that gun isn’t intended for fun at the range.
Yeah...I draw the line at Taurus. Maybe some of them are OK but I'll never know.

I do not have an LCR to compare it to. I'd describe the K6 as about the same size as the Detective Special but shaped like a Smith 640.

Unlike the LCR, the K6 is all steel. I find it more controllable with .357 rounds than the J frames, even the 3" all steel J frames. Getting through 50-100 rounds is exciting but doable.

The Kimber, while not having the "soul" of the old Smiths, is a fine, well designed and executed revolver in it's own right. The action, while maybe not as good as the best Smith K frames is close. Whoever designed the thing did their homework.

I

1 - 8 of 8 Posts