Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend a retention holster for a PPQ with a 5" barrel? looking for outside the waist duty holster. only one i can find is is the safariland 577 GLS, which i have not used. I like there ALS holsters with the thumb, but they do not make it for the 5"

·
Premium Member
13,871 Posts
Here's a nice one. https://www.lsholster.com/the-crestone-l2/

Or if you like the Safariland 6377. Yes, its for the 4", but I opened up the end of the holster a little to allow the slide to pass thru...NOW it'll accept a 5". The barrel/slide will stick thru the end of the holster.

I modified the holster to make room for a Red Dot.....in doing so, I had to remove the thumb latch mechanism. But, there ya go....a 5" in a 6377. I've modified additional 6377 holsters (opening up the muzzle end) to allow me to carry a 4" or 5" WITH retention.

·
Premium Member
13,871 Posts
Nope, after I made that post, I went and took pictures, uploaded to imgur and edited my post with additional text and picture. :D

·
Registered
136 Posts
I sometimes run my P99Q ( PPQ ) on duty in Safariland. The release is with a forward MIDDLE finger while grabbing the weapon...

·
Registered
136 Posts
I looked for the GLS´s thingys for a while wondering... ;) Grabbed one in competitition stress and the GLS is fine for duty ! Since that I´ve been carrying one of my P99Qs close, in GLS. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a PPQ in 45 ACP with the threaded barrel. I didn't need an active retention system. Kevin at Muddy River Tactical built a paddle holster that accommodates the threaded barrel and tall sights. The PPQ clicks in firmly and takes effort to draw but it's still a passive retention system.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have you considered cooks holsters?
Have not, i never heard of them. Will google them. I contacted Safariland about a 7378 for the 5". there catalog shows it but not available for order yet. must be a new product. When its available, i will order that. For now, I will still carry the Glock.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kelo4366, i googled Cooks, Looks like they do not have a model with some kind of retention. Not exactly what i am looking for.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
URKKI, i agree. Safariland is the only way to go. But they do not have a 5" ppq M2 yet. I have a 6378 for all the pistols i own except the 5". I want to carry when out in the mountains and woods and i need a solid retention (specially on a ATV). Looks like that ppq will have to sit in the safe or i sell it can continue using the glock.

·
Premium Member
13,871 Posts
Had to open up the end just a little to let the muzzle stick thru.

Yep, had to remove the ALS retention mechanism and cut a slot to make room for the RMR....no retion, but I can still carry the Q with an optic.

Use this one for my P99. This holster won't accept a PPQ, but I think I know why....I've ordered another one to experiment with.

Now I'm looking at the Safariland offerings trying to find a light bearing holster for the Q.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Had to open up the end just a little to let the muzzle stick thru.

Yep, had to remove the ALS retention mechanism and cut a slot to make room for the RMR....no retion, but I can still carry the Q with an optic.

Use this one for my P99. This holster won't accept a PPQ, but I think I know why....I've ordered another one to experiment with.

Now I'm looking at the Safariland offerings trying to find a light bearing holster for the Q.
I also thought about doing that, but the muzzle needs to be protected. I used the bianchi military holster, but it soaks up the mud and water too much

1 - 20 of 32 Posts