Walther Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My name is Ryan. I am new to this forum. I am in the process of researching the origins of my Walther PP 7.65 mm, and thought I would reach out to the experts on this forum for some help. Specifically, I am looking for your help in determining the date and location of manufacture of this pistol.

History: My Walther was given to me by my father. Long story short…it was originally acquired from a dealer in the Santa Ana, CA area in the 1970’s who apparently bought them in bulk from the Belgium Police when they were transitioning to a new caliber.

Markings:
On the left side of the slide — the bannered “Walther”, then Carl Walther Waffenfabrik Ulm/Do. Model PP Cal. 7.65 mm. Followed by a stamp of what appears to be a Crown with an “N”underneath.
Also on the left side of the slide behind the safety: 656
On right side of the slide: Heckler & Koch, Inc. Arlington, VA (this one surprised me; I did not know H&K imported Walthers at any time during their history).
On the left side ofthe receiver: below the magazine release, a stamp that, for the life of me, I cannot figure out (best photo I could manage attached).
On the right side ofthe receiver: the serial number “85656” (this one stumped me as well, most Walthers have a 6-digit S/N ending in a letter, in this case there should be a ‘P’, but no 'P' exists).
Below that is a stamp of what looks like the German Eagle with the ‘N’ underneath.

I suspect, based on the above, that the slide and receiver may not be original to each other, and wonder if they need to be researched as two separate firearms?

That is all the information I have. After a complete disassembly of the weapon, there are no further markings or unique attributes. I’ve attached the best photos I could manage. I sincerely appreciate everyone’s help in determining the specific location and date that this pistol was manufactured.

Semper Fidelis,

Ryan

Attachments

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
The H and K mystery is easily solved: H&K them in as trade-ins wholesale when agencies switched to an H and K product, and sold them on the surplus market.

As far as I can make it out in your pic, that mark could be the coat of arms of the state of Hesse, shown X'd out here:

As to the mystery of the 5 digit serial number, or why the slide looks like it has been ground flat and refinished, if I'm seeing this right, I have no idea.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts