Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did watch the video, so I'll start out with that.

Has anyone ever tried this and would care to share experience and/or tips?

I bought the green optic stuff to do this as I prefer green for my shooting. I've seen a few folks have their light tubes fall out/lost at matches and want to avoid this problem when possible.

Do you carry spares and the equipment to replace? Can you make up a few in advance?

Appreciate the help

·
Premium Member
13,871 Posts
I don't know which video you watched, but Dawson has a good one.

As for making up a few in advance, I don't know why you couldn't. Just flare the back end as per the video, then mark, score and break the front to the proper length. Remove this piece and put it in a small plastic bag.

Another good video.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I watched the Dawson video. Good stuff.

I figured to make a few for field replacement and put them into an empty pill bottle. And carry a BIC lighter. We'll see how it works.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I watched the Dawson video. Good stuff.

I figured to make a few for field replacement and put them into an empty pill bottle. And carry a BIC lighter. We'll see how it works.
Just carry the full pieces. Chances are one of your squad mates will need one before you do. I have ones of diff. diameters and colors always in the range bag for Majors.

Unfortunately, a spare gun is what works best when your CO pistol dot dies unless its just a battery.

·
Registered
978 Posts
The main reason they fall out is they are loose in there and bouncing back and forth from slide movement breaks the end off. I've even seen new ones from the factory like this. Make sure you heat the bulb, without it touching the flame, until there is no movement in it. Also, make sure the bulb is big enough on both ends to avoid "peeling" the edges off.

I carry a kit with me and get a three bucks from guys who break them off at matches. I don't get rich off of this, but it helps pay for supplies.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just carry the full pieces. Chances are one of your squad mates will need one before you do. I have ones of diff. diameters and colors always in the range bag for Majors.

Unfortunately, a spare gun is what works best when your CO pistol dot dies unless its just a battery.
I have FO sights on my Gold Cup but they're different diameter. Which is unfortunate.
I figure to cut a few piece of the FO tube and carry them and a BIC to the match.
And I always carry a spare gun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts