Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my new P99 AS 9mm, but I'm seriously considering replacing the front sight with a HiViz fiber optic sight. I have them on my Sig and Ruger and they're great.

My only concern is that the fiber optic dot size will be significantly bigger than the rear sight dots. I have that problem now with my Ruger and it's a bit of an inconvenience.

Can anybody recommend a source for replacement rear sights with bigger dots -- that don't cost an arm and a leg? I'm just looking for standard, white dot sights -- nothing fancy.

Appreciate the help!

Jim

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
471 Posts
Sent a request for their catalog. Also added a note that when they make a rear sight for the P99 to let me know... They sure look like nice sights...

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hal -
I've sent several email questions to HiViz (NorthPass) with no response. Great sights..but their customer service leaves something to be desired!

Stopping -
That's a Navy 1911. My great-uncle was a torpedoman chief and served in the Pacific in WWII. He carried that .45 with him and "brought it home" when he retired in the 50's. My grandfather (his brother) ended up with it and it passed down to me. It's rough and worn, but it has a lot of history and character. It's an original 1911 -- part of a delivery to the Brooklyn Navy Yard in August 1912. I don't shoot her much but I'd never give her up!

Jim

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't tried the TruGlo TFO (tritium-fiber optic) sights, so I don't know if the HiViz are better or not. I do know that for around $20, it's a great deal.

The insert is just a piece of fiber optic plastic. The set comes with 6 inserts -- three different sizes, each in red and green. I use the smallest green on my guns. I don't know if you can change the inserts on the overmolded style of sight (like the one for the Walther) or not. My others are all open-mounted.

You should try to find someone who has one installed and check it out. If you do any outdoor shooting at all, you'll be amazed at the difference compared to regular sights or night sights.

Jim

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, no, no....HiViz front sights run around $20. (The Walther sights are $27 -- I paid $20 for my Ruger). I was saying that the HiViz are a great deal. As far as I know, TruGlo's run on the order of $80 or $90 or more.

Sorry for any confusion!
Jim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts