Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody still make replacement extractors for these guys? Looked at Volquartsen, but looks like they don't make them anymore. Those hot casings end up in some painful places....

Also, I've read in here Remington golden bullets run well in these little guys, but I have failure to feed issues, as well as a really bad problem with the casings remaining stuck in the chamber. I literally have to pry them out with the always handy Swiss Army pocket knife. It usually happens towards the end of shooting (or maybe shooting ends because of it).I clean after every session, and rarely run more than 100 rounds through in a session. That ammo seems to be really dirty right out of the bucket. Have a Ruger 10/22 that hates it as well with constant stovepipes.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I’ve been using RGB’s in a P22, a 2013 PPK/S .22, and now in a Ruger LCPII. I started out with the 525 bricks and had very few issues. I then received a couple of buckets of them as gifts. One bucket was sent back to Remington due to the number of failures and they sent me a refund check. The second bucket is better. I do find them a bit smokey and create more fouling. I’m not sure but it appears to me is there is a difference in the product between the bricks and buckets.

if you can find them, try a individual box, a 525 brick.

·
Registered
10,490 Posts
Surfdog, if the rounds are getting stuck toward the end of your shooting session that sounds like a dirty chamber. In a clean chamber rounds should drop all the way in with a plunk under gravity. Sometimes you have to scrub that chamber with a wire brush. Yes I agree the RGB rounds are dirty and smokey. One thing good about them though is they are priced as bulk ammo (as inexpensive as it gets these days) and they have enough umph to cycle the slide of a P22.

Remember, these are blowback pistols and the pressure of the gas acting on the case is what extracts the round from the chamber when firing. The extractor is only used when unloading and to remove a stuck case. Try pressing down on the nose of the extractor when trying to remove a spent case. Not the rear of the part as that can lift the nose.

I'm not aware that VQ quit making the part. I sent them all of my concepts years ago and asked them to make some that better closed the gap between the rim and extractor tip. They did. Wildtoad may be onto something but I can't say I've really experienced it. I've shot a couple of buckets and at one sitting during the past year and I didn't see any difference in that packaged ammo vs the 535 round boxes. But with the demand for all ammo....who knows what might be going on.

If your P22 is a 2018 model or later there have been a very few reported here with tight chambers. A trip back to Walther for honing as solved the issue. But cleaning of the chamber and I mean spotless is job one. These pistols should not be that picky. The ones I have and have had will run a thousand rounds to three thousand rounds without issue and without cleaning. I have had chamber/barrel leading issues if I fire Federal plain lead fast and furious on a hot day in this neck of the woods. Always carry a cleaning kit to the range or keep one handy for cleaning the barrel every once in a while. If the problem persists with a lean chamber try some Mini Mags and if those don't run...call Walther at Ft Smith. They will ask what ammo, ask you to clean thoroughly, firm grip on the pistol etc. but they sill service the pistol for free if something is wrong with the chamber other than dirt. A bad chamber is really rare though. Usually it is dirt build up which can be hard to remove without a thorough scrubbing from time to time. 1917

·
Registered
11 Posts
Can try here:
Never used them before
I bought one about 6 months ago and finally installed it. Still haven't gotten a chance to test it out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a replacement extractor for my P22 from Lugus Manufacturing, and it works perfectly! It's just a little shorter than the original extractor and the Volquartsen replacement, which are too long to properly grip the cartridge rim. The Lugus extractor makes a perfect grip, extracts flawlessly, and ejects cases uniformly every time.

·
Registered
10,490 Posts
Have you got a photo of the extractor and how it fits with a round installed in front of it? That would tell me a lot about the new part and tolerances. Sent you a PM gun-will-travel. We'd like to see your extractor. Thanks. 1917

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had to have my 2016 slide replaced that cracked on the left side of the ejection port. The replacement slide has an extractor with the hook angled in towards the cartridge rim more so then my original slide’s extractor. This new slide seams to eject the spent cases in a more consistent direction, were as the original slide tossed the spent cases in several directions with some tossed forward or back at me. Apparently Walther made a change to extractor. I believe 1917-1911M had something to do with that.

Also. The replacement slide came with the self captured recoil spring/guide rod. It’s so much easier to reassemble the slide to the frame now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Anybody still make replacement extractors for these guys? Looked at Volquartsen, but looks like they don't make them anymore.
I just got one a few weeks ago. Installed it and a new captured spring, along with one of those barrel adapters. Also did a little hone/polish work on the feed ramp. My P22 is one of the first-gen models, so I'm really looking forward to running it soon.

·
Registered
10,490 Posts
Kal, did you get the Lugus extractor? If so would you remove the slide, place a round under the extractor and take a photo of how the part fits against the rim of a round. Thanks....1917

·
Registered
17 Posts
Kal, did you get the Lugus extractor? If so would you remove the slide, place a round under the extractor and take a photo of how the part fits against the rim of a round. Thanks....1917
No...I got the VQ. I'll be running it within the next couple of weeks and if it's not to my liking I'm getting the Lugus. I'm also looking at getting a new slide because I don't want my old one cracking at the wrong time. Are extraction issues any better with the new slides?

·
Registered
10,490 Posts
The new slides have the same extractor and set up as earlier P22s.....since about 2007 or so as far as I can tell. The slide was beefed up a bit in about 2010 or 2011 with the introduction of the P22 Q model....PPQ ergonomics, grip and slide. Then in late 2016 and certainly in 2017 the captive recoil spring assembly was provided. It works well in earlier pistols but you have to drill out the guide rod hole to 1/4". You will not be able to reuse the old style RSA after that.

The original extractor had a square cut and large gap between the hook and rim of a cartridge. This was revised in 2007 or so, shortly before the VQ extractor was manufactured. I had several discussions with Walther and VQ regarding what I thought needed to be done to the part. Finally Walther changed the part, slanting the tip back a bit. I advised VQ of the change and they decided to hold off a bit and see how it worked. It still wasn't moved rearward enough in my opinion and VQ decided to go ahead with production. They made a nice part but they too did not tighten up the gap enough in my opinion.

Hence my interest in the Lugus extractor.

My 2 cents is that the extractor needs to fit like this homemade one. Or, like about any old Ruger or Browning model. Just to be clear the P22 is a blowback pistol. Extraction of the spent case is by blowback gasses forcing the spent case out of the chamber with enough energy to move the slide, compress the recoil spring, cock the hammer and still hit the ejector hard enough to bounce out the ejection port. The extractor does two things....is used to unload the pistol and it does play a part in the consistency of spent case ejection direction. I removed the original extractor years ago and fired a couple of hundred rounds. Ejection direction inconsistency wasn't much different from when the part was installed and all of the cases flew out....perhaps right between the eyes but they flew out. The long pivot design and the gap has been a problem from day one in my opinion. That and that there is no support for the rim along much of the breech face. But, there is thread after thread about this going back years and years. A RimFireCentral Member named 1Dogfish working with CAD design and milling and made some beauties to my specs. They worked great until his wife, a lawyer, found out and put an end to that. lol There are threads on that too somewhere. 1917

·
Registered
10,490 Posts
I should add that Walther has played around with the chamber/extractor cut over the years. As far as I know I started the whole filing the lower lip of the chamber down a bit in about 2005. Was I having any feeding issues....no, just ran out of stuff to do. Thread on that way, way back. Then Walther began to do it and in 2009 their work was sloppy and they cut the steel too thin at the extractor cut. This could cause the steel to crack. Some cracked so badly that the cases were blowing out. I had to join one Forum just to tell the OP to stop shooting it, what was wrong and to call S&W who imported them at that time. Thread on that too way, way back. My 2009 model had the same issue except that I carefully filed the steel off just a bit to remove the thin edge. Since about 2017 Walther has been doing the same thing. Other than earlier issues they are now producing a very nicely made feed ramp and rear chamber and have been for the past eight years or more. I've done very detailed threads on this along with photos but the extractor tip has to reach far enough forward when the slide is closed to be able to get in front of the rim when a round is full chambered. The design of the breech face, chamber and extractor cut and extractor all have to work together. Most .22 rifles and pistols that I am familiar with have a shorter pivot point from the extractor face which causes the part to move rearward a bit as it closes over the rim. This is beneficial in my opinion. 1917

Perhaps the first chamfer. I did this in about 2005 and posted photos of it. It didn't cure any issue that I was having. When Walther began doing this they carried the chamfer cut further up the sides of the chamber and in the process made the steel too thin at the extractor cut.

New, right out of the box 2009 Walther work and their effort at adding a chamfer. I could barely straighten this work out. If you look closely it looks like they added relief around the entire chamber entrance perimeter. I have no idea why.

Better angle showing how thin the steel was and how the extractor tip could break it off.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Good info. I just got a message from Lugas on Ebay that they would sell me an extractor for $20 instead of $25. I gotta go for it.

·
Registered
10,490 Posts
This is the shot we are looking for when the Lugas gets in. Round squarely seated on the breech face....looking to see what kind of gap if any exists with the new extractor. VQ shown below and as you can see there is still a sizeable gap. 1917

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is it with a MiniMag round on the breech face. Still a significant gap there. I haven't shot it yet...hopefully soon. I'm thinking I'm glad I have the Lugus coming.

Wood Cylinder Publication Gun accessory Gas

·
Registered
17 Posts
Punched off about 80 rounds this morning (Norma lead bullet and MiniMags) and ejections were nearly perfect every time...90 degrees and horizontal. I have to admit I'm somewhat suprised, being that there was still a noticeable gap with the new VQ extractor. Need to get my hands on a few more different kinds of ammo before I call it "reliable".

1 - 20 of 29 Posts