Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The veil has been dropped. We have seen the democratic candidates coming out openly with their real plan; they want to do away with the Second Amendment completely. The First Amendment has been under attack for a long time and pressure of political correctness has taken its toll.

My son had a day off last week and wanted to visit a state park in Cleveland, right at the lake. In order to enter the park, you had to walk through a building. A federal building - and there was a sign that did not allow firearms. There was no way around the building to enter the park. He turned around and left but he will use his social status to fight back.

This has caused him to buy his first NRA membership himself and he will contact his representatives and start fighting back.

I am proud of Dr. Rick to take this time off his busy schedule to fight for what he believes in.

In this critical time, we have to step up the efforts and the NRA is our only voice. We cannot find the time to demonstrate in some city streets ourselves and we definitely would not get any positive press in this messed up society, to begin with.

3%

·
Premium Member
13,548 Posts
Yep, scary times for sure. I did my part....I've been open carrying ever since they passed the law. After Walmart came out the other day and said they'd be asking people NOT to open carry in their stores, what'd I do? I promptly strapped on a Q and went strolling around a couple of Walmarts. At one of the stores I was actually approached by a Walmart staffer that, very nicely explained their 'new' position and asked to go put the pistol in my car. I said thank you, I have your request and continued shopping....or at least looking around.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
You wrote: "the NRA is our only voice."

Not so. In fact the NRA has become one of our weakest voices as it self destructs. I support Gun Owners of America, a no compromise advocate for 2A rights. when NRA caved on Bump Stocks GOA did the fighting. I support Second Amendment Foundation, which used the courts to fight for 2A rights and is generally more successful at the than NRA. I support Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime, which lobbies and fights 2A legal actions in PA. Last week it won two cases in appeals court that the NRA had lost in trial court, and did not appeal. There are numerous cases cross the country in which state and local gun groups accomplish locally what the NRA did not take on.

The NRA has spent itself into near bankruptcy because its Board of Directors turned over control of the Organization to its CEO and its PR firm, and now it is being sued by the PR firm and vice versa. Management failure is a decease at the NRA.

Its Executive Director had a compensation package with $4 million dollars a year.the private airplane flight he and his family took were paid for by the NRA, which also paid for his Muti thousand dollar wardrobe. There is more but you must get the idea by now.

I did not get the above from the mainstream media. It comes from the gun industry media. It has been reporting on the members of NRA Board who have resigned because the Board fails in its duty. It comes from employees who were tired of wasting their energy in an organization that has served itself at is members' expense. It comes from members who have appealed to NRA management about the state of affairs only to be ignored.

Never before did Democrat presidential candidates be so outspoken about gun control, bans, buybacks as they are now. What changed is that they are no longer concerned about the NRA. They see it a broken, and it is broken.

Sorry, but there are better places to send money to protect your 2A rights. Check them out.

·
Premium Member
13,548 Posts
No signs posted yet. But you can find the wording with a simple 'google search'. Here's the part you asked about.

The retailer is further requesting that customers refrain from openly carrying firearms at its Walmart and Sam’s Club stores unless they are law enforcement officers. However, it said that it won’t be changing its policy for customers who have permits for concealed carry. Walmart says it will be adding signage in stores to inform customers of those changes.

The associate, never asked to see my concealed carry license. Well, maybe that's because I wasn't carrying concealed. :D Makes no difference, I open carry now and prefer it to concealed carry.

1942bull, thanks for the reminder. I just jumped on a GOA Lifetime membership.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I never was a NRA member but am unfamiliar with GOA. You obviously have full faith in the organization....what do they provide?

Mother Jones says:

This group was founded in the late ’70s by H.L. Richardson, who was also a member of the NRA board of directors. Since then, GOA has built up a membership of more than 300,000 and its leadership routinely lambastes the NRA for being cowards who cave too much to the Democrats.

And lists them under "7 Gun Groups That Make the NRA Look Reasonable"

Good enough for me!

·
Registered
828 Posts
Mother Jones reported GOA membership (300,000) is low.
In 2018 GOA membership was about 1.5 million. Now it may be around 2 million.
Hard membership numbers are not usually reported. So news reports are few.

·
Super Moderator
3,853 Posts
No signs posted yet.
No signs means the business has not taken any official measures to ask or inform each and every patron of its position. Put another way, I have yet to be officially informed about the business's stance … or asked to adhere to a new posted policy.

If they ask me to leave, I will. (If asked to do so, I would whether I was carrying or not, as I respect private property and the rights of the owners thereof...)

·
Registered
48 Posts
No signs means the business has not taken any official measures to ask or inform each and every patron of its position. Put another way, I have yet to be officially informed about the business's stance … or asked to adhere to a new posted policy.

If they ask me to leave, I will. (If asked to do so, I would whether I was carrying or not, as I respect private property and the rights of the owners thereof...)
You expecting a letter in your mailbox? A public announcement is a notice. Signs will follow. Showing up at the store just to be a dick about it achieves little.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Where I live, a business must post a sign at the entrance door to restrict firearms unless they are already banned by legislation for those specific entities that (should be) widely known to responsible gun owners (and which usually still have signs). If Walmart has no sign, then carrying is implicitly allowed, even if it is not necessarily the best decision. Intentionally antagonizing the security staff of a business doesn’t appeal to my perception of responsible gun ownership or advocacy by example.

·
Super Moderator
3,853 Posts
Guys, it’s called concealed carry for a reason....
Concealed carry is merely one tool in the defensive carry toolbox. Another is open carry. Armchair tacticians tend to poo-poo on open carry because it supposedly gives up the element of surprise. What they fail to remember is that we carry for defensive, not offensive reasons -- and there isn't a military on the planet that teaches surprise as a defensive tactic. (Surprise is always an offensive advantage.)

Those who elect to open carry (where permitted by law) gain the benefit of deterrence by doing so. A would-be attacker has no idea if the person is an off duty LEO, a lawfully-armed citizen, or what-have-you. Those who scope out potential victims to size them up for potential resistance see someone who can and probably will resist. As a result, they may be inclined to choose an easier target. In such a situation (i.e. being scoped out as a mark), the person open carrying likely never has to draw his/her gun in self defense … whereas a concealed carrier may end up being attacked (since the assailant had no ideas s/he is armed) … and then have to draw to defend him/herself.

As a reminder, most threats of lethal force by attackers are used to gain compliance for a short period in order to steal something, rape someone, etc. Such violent crime is broken down into 5 distinct stages (1) Intent, 2) Interview, 3) Positioning, 4) Attack, and 5) Reaction). Open carry tends to passively arrest such attacks between stages 2 and 3 -- usually avoiding an attack -- whereas concealed carry may allow active reaction to and arrest of such an attack only between stages 4 and 5.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather completely avoid being attacked thanks to someone sizing me up, seeing a visible deterrent, and moving on ... than be attacked and have to draw from concealment to defend myself. The deterrence gained from open carrying comes at a cost, though - specifically one becomes a target for any criminal bent on murder who happens to see the openly-carried firearm. Thankfully, such situations are statistically the least probable among violent crimes -- meaning the deterrence one gains from open carrying applies to the statistically-most-probable types of violent crimes … and one becomes a target for the statistically-least-probable type of violent crime (premeditated murder).

It's a decent enough tradeoff. Moreover, you'd be surprised how many people completely fail to notice you're open carrying if you go about your business as usual and develop subtle situational awareness tendencies that cater to open carry (example: sitting with the firearm facing to the inside of a booth; using a urinal with a full wall on the same side as the firearm, etc.) for both reduced presentation and weapon-retention reasons.

Surreal

You expecting a letter in your mailbox? A public announcement is a notice. Signs will follow. Showing up at the store just to be a dick about it achieves little.
No, I am not expecting a letter in my mailbox. A public notice does NOT constitute the required legal notification in this state; properly-posted signage is the only thing that does. (I live in the same state as GeoNole94, by the way.) Key to this is that properly-posted signage is the only way the business can make sure everyone capable of seeing -- is duly informed of their policy -- prior to entry into the business.

·
Premium Member
8,553 Posts
Agree or disagree, businesses have the right to decide on the behavior of the people who enter their doors. If they decide upon a no open carry policy, because they are a privately owned company that is their right. CVS has also instituted a similar policy.

Once the policy has been established and proper signage is posted I would think those who disagree would not shop there.

Besides if one does decide to open carry in Wal Mart or CVS after the signs are posted and the incident escalates you are tying up resources that could be better used elsewhere.

·
Registered
510 Posts
At present, there is a mass hysteria concerning firearms. Mostly fueled by politics and the media. Unfortunately this will continue. My concern for the law abiding citizens who own and carry are the over zealous folks who are always pushing the envelope. IMO, this accomplishes nothing except adding more fuel to the out of control fire. There is always a time and place to express yourself concerning the 2nd amendment and gun rights. But for those who intentionally go out of their way to trigger a reaction-useless.

·
Premium Member
13,548 Posts
Agree with Sunny. I'll have to admit, when Walmart came with with their new stance, I was .... well .... pissed. Yep, I took a stroll thru Walmart with my Q hangin' on my hip. They had NOT posted any new signs at the entrance.

I'll have to say, that, since Texas went with 'open carry' I made the transition and really like open carrying OWB much better than concealed carry. It's more comfortable, as well as more easily accessible. And, I use Safariland Level II or III holsters so, I'm not to concerned about Mr. bad guy running up and yanking my gun out of my holster.

To make matters worse I'd just ordered an aftermarket Level I holster for my Q 45. Now, I'll rarely get to use that holster.

I've already switched out my Safariland holsters for my concealed carry holsters. Not happy with that, but it is what it is.

I'd rather carry concealed than not at all.

·
Super Moderator
3,853 Posts
IMHO, the only good form of pro-gun activism is the quiet, courteous kind wherein you're going about your business and you just happen to be visibly armed. As always, there's a time and a place for this -- which means there are times and places where it's NOT appropriate.

Case in point, immediately after the Walmart shooting, I began concealing in Walmart instead of openly carrying. Why? Mostly out of respect for the sworn peace officers who would no doubt get a call from someone in freak-out mode (since the media had everyone's hair standing up), come visit me, and find nothing but a polite, concealed carry permit holder who happens to be open carrying … just going about his day. No need to waste their time; they have more important things to be doing than chasing down goofball complaints from anti-gunners.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Yep, scary times for sure. I did my part....I've been open carrying ever since they passed the law. After Walmart came out the other day and said they'd be asking people NOT to open carry in their stores, what'd I do? I promptly strapped on a Q and went strolling around a couple of Walmarts. At one of the stores I was actually approached by a Walmart staffer that, very nicely explained their 'new' position and asked to go put the pistol in my car. I said thank you, I have your request and continued shopping....or at least looking around.
While I don’t disagree with you, in many states you would get arrested for doing that because you would now be trespassing.

If you believe in the Constitution we need to also respect personal property rights. Walmart has as much right as a private property owner (almost anyway) to ask you to leave their premises. It’s not a 2A issue at all.

In fact, by parading around a location like this, I would question if this actually helps 2A rights or in fact, does the exact opposite.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
IMHO, the only good form of pro-gun activism is the quiet, courteous kind wherein you're going about your business and you just happen to be visibly armed. As always, there's a time and a place for this -- which means there are times and places where it's NOT appropriate.

Case in point, immediately after the Walmart shooting, I began concealing in Walmart instead of openly carrying. Why? Mostly out of respect for the sworn peace officers who would no doubt get a call from someone in freak-out mode (since the media had everyone's hair standing up), come visit me, and find nothing but a polite, concealed carry permit holder who happens to be open carrying … just going about his day. No need to waste their time; they have more important things to be doing than chasing down goofball complaints from anti-gunners.
This is very true.

Reminds me of the time I say a guy in Walmart OC style. He also had a badge. Yup...looked just like a police badge secured to his belt. Looked like a cop....except that cops don’t actually look like this.

Closer inspection revealed that the badge said this “Permit to Carry”. This is the definition of a “tool”. What a doofus.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts