Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive come across an older post war  W German PPK 380 acp with what I believe has a  weak signal pin spring.
The pin protrudes when there is a chambered cartrige but has to be pushed in (forward) when the chamber is empty.
Can  the spring be replaced (or maybe stretch it) and if so , how do you remove the pin and old spring?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Here's a Diagram of the PPK that should help..
I've had mine, A S&W PPK/S, apart for detail strip clean + Militec-1 metal condition treatment..
Remove Slide 001
The Firing Pin 006, FP Spring 007, Safety Lever 010, Extractor 002, Extractor Plunger 003, Extractor Spring 004 & The Safety Catch Plunger 005 will also have to be removed first Then the Loaded Chamber Indicator 008 & it's spring 009 can be removed..
There's a dog leg on the spring that's probobly broken, I ASSUME!! See Pic..It causes the springs up & downs preasure while it's coiled area make the Loaded Cylinder Pin return in & out..
I'm Not an Armourer on Walthers, But have had my personal one apart.
The Secret to getting the Safety Lever out is to put the safety halfway in between fire & safe then wiggle the lever out of the slide untill the extractor detent comes loose, It Can fly away, Do this in a plastic bag, You also have to push the firing pin in with a punch while doing this at the same time because it passes through the center of the safety.. Then remove the Extractor Spring & Extractor & the two plungers, You'll want to clean these + the breachface realy well.. Then remove the Firing Pin & It's Spring & The Safety Lever.. The Loaded Cylinder Indicator can then be pushed toward the rear with a small punch or toothpick untill you can grab it at the rear of the slide then just pull it back & lever it out at a 45 degree angle..
Getting The Extractor Spring & Plunger back in the Safety Lever takes some fiddling, But with a 1/16" & 3/32" punches & a dental tool you can tear the PPK completely down..
I'd probobly Look To Numbrich/E-Gun parts for the spring, S&W may also be able to help you too.
On Numbrich's Site it shows a different pic of the PPK/S & it also shows two different springs, Old Style & New Style, The Older isn't available the Newer is @ $2.60 #46B
Also Note that the PPK & PPK/S that the Leg on the spring is reversed, Look at Both Pics!! #009 & #46A
Don't Forget to Lube the Safety Lever & It's Plunger
WARNING Do This at Your own Risk!!
GOOD LUCK! Hope This Helps!!
[email protected] Email me with any Questions B92
Numbrich E-Gun Parts Walther PPK
GunsWorld.Com/WaltherPPK/Image
Smith & Wesson

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Took out the signal pin today.
No need to remove the extractor just firing pin and spring  and safety and   detent.
What had happened is  that during recoil  with the broken spring, the pin would get stuck forward so that it would touch  the barrel preventing the slide from closing.

Here the manual version of the signal pin spring

·
Registered
713 Posts
Its not needed you should KNOW at all times if your gun is loaded. I have a simple way at my house EVERYTHING is LOADED at all times except when cleaning . As soon as finish cleaning reloaded and ready. then I know what is what.

·
Registered
178 Posts
That's a great Pic Flusher..
Were did you find it?
And while you have the extractors spring released I meant this is the perfect time to clean it.. The extractor & it's openings.. It's loose anyway..
Did you get a new indicator spring?
Let us know how it comes out..
And Michael this signal pin spring was causing problems, were not realy debating the purpose of the cartridge indicator
Always Treat Any Gun As If It Were loaded..
And in Flushers Pic I believe that shows the PP or PPK/S not The PPK..
B92

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The picture is from the manual that came with the gun.
I should have the spring shortyly BUT I am not sure if I will install it right away.
The reason that I removed the indicator pin and spring is that during cycling the pin would go forward and lock so that it was touching the barrel and preventing the slide from closing.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I'd love to get a pdf copy of the old manual. Does anyone know where one can be found?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts