Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I want to upgrade the sights on my Q4 SF but haven't been able to find information on the internet about removing the rear sight. The front sight seems easy, it looks like is held by a screw with a flat head, however, I don't see anything for the rear sight. I do need any special tools to remove it? I will be replacing the sights with the Trijicon HD night sights (WP101), I found lots of videos on removing the PPQ but the sights are different. Any help will be deeply appreciated. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
15,040 Posts
If your pistol looks like this, that appears to be a 'press fit' sight used on many PPQ's and P99's. The sight is pressed into/out of the dovetail. A sight pusher is recommended, but you can also use a hammer and a flat nosed punch to tap the sight out. It goes out to the left and back in from the left. If you don't have a sight pusher, you might want to take it to a gunsmith.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hi everyone,

I want to upgrade the sights on my Q4 SF but haven't been able to find information on the internet about removing the rear sight. The front sight seems easy, it looks like is held by a screw with a flat head, however, I don't see anything for the rear sight. I do need any special tools to remove it? I will be replacing the sights with the Trijicon HD night sights (WP101), I found lots of videos on removing the PPQ but the sights are different. Any help will be deeply appreciated. Thanks.
Hey, were you able to replace the rear sight on your Q4? I just ordered a set from Trijicon and then realized that the Q4 rear sight is different than the PPQ rear sight. I’m not sure if they are compatible.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't done it yet, I want to do it right and get the sight pusher, I'll post pictures and info when I do it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Definitely post pictures. I hope that they are compatible but I don’t have the windage screw that the PPQ has. I know there’s a space for the windage screw on the replacement PPQ sights.

·
Super Moderator
15,040 Posts
The PPQ and P99 use two different sight retention systems. One makes use of the windage adjustment screw that's threaded into the sight and the sight is held in place with the spring and plunger in the slide. The other is simply a friction fit....meaning the sight base is going to be just a little bit wider than the 'windage adjustment' type sites. Its this wider site base that provides for the friction fit in the dovetail. Yes, you either need to carefully hammer em' out/in or use a sight pusher. Push em' out from right to left....back in from left to right.

I don't have a Q4 and can't find an 'exploded view' of the PPQ Q4....only the OR version and that's not what you have. But after looking at pictures of the PPQ Q4 on the Walther web site, there's not doubt, the PPQ Q4 uses the same sights as the PPQ/P99.

If you have a Q4 that came with 'press in/friction fit' sights, then, if you purchase a sight that uses the spring and plunger, you'll have to order the spring and plunger from Walther. Or, maybe Walther included the spring and plunger with the pistol....maybe under the foam in the top of the case.

·
Registered
286 Posts
The PPQ and P99 use two different sight retention systems. One makes use of the windage adjustment screw that's threaded into the sight and the sight is held in place with the spring and plunger in the slide. The other is simply a friction fit....meaning the sight base is going to be just a little bit wider than the 'windage adjustment' type sites. Its this wider site base that provides for the friction fit in the dovetail. Yes, you either need to carefully hammer em' out/in or use a sight pusher. Push em' out from right to left....back in from left to right.

I don't have a Q4 and can't find an 'exploded view' of the PPQ Q4....only the OR version and that's not what you have. But after looking at pictures of the PPQ Q4 on the Walther web site, there's not doubt, the PPQ Q4 uses the same sights as the PPQ/P99.

If you have a Q4 that came with 'press in/friction fit' sights, then, if you purchase a sight that uses the spring and plunger, you'll have to order the spring and plunger from Walther. Or, maybe Walther included the spring and plunger with the pistol....maybe under the foam in the top of the case.
I just checked the case and there is no spring and plunger. I don’t even know if the slides are the same to accept the spring and plunger. I like the low profile stock sites and was hoping for something similar in a Trijicon. My HD sights will come in on Tuesday so I’ll just have to weigh my options.

·
Super Moderator
15,040 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Q4 SF (without the OR cut/plate) uses a standard ole PPQ slide....meaning its gonna have a hole in the slide for the spring and plunger. ALL P99's and PPQ's have the hole for the spring and plunger. Some P99's and the PPQ 'First Edition' used the 'steel' night sights. These sights do not use the spring and plunger, but they do make use of a 'roll pin' that inserts thru the bottom of the sight to apply pressure and help secure the sight in the slide.

Here's pictures from the P99 manual and exploded view.
Font Rectangle Number Circle Screenshot

Rectangle Font Circle Handwriting Number

Font Auto part Automotive exterior Engineering Circuit component

·
Registered
286 Posts
Here’s the Q4 sight up close. It looks more like a P99. I can’t see a place for the plunger, but there’s definitely a roll pin.

·
Super Moderator
15,040 Posts
Well, I can't see a hole in the slide either. I really have a hard time imagining they'd not put the hole in the Q4 slide. But, if that's what they did, you're restricted to using a 'press fit' type or one that uses an 'allen' screw to secure it in place.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I called Walther and they confirmed that the Q4 sights are from LPA Sights and the Q4 slide is not compatible with PPQ or P99 sights. So the only viable option for changing the sights is to use the LPA adjustable sights featured on the Q4 Optics Ready and Q5 Match. They said anything made for the Q5 will fit the Q4. I guess I’ll be returning the Trijicon HD that are arriving tomorrow…

·
Super Moderator
15,040 Posts
Are the pictures in your post #10 of YOUR Q4 SF? If so, that's not an LPA sight. That's a Walther sight in a standard PPS, PPQ, P99 dovetail. I'm thinking you failed to make the customer service rep understand that YOUR Q4 was NOT an OR model.

The Trijicon HD sights you have coming WILL fit the slide in post 10.

On the other hand, if the picture in post 10 is not your pistol and you in fact have an Q4 OR model, then the Walther rep has it right.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Are the pictures in your post #10 of YOUR Q4 SF? If so, that's not an LPA sight. That's a Walther sight in a standard PPS, PPQ, P99 dovetail. I'm thinking you failed to make the customer service rep understand that YOUR Q4 was NOT an OR model.

The Trijicon HD sights you have coming WILL fit the slide in post 10.

On the other hand, if the picture in post 10 is not your pistol and you in fact have an Q4 OR model, then the Walther rep has it right.
That’s a really good point. I did make it known that I had the iron sight version, but the rep had to make multiple trips back to the gunsmith to relay my questions, so I’m sure the information was misunderstood.

·
Super Moderator
15,040 Posts
So, if that's your gun in post 10. That's a regular ole Walther sight in a standard Walther dovetail. Those HD's will fit.

·
Registered
286 Posts
So, if that's your gun in post 10. That's a regular ole Walther sight in a standard Walther dovetail. Those HD's will fit.
Yes, that’s my gun in the photo. The Trijicon sights came in. They look like they’ll fit, but I don’t have a PPQ windage screw or the proper plunger. I assume I’ll have to track down those parts before it’ll work.

Rectangle Household hardware Gas Auto part Metal

Also it seems the the front sight it considerably larger than advertised.
Rectangle Gadget Font Automotive tire Electronic device

·
Super Moderator
15,040 Posts
Yep, just call Walther parts dept. and tell em' you need part number 2627795 (Rear sight plunger assembly) and part number 2627736 (Rear sight windage screw).

The windage screw is left hand thread....you'll need to turn it counter clockwise to screw it in.

Screw the screw into the Trijicon sight until the head of the screw is just a tiny bit deeper than 'flush'.

Put the spring and plunger in the hole in the slide.

Align the ears on the plunger .... the slot will be running fore and aft.....yep, I was in the Navy.

Slide the sight in from the left until the windage screw touches the side of the plunger....check for proper alignment of the slot.....wear glasses and be careful during the next step. With the sight sitting against the plunger, use your thumbnail to press down on the outside ear of the plunger....press it down far enough to allow you to push the sight a little farther to the right....make sure the head of the windage screw is over the top of the left ear or even better, aligned with the slot....but you'll not be able to see that because your thumb is in the way. Just be careful.....now release the pressure on the plunger and look to see if the head of the screw is in the slot or sitting on top of the ear..AND if the slot still aligned fore and aft? If the slot is still aligned properly but the head of the screw is sitting on top of the left ear, use your thumb and finger (one on each side of the sight) (you're trying to provide cover or a stop should you flub up and you move the sight too far left and off the plunger....that's when the plunger and spring can take off like a Saturn rocker, bouncing off your glasses, landing on the shag carpet. Its a goner....forget about it. But, if you're able to move the sight to the right just a little and you hear the 'click'. you in business.

Be careful out there.....Always look out for number 1, and don't step in number 2.

Note: If you fiddle fart around and push the sight too far to the right and the head of the screw winds up on the right side of the plunger....how you gonna push down the plunger to get that sight back off? Nuttin' to it. Just use your screw driver .... turn that screw 'clockwise' to unscrew it all the way out of the sight. Now push the sight back over or off, put the screw back in and start over.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Awesome instructions! Many thanks!!!

·
Super Moderator
15,040 Posts
Ya know, since I don't have a Q4 I can't be absolutely sure there's a 'hole' in the slide under the rear sight to accept a spring and plunger. Although I'd be GREATLY surprised if there's not. But, I'd suggest you remove the current site from the slide or just knock it over to the left an 1/8" to see if the hole is there. I'd hate for you to order the parts, THEN knock the sight out, only to find out that there's NO hole.

I'm not a bettin' man, but if I were, my money would be on 'there's a hole under that sight'.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts