Walther Forums banner

Would you get an R-51 Gen 2?

• Yes

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • No

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • Maybe a used one that has been broken in.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thinking of getting the little lady a handy little 9mm pistol for her to carry either in her bag or put it in the nightstand on her side in case of a bump in the night. I have narrowed it down to one of those new Shield EZ 9’s or a Remington R-51 with that Pederson hesitation lock.

Only bear is, whenever I search on where to get one, the internet is just RIDDLED with crap reviews of even the newer Gen 2’s. Is all the bad hype true??? Anyone have one?? Or is it all just a bunch of soy boys that can’t handle a pistol??

All insight welcome. Thanks all.
My pocket 9mm is the PPS. My wife's is the XD-s as the grip safety adds a little more piece of mind with it in her purse.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thinking of getting the little lady a handy little 9mm pistol for her to carry either in her bag or put it in the nightstand on her side in case of a bump in the night. I have narrowed it down to one of those new Shield EZ 9’s or a Remington R-51 with that Pederson hesitation lock.

Only bear is, whenever I search on where to get one, the internet is just RIDDLED with crap reviews of even the newer Gen 2’s. Is all the bad hype true??? Anyone have one?? Or is it all just a bunch of soy boys that can’t handle a pistol??

All insight welcome. Thanks all.
my pocket 9mm is the PPS. My wife's is the XD-s as the grip safety adds a little more piece of mind with it in her purse.

·
Registered
9 Posts
my wife has similar issues with slide racking. The two that she can rack are the Springfield XD-S 9mm and her Ruger SR9 which is her nightstand gun. Petite 5'1' lady.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
my wife has similar issues with slide racking. The two that she can rack are the Springfield XD-S 9mm and her Ruger SR9 which is her nightstand gun. Petite 5'1' lady.
Fiancee is just about the same. 5'1" and petite. She has great hand strength, and I gave her a SIG Mosquito to practice on. Granted, it was a little .22, but it has a stiff recoil spring. Figured that was a great one to start her on. She was able to slap a magazine home, pull the slide all the way back, and let it home. Slide stop is mighty stiff on that, too, and she thumbed it down no problem. I am not worried about her and slide pull. Grip safety of the XD-S or in other words the EZ Shield, is a huge bonus for safety.

Good points, though. Thank you.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Neither. The first R51 I handled was well made. It had fitment issues. It was tight and needed some more handy work. But overall it’s a hell of a lot better gun than the MP. Im capable of hand fitting the 1911 after a years of experience, but most cannot and in some cases they require machine work. Most often hand fitting by an experienced smith will yield exceptional results. I recommend a Ed Brown or Springfield Armory as an alternative to save fitting and upgrading. Some FCGs cannot be salvaged by hand fitting and polishing at which point you’ll need to buy a new trigger kit and install it. I like the Springfield lightweight EMP 1911 you get everything you need for a little more money. I like Walthers for 9mm carry guns. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thank you Core. I am a Toolmaker of 12+ years, and I have done quite a bit of hand fitting of various parts. I know alllllll about fitting and too tight vs. too loose. I realize completely that you can have great craftsmanship, but if the parts don't fit then that pig don't fly. What is that line?? Can polish a turd... still just a shiny turd.

You know, like I said earlier in these posts... I really wanted to like this pistol, really really did, as it looked futuristic and that Pederson device is neat. I also know quite a bit about material properties and wear characteristics. Old model had a steel frame and steel locking block, so the frame wouldn't take a beating. This white metal frame having a steel block slamming against it at high speed over and over just means one thing is going to fail. A clue: probably not the steel locking block. 😋

Just all of these issues that are piling up with its original re-release and then the Gen 2. I do NOT want a pistol that will give me a case of the pinches from the poor fit of the grip safety. Also reading here and there that even though the recoil system is supposed to soak up said recoil, its so snappy that it is a discomfort. I guess the nails are in the coffin for that idea. This being a Walther forum, I am reading and watching videos on the new CCP M2 in 380 ACP. I want to get her to a range and try some more pistols out. The one she likes best, is the one she gets.

I love that we live in a really low crime neighborhood, but that assurance from a boomstick to level the playing field is unmatched.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts