Walther Forums banner

Would you get an R-51 Gen 2?

• Yes

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • No

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • Maybe a used one that has been broken in.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of getting the little lady a handy little 9mm pistol for her to carry either in her bag or put it in the nightstand on her side in case of a bump in the night. I have narrowed it down to one of those new Shield EZ 9’s or a Remington R-51 with that Pederson hesitation lock.

Only bear is, whenever I search on where to get one, the internet is just RIDDLED with crap reviews of even the newer Gen 2’s. Is all the bad hype true??? Anyone have one?? Or is it all just a bunch of soy boys that can’t handle a pistol??

All insight welcome. Thanks all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thinking of getting the little lady a handy little 9mm pistol for her to carry either in her bag or put it in the nightstand on her side in case of a bump in the night. I have narrowed it down to one of those new Shield EZ 9’s or a Remington R-51 with that Pederson hesitation lock.

Only bear is, whenever I search on where to get one, the internet is just RIDDLED with crap reviews of even the newer Gen 2’s. Is all the bad hype true??? Anyone have one?? Or is it all just a bunch of soy boys that can’t handle a pistol??

All insight welcome. Thanks all.
Good morning,
I owned one for about four months. It was never reliable with jams all the time. Tried all kinds of ammo never would run as it should. Firing pin locked up with it sticking out of the breach face. Returned to Remington for repair on their dime.
Tested again with all types of ammo same results. On the last range trip it fired out of battery, blew the mag apart and out of the pistol. Only injury was black smoke on my hand, gun seemed OK.
Cleaned it up fired another mag of ammo to check operation worked OK.
Traded it off to a dealer and I was up front with him about the trouble.
I like Remington products but I'm done with R51.
This is my experience Yours may be different.

Netcats

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Wow..you've got some big fat brass ones. No matter the logo on the slide...if the sumbitch fires out of battery there is NO way in 7 hells I'd stick another mag in it and put rounds down the barrel...especially to see if it was a one time only thing.

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
My question to the OP is why? Why would you pick the R51?

With so many proven reliable single stack nines on the market, why would you zero in one with a decidedly spotty reputation at best?

In full disclosure, I do not own one. Common sense prevailed. I did shoot about 50 rounds of FMJ out of a R51 Gen 1. It worked and was easy to shoot. That Remington pulled it off the market shortly thereafter is telling though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wow..you've got some big fat brass ones. No matter the logo on the slide...if the sumbitch fires out of battery there is NO way in 7 hells I'd stick another mag in it and put rounds down the barrel...especially to see if it was a one time only thing.

With so many proven reliable single stack nines on the market, why would you zero in one with a decidedly spotty reputation at best?

In full disclosure, I do not own one. Common sense prevailed. I did shoot about 50 rounds of FMJ out of a R51 Gen 1. It worked and was easy to shoot. That Remington pulled it off the market shortly thereafter is telling though.
Hey Jimmo,
I'm not a brave man.
I left the range and went home, detail cleaned the pistol to see if anything was wrong.
Looked good so no real reason for it not to work. After all it had just returned from the factory.
I did not want to trade off a dangerous firearm. Test fired a mag and went to the dealer and traded it on a CZ.
I did not do great on the trade in I even gave the dealer the paper work from Remington and told him about the episode, I was out the cost of two extra mags to boot.
Netcats

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
Hey Jimmo,
I'm not a brave man.
I left the range and went home, detail cleaned the pistol to see if anything was wrong.
Looked good so no real reason for it not to work. After all it had just returned from the factory.
I did not want to trade off a dangerous firearm. Test fired a mag and went to the dealer and traded it on a CZ.
I did not do great on the trade in I even gave the dealer the paper work from Remington and told him about the episode, I was out the cost of two extra mags to boot.
Netcats
Good of you to makes sure it was safe.

We've all made firearm purchases that didn't work out the way we wanted. Live and learn i guess...

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I considered the reworked R51 for its PPK-ish looks and modern operating system, but then I already had Micro 9 and a Glock 43, so I never got around getting it.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all!!!

This just settles it for me, then. No to the R51. Jimmo makes the best point. Just why oh why. Haha

I agree with the point about “No matter the badge on the side of the slide, firing out of battery and sheer unreliability” is a nightmare in my eyes. Paraphrasing, of course.

Might look at an EZ 9 Shield for her, then.

·
Registered
3 Posts
He's probably a software guy. They always wanna see if they can recreate the problem ... :)

·
Registered
13 Posts

Thanks all!!!

This just settles it for me, then. No to the R51. Jimmo makes the best point. Just why oh why. Haha

I agree with the point about “No matter the badge on the side of the slide, firing out of battery and sheer unreliability” is a nightmare in my eyes. Paraphrasing, of course.

Might look at an EZ 9 Shield for her, then.
Have you thought about a 380? I have taken several ladies to the range and let them shoot my array of pistols. About 70% end up preferring the 380, either the M&P Guardian or the Bersa Thunder. Since I am a SA/DA fan for the simplicity of the manual if arms, more ladies have chosen the Bersa over the Guardian. Personally, I carry the Guardian in my pocket or the Bersa IWB, depending on my dress. I do not have an EZ9, but the ladies who chose the 9 chose the M&P Shield subcompact. The ladies who chose the 9 were not slightly built as were the vast majority if the 380 choosers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have one and find it a bit unpleasant to shoot. The first time Remington released them they were so bad that even the gun whores - I mean writers - had to badmouth the pistols. The second time out the gate they performed marginally better. I only bought mine because I have an original 380 caliber Remington Model 51 made in the 1920s that I wanted to compare it to. With so many other better options available today, I strongly suggest you avoid this pistol. Instead, why not take your wife to a well-stocked gun store, preferably one with an in-house range, so she can decide for herself which pistol feels and handles the best. The importance of recoil, accuracy, reliability, comfort, ease of use, size, capacity, appearance, and weight are subjective matters best left to the individual shooter.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I’ll add my experience. I wanted my wife to have a 9mm for self defense. She was more than willing to get one. We went to a large local gun shop and started down the 9mm row. She is petite and most would not fit her hand so we ended up in the single stack / compact area. Once we found the few that felt good she could not rack the slide on any of them. Once every employee in the store tried to show her “how to do it”, we all decided to look at the 380’s. Even the 9mm EZ guns were too hard. Same process. Most of those were a struggle for her to rack also, but she could do it. But the smith 380 EZ was a breeze. No effort at all. Plus it has an external safety, which she wanted. It was also the easiest for her to load because the mag has notches to push the spring down, then just drop the rounds in. All in all there were no negatives that we saw other than low power and expensive ammo. So we bought it. Took it home to shoot. She loves it. No recoil, easy to load. She quickly got comfortable with it and is willing to practice. She keeps it with her most of the time. When in the home office it is sitting right beside her. When watching TV, right beside her. When in the garden, on her hip. She also has a Ruger 38 special lcr and loves it, but the 380 EZ has become her favorite. So don’t pick one out for her, let her participate and she will like the end result better.
Good luck

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
akc47, you've made it easy. The shield ez was my back up plan for her to try. My father got one in 9, and I want to go try that one out, and have her try it out as well. She did really well with the old 380 we had on hand, little Browning BDA, and she could handle the slide and everything on that. Liked it.

I want to sincerely thank you all. I had a feeling this was going to be one of those mixed bag reviews things where it would get some fan boys, and some detractors. But it seems pretty unanimous. Paladin, the misery in shooting it was something that was brought up by a few friends at the range. Guess the grip safety shimmies in the pocket and then pinches the web of your hand. Not great.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I concur with the 380 EZ. My wife has a hard time racking slides. She could barely rack the slide on my pps, but she can easily rack and operate the 380 EZ. Not to mention she enjoys shooting it as well.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I only bought mine because I have an original 380 caliber Remington Model 51 made in the 1920s that I wanted to compare it to.
I also have an original Model 51. When my LGS got in a used copy of the new one I was tempted to buy it to compare the two. This was well after all of the negative publicity and I didn't want to spend $400 on a pistol that might have a catastrophic failure the first time I shot it so I passed. That's the only one I've ever seen.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts