Walther Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How about starting a reloading thread for this forum. I'm sure there are several people who monitor this forum that reload. I reload .380, 9mm, 9mm Ultra and several other pistol cartridges. Its cheaper to reload than buy new rounds and you also stop being held hostage by the ammo companies.

fknipfer1

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm up for it! I have some pics of my reloading bench that will knock your socks off, Warning! It's Blue!:D

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I do .380 ACP, but not as much as 9mm and .45 auto. I use the Lee Hand Press or whatever it's called. Works very well, and cost me $40. I plan on using it extensively over winter.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You can reload the .380 ACP without buying new tools. Just use the sizing die of a .38/.357, the seating die of a 9mm Luger and the shellholder of a .222/.223.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I reload .25ACP, .32ACP, 9mm, .40S&W, .45ACP, .357Sig and a bunch of rifle calibers. I just took my Manurhin PP to the range and my wife fired it for the 1st time and she loved it. The .32ACP was easy for her to handle, so now I better make a bunch more .32ACP!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just reloaded 50 rounds with Win 95gr FMJ. They were supposed to be round nosed based on the Midway ad but in reality they had a small flat nose to them. With the flat nose they don't feed smoothly through the magazine. Looks like I'll have to try a different bullet as these aren't going to work...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Since there is a sticky on this I thought I would use it. Is there an authoritative place I can look to about reloading? Specifically:

1) The Mechanics & Equipment Needed to Do It Right
2) How Not to Blow My Gun a/o House Up

I'm still planning on using factory loads for carry guns, just for legality reasons. However, I was visiting my dad and he expressed interest and the financial benefits seem pretty obvious (I like to shoot .45 ACP). Plus, I read Point of Impact. :D I like the idea of being able to fine-tune my ammo. So there are a few perks. Mostly though I just want to save money.

Anybody got any good links or book recommendations to talk me into (or out of) reloading? Thanks in advance.

-Cheers

·
Registered
45 Posts
Since there is a sticky on this I thought I would use it. Is there an authoritative place I can look to about reloading? Specifically:

Anybody got any good links or book recommendations to talk me into (or out of) reloading? Thanks in advance.

-Cheers
For one get a couple of good reloading manuals like Speer , Hornady, etc
here are a couple of links
Amazon.com: SPEER SPEER RELOADING MANUAL 14: Speer Bullets: Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: The ABCs Of Reloading: The Definitive Guide for Novice to Expert (9781440213960): Rodney James: Books

Amazon.com: Hornady 8th Edition Reloading Handbook: Sports & Outdoors

Been reloading for quite a while but just added 9mm & .380 die sets

·
Registered
12 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread:

I reload 380 ACP, as well as 45 ACP and 38 sp /357 mag. I ran across some posts on other forums, and have spoken to some other re-loaders about using a 125 grain truncated cone bullet. I made a few with 2.0 grains of Bullseye in a 380 ACP case, seated just deep enough to allow the cartridges to feed from my PP magazine. I also tested them to make sure they head-spaced ok on the case mouth.

I think this should be a good, safe load, but upon firing ten of them, almost all of the cases had small splits at the mouth, and most all had an angled dent in the case wall. Never seen that before. Is this load (1.9 to 2.0 grains of Bullseye) to hot? I can go back to a 95 or 100 grain bullet, but I would really like to shoot this heavier TC bullet.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think one of the best books on the theory and practise of reloading is "Modern Reloading" by Richard Lee. He explains everything very clearly and dispells a lot of myths. It has been reprinted and revised many times since published in 2003.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm in for the reloading thread. I just started reloading for .380 and 9mm for plinking. I agree with Dave I, factory loads are the way to go for carry. I'm using CCI 500 for primers. Win 231 powder for the .380 and Unique powder for the 9mm. For the .380 I'm using 100 gr RNFP. Still tweeking the load. For the 9mm I'm using 124 gr FP. Still tweeking the load on that one as well. So, any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It looks like your 125 gr. truncated cone bullet is too long. And when you seat it you are up against the powder causing a compressed load. Just a Thought. Check the length of your other bullets. Hope this will help.
Las Vegas Bill

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Reloading = Better Bullet Awarness

I started with Lee Handloaders. 458 Win Mag, 45ACP and the following week with their target 223 Rem set.
The first 230 gr LRN I sent downrange made me even more aware of the importance of all aspects of the interaction between myself and the firearm. Even after years of target work and training by some of the military's best.
We load everthing but rimfires.
New to us is the 380 ....and I started those with a set of Lee Handloaders as well. Lucked out on Ebay.
Recently a set of Reddings arrived. I also used my 9mm RCBS to resize and decap. Followed by the RCBS 223 die to finish the resize. Bullet seating and a slight taper crimp with the Lees.
So far the two recently purchased S&W PPK/s twins have not missed a beat. Lucky me...is a bit of a sad statement.
They were bought out of curiosity and will be primarily range pistols...every pistol is a bullseye gun in my mind. :)

Only by reloading will I be able to run several thousand or more thru each and then say... not
a bad pistol.

I was never anxious about pulling the trigger on any firearm or load until pointing the PPK/s downrange and it went bang...... sad but true.

A reloading thread is a good thing.
Carefully reloading ain't rocket science.
Most mistakes seem to be in the powder department..... loading too fast..... On the press.

I will post data after the Holidays. My loads for other 380 pistols were not just shot in the SW/Walthers. Backed them off a bit and treated each new pistol as a seperate entity.
Too careful for sure.
No Kabooms
Be safe and Reload. ;)

Oh yeah...Lymans and other manuals. Read the data after the how to do it right.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Glad to see the reloading thread. I have a Dillon set up that I am looking forward to placing in the workshop corner. Cannot wait to start and look forward to the input from the more experienced loaders here.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Loading some 32 Auto for my 1962 PP hopefully get to the range soon to test them out and attached my load data for my 380 load as well that works well in my finicky PPK/s. Hope this helps and would be interested in others that have had success. Reloading on a Hornady Lock N Load AP progressive with all Hornady 3 piece Custom Grade Pistol Dies.

32 Auto
71 gr Berrys plated RN .312 dia
2.3 gr Hodgson HP-38
CCI small pistol primer
.978 OAL

Successful load for my finicky Interarms PPK/s in 380

380 Auto
100gr Berrys FBRN plated bullet .355 dia
3.1gr HP-38
CCI Small Pistol Primer
.980 OAL

·
Registered
275 Posts
32 load worked well at the range today. Maybe we should get a different place for reloaders in general. This is kind of buried in a sub of a sub section. It would be great to get it all in one place caliber wide from 40 S&W to .25 ACP and for all Walther Calibers in between.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Search engine worked. :)

Yep, I reload too. 9mm; 38 spl; 45acp; and 45 Colt. Hoping to see some loads. I just finished up shooting 100 or so rounds of reloaded 9mm in new PPX. Worked great; I use an old RCBS single stage press - vintage 1969. I drop test each loaded round into the barrel and random load a magazine, testing for feeding. My old Lyman manual similar vintage to the press has served me well. Favorite powders are Unique and Bullseye.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts