Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a lot of FTE or stovepipe malfunctions. I will am new at this but everytime I make some progress i have another setback. Here is where I'm at now:
Q5 match, stock with 5k+ rounds through
Xtreme fmj 124gr rn
OAL 1.145
Titewad (not a typo)3.6 gr. Dealer sent the wrong powder and didn't have titegroup to replace it with.

They passed the plunk test and gauge test. What is frustrating is I used this same setup with 124gr rn blue bullets and they worked (after some trial and error). With the blues i was getting around 995ft/s.
I am leaning towards the powder needs to go up with the xtreme fmj bullets but I'm already at the upper limit for any data I can find on titewad. I'm getting a lot of differing opinions but am looking for info from walther users.
Thx

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts
According to Hodgdon's on-line load data, 3.4 grains of Titewad is max with a 124 grain bullet. However, pressure in a 9mm is greatly dependent upon seating depth. Even a few thousands of an inch can raise or lower pressure greatly. The crimp can also effect pressure. Do you taper crimp your loads?

I know powder is difficult to find but IMO your best move would be to use another powder such as AA #7, CFE Pistol etc.

The load I use in my Q5 Match is 5.6 grains of CFE Pistol powder with a Berry's plated 115 grain RN bullet seated to 1.155" OAL. It works beautifully, is accurate and the empty cases are tossed about 6 or 7 feet. The target below is at 18 yards just after I sighted in my red dot that I'd mounted the day before.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
According to Hodgdon's on-line load data, 3.4 grains of Titewad is max with a 124 grain bullet. However, pressure in a 9mm is greatly dependent upon seating depth. Even a few thousands of an inch can raise or lower pressure greatly. The crimp can also effect pressure. Do you taper crimp your loads?

I know powder is difficult to find but IMO your best move would be to use another powder such as AA #7, CFE Pistol etc.

The load I use in my Q5 Match is 5.6 grains of CFE Pistol powder with a Berry's plated 115 grain RN bullet seated to 1.155" OAL. It works beautifully, is accurate and the empty cases are tossed about 6 or 7 feet. The target below is at 18 yards just after I sighted in my red dot that I'd mounted the day before.

View attachment 98929
Not sure what you mean taper crimp. I'm using a dillon 750 if that answers your question.

I am looking for different powder but as you can guess that's easier said than done and since I have 8# of the titewad, I'd like to use it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Not sure what you mean taper crimp. I'm using a dillon 750 if that answers your question.
The final step in loading 9mm Luger cartridges should be a taper crimp which is tapering the case mouth to fit snuggly against the bullet while keeping the case mouth straight. A 9mm case should never be roll crimped as the cartridge head spaces on the mouth of the case.

Any good loading manual should explain or illustrate a taper crimp. Dies are made especially to taper crimp straight walled pistol cartridges. Some dies are made to seat the bullet and taper crimp at the same time. I prefer to seat in one step and taper crimp in another.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The final step in loading 9mm Luger cartridges should be a taper crimp which is tapering the case mouth to fit snuggly against the bullet while keeping the case mouth straight. A 9mm case should never be roll crimped as the cartridge head spaces on the mouth of the case.

Any good loading manual should explain or illustrate a taper crimp. Dies are made especially to taper crimp straight walled pistol cartridges. Some dies are made to seat the bullet and taper crimp at the same time. I prefer to seat in one step and taper crimp in another.
Got it, I am seating and crimping in 2 steps

·
Registered
24 Posts
Will the slide lock back when you fire the last round in the magazine?

I would try reducing the COAL closer to 1.10” and see if that helps. If not you could try increasing your powder load by 0.1 grains at a time until you get the reliability you’re looking for or your primers are flattening out.

Or, you could always start loading for shotgun.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am having a lot of FTE or stovepipe malfunctions. I will am new at this but everytime I make some progress i have another setback. Here is where I'm at now:
Q5 match, stock with 5k+ rounds through
Xtreme fmj 124gr rn
OAL 1.145
Titewad (not a typo)3.6 gr. Dealer sent the wrong powder and didn't have titegroup to replace it with.

They passed the plunk test and gauge test. What is frustrating is I used this same setup with 124gr rn blue bullets and they worked (after some trial and error). With the blues i was getting around 995ft/s.
I am leaning towards the powder needs to go up with the xtreme fmj bullets but I'm already at the upper limit for any data I can find on titewad. I'm getting a lot of differing opinions but am looking for info from walther users.
Thx

Another option might be to look for a reduced power recoil spring and see if that helps?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts