Walther Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In anticipation of getting a Bar Sto 357 Sig Barrel for my P99 QA, I am gathering reloading info on the caliber.

So my questions are;
1. What make dies (I am looking at Redding and Dillon)
2. What crimp to use ? Taper or roll ?
(How is it head spaced, shoulder or case mouth)
The plan is to load on my Dillon 550 ,so crimp will be a seperate operation.
3. What bullet works best, 125 gr or 115 gr ?
Will plated work or are true jacketed best?
4 What Powder works best ?

So, is there anyone out there reloading this caliber and can you enlighten the rest of us ?

Thanks in advance
Sam

·
Registered
229 Posts
Sam -

I've been reloading for the .357 SIG for a few years, but I'm not nearly as knowledgeable on this particular subject as "Pete".

I use RCBS dies.  Crimp for semi-autos is typically "taper".  I normally utilize bullets in the 124-125 gr. weight range; SPEER Gold Dot bullets specifically made for the .357 SIG are good, but more often than not, I use the Rainier plated bullets.  I sometimes use Alliant Power Pistol powder, but there is quite a bit of muzzle blast (fire and noise).  I like Accurate Arms #9 much better; because it nearly fills the case, it greatly reduces the possibility of the dreaded "bullet setback" problem.

BTW, you already found a wealth of information on the website you referenced...I keep a printed copy of much of it on my reloading bench.

Lastly, since there are no case gauges for the .357 SIG (that I'm aware of), you might want to keep your new Bar-Sto barrel close at hand to ensure proper fit with your reloads. I'm not going to presume that since my reloads fit/function in my Glocks, that they will do the same with my new Bar-Sto/P99 setup.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I shoot 357SIG and reload for that round. GlockTalk's 357 page is a good source and Pete's site is great. I seat and crimp in two separate stages. If you use the Lee Dies you must lube the case. If you attempt to seat and crimp at the same time you will damage the shoulder of the case. The case headspaces on the rim not the shoulder. Speer has good load data but I use Sierra bullets and Sierra data. AA#9 powder is THE ONE to use!!! My chronograph shows very little deviation and AA#9 will help prevent setback. Use your barrel to check each round every time all the time! Start with the listed starting load and check for signs of overpressure. I also check the cases for cracking carefully. This is a great round to reload for because of the variety of bullets & powder that can be used and I've enjoyed loading and experimenting it. Plus it has a great KABOOM that drives the R.O. crazy at our IDPA matches! Good Luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts