Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new to this whole forum thing so please bear with me. I'm just wondering from your personal experiences with different types of defense ammo (HP) for the PPQ in 40 cal....what ammo did you deem reliable and/or unreliable? I just bought my PPQ.40 about a month ago and love it to death! I am more accurate with it than my XDM 9mm 4.5. My PPQ shoots FMJ ammo flawlessly (about 500 rds so far) but got a bit discouraged today when I tried out some HD/SD ammo....I first shot 20 rounds of Federal Premium hydroshock 180g JHP with no malfunctions. Then I shot 36 rounds of Corbon 135g JHP and had 3 FTF! If I remember correctly there was 1 FTF in the 3rd round of the first mag and 2 FTF in the following mag that were 1 or 2 rds apart. I know it is not uncommon for HP ammo to jam in certain guns but needless to say I am looking for another 40 cal HP that will be reliable in my PPQ. I was thinking about picking up some Federal hydroshock 155g since the 20 rds of 180g did not jam. I only bought the 180g because that's all they had at the time. If any of you can offer some insight on this please do. I'd rather not waste money on expensive ammo that you may already know from experience will jam in the PPQ. Thanks!:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 9mm, and so can't tell you for sure. 135g is extraordinarily light weight for a .40 bullet, probably a gimmick to get the energy level up. So, it makes sense that you'd have better reliability in the more typical 155-185g range.

·
Registered
351 Posts
The Hydra-shok is an older design and not the best out there. Corbon, I simply don't even look at it. In 40cal duty/defense ammo I recommend the Federal HST, Winchester Ranger T, and the Speer Gold Dot, all in 180gr weight. Choose the round that functions best and is the most accurate in your paticular pistol. I carry the Federal HST in all calibers. Bill

·
Registered
51 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great feedback guys thank you for the help and much needed info! As you can probably tell I am a newbie when it comes to ammo variants. I have just been reading a lot of forum topics and researching articles about different types of defense ammo. I know the 135g is extremely light for a 40 cal but just wanted to try it out after reading this article about defense ammo- Ammunition For The Self-Defense Firearm

I am more likely to stay with something in the 155-165g range and possibly 180. Makes sense that the 135g could have troubles considering it is so light for the 40 round. Thanks for the links! I just ordered 150 rds of the federal hst 155gr to try out! Appreciate the help guys:D

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I have a 9mm, and so can't tell you for sure. 135g is extraordinarily light weight for a .40 bullet, probably a gimmick to get the energy level up. So, it makes sense that you'd have better reliability in the more typical 155-185g range.
135's are usually billed as "low recoil" but they also are not going to penetrate sufficiently for a SD round.

The Hydra-shok is an older design and not the best out there. Corbon, I simply don't even look at it. In 40cal duty/defense ammo I recommend the Federal HST, Winchester Ranger T, and the Speer Gold Dot, all in 180gr weight. Choose the round that functions best and is the most accurate in your paticular pistol. I carry the Federal HST in all calibers. Bill
Yeah, Hydra Shoks are unreliable in anything lower than .45ACP. That's become well proven over the years.

Personally, I won't shoot a 180gr in a .40. 165gr is my max. CALIBERS -- Why the 180gr Bullet is a Bad Choice for .40 S&W

Look at Hornady XTPs or Critical Defense.

Reactions: goterdone

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does polishing the feed ramp on the barrel make it more reliable with different types of ammo, specifically HP's?

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Does polishing the feed ramp on the barrel make it more reliable with different types of ammo, specifically HP's?
I wouldn't tinker with the feed ramp unless there is a specific need to do so. Too many hatchet jobs can result, including ones done by the so-called experts (for a sample, look at some of the posts we've had from PPK/S owners after they sent their recalled pistols back to S&W for servicing). Try various brands of ammo first and see what works best. That's the ammo you want to use.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wouldn't tinker with the feed ramp unless there is a specific need to do so. Too many hatchet jobs can result, including ones done by the so-called experts (for a sample, look at some of the posts we've had from PPK/S owners after they sent their recalled pistols back to S&W for servicing). Try various brands of ammo first and see what works best. That's the ammo you want to use.
Well said.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts