Walther Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new member, just got my first Walther. PK380. Im a rookie when it comes to firearms. Saw a lot of videos of different .380 ammo tests with jhp and they weren't expanding. Does anyone know which ammo is most reliable for expansion and overall a good round to use in a PK380 for self defense? What have you had success with? what about +p ammo?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Unfortunately hollowpoint expansion in a .380 is very hit or miss.

You generally get two situations

1. the bullet does not expand, penetrates very deeply (potentially too much).
2. the bullet does expand, does not penetrate deeply

Neither situation is ideal.

That said, the 3.6" barrel on the PK380 is going to make it a reasonably effective cartridge if you select your ammo wisely.

The Hornady XTP (and also FTX) cartridges are known to have moderate expansion with above average reliability.

IMO, Hornady Custom or Hornady Critical defense would be two very good choices to consider.

Whichever brand of ammo you choose the most important consideration is, "Is this ammo both reliable and accurate in my weapon?"

I would - at the very minimum - recommend shooting at least a full box of self defense hollowpoints for testing.

Ideally you'd shoot somewhere between 100-200+ rounds trouble free. In my mind if I'm having trouble less than once in 200 that is an acceptable rate of failure.

·
Registered
464 Posts
We find Winchester Ranger very reliable and almost always opens up with good penetration; even in .380. Gold Dots are just about as good and the old school Hydra Shocks and Silver Tips are not bad either. Federal HRT's are reported to also be good but we have no experience with those.

Reactions: SPMendoza93
1 - 3 of 3 Posts