Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I'm a newby here. Just purchased a new PPK/S and have yet to fire it. Reason for purchase: Will soon live alone in very close quarters (motorhome) and wanted "reasonable" firepower of quality. My "backup" will be a .25 ACP of which I am very comfortable in using.

In reviewing all of the available postings within the PP category, I get the impression that some, but not all, "new" S&W versions of the PPK/S leave something to be desired. I am not new to firearms but I am not skilled as a gunsmith.

I realize that only those who admire the Walther are the probable users of this forum. That said, this group is obviously not a representative sample of owners/users, but it probably contains more specific knowledge about the subject than any other source. Now to the point-------

What do you estimate the chances to be of my having a device that will perform acceptably after 100 rounds of quality loads, given that the 100 rounds perform acceptably?

I sincerely appreciate your response.

Dourdave

·
Registered
26 Posts
Reliability estimate

Dave-

I can only speak from personal experience as the owner of a PPK .32 and a PPK/S .380. Both are S&W manufactured and have performed superbly on the firing line with several types of ammo. I had a problem with re-assembly of the PPK after purchasing it new. S&W fixed the problem immediately at their expense and I've had no further problems. From my perspective they are great guns for their intended purpose.

Good luck.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Break in

I have owned many fine handguns over the years since I turned 21 in 1970
and purchased my first handgun, a Ruger Blackhawk .357, that same year.

The S&W made PPK/S-1 that I acquired in a trade last July is my first
stainless Steel gun and my first Walther. Therefore I can only speak from my limited experience with the little guns.

I believe it probable that you'll need far more than 100 rounds to get your
new gun broken in. You will need to shoot only factory ammunition.

I have been reloading, starting with rifle ammunition, since before I purchased
that first .357. I have approximately 1000 rounds through my .380 and it still
doesn't shoot my reloads as consistantly as I wish it would. I am going to
purchase a taper-crimp die and see if that fixes the problem.

Hopefully you'll get lucky and your gun will not give you any problems. It
can happen!

The probability is high, however, that you'll need to fire many hundred
rounds before your gun will be reliable enough for you to carry with
reasonable assurance that it will work as intended if called upon to
save your life.

Be sure to lubricate the rails and the barrel where the recoil spring fits
with a good gun grease.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Fwiw, my test is 50 rounds. If without a hiccup, I'm OK with it. Some people are OK with two mag-fulls. Some are OK with 500 hiccup-less rounds. Point is, whatever suits your fancy. After all, they are just mechanical devices. And they all fail at some point.

Miss Cleo once told me that I didn't need to test my carry ammo at all. And if you can't trust Miss Cleo, who are you going to trust? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
778 Posts
Ahhh, the lovely Miss Cleo! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Cleo
World-renowned psychic and purveyor of truth and true predictions.

All kidding aside, there is no magic number. The way I see it, when dealing with mechanical devices, we get to choose our poison. Nothing is guaranteed, nothing is certain. What we can do, though, is take every necessary precaution as prudent and reasonable persons when dealing with mechanical devices.

Hopefully, we choose a weapon that fits us. It should feel like an extension of our body. Hopefully, one with a glowing history of dependability. To reduce chances of malfunctions. We learn. We train. We practice. We clean. We oil. As important as knowing how to shoot, is knowing what to do if the weapon malfunctions. Then we practice some more. Just like any other sport. And then we learn some more. Just like any other sport.

Mind and body need to work together. Then we train some more. Because as any reputable person will tell you, most Americans, of those who buy a gun, perhaps shoot a magazine or two through it and then off it goes to rest in some drawer or chest. If a revolver, two loadings. If a shotgun or rifle....well, there are a bunch unused out there. Just go to any shooting range and you will see regulars there. Not too many, when compared to the actual number of firearms out there. Remember the For Sale signs. "Almost mint...50 rounds through it...barely used....never used".

So, after all is said and done, as in almost anything, we take our chances. Because there is no guarantee, but for the ones we bring to the table. That's where Miss Cleo enters the picture.;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JEHZSA,

You answered my question.

I too am a complicated mechanical (and hydraulic) devise that has experienced a degree of malfunction. I can, and will, learn to recover from any malfunction of the PPKS, as I have with me.

Next week I visit a range. You will hear me smile with each round.

Thanks

·
Registered
713 Posts
I never saw a PPK/S that fired reloads a 100% Mine shoot good name factory a 100 persent but not reloads. I would never carry reloads for this reason. Now I agree a little grease om slide rails but none on recil spring or barrel . Wipe the spring in a oily cloth but no grease. Always use factory mags . I carried mine for several years and have owned others,

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Range report-----Will do. Hopefully, will not have to be entered with left hand.

Thanks folks.

·
Registered
69 Posts
No Grease?

OK, Michael, I'll bite...why no grease, only oil, on recoil spring and barrel?

What is the reasoning for that statement?

If I'm doing something incorrrectly, I need to know 'bout it!

Thanks!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Range Report ---

First of all, I field stripped and cleaned the weapon pritor to visiting the range. Me, the PPS and a box of Magtech, 95gr, FMC rounds took a ride. I got settled in a lane, set a new target and loaded the magazine with 6 rounds. All went VERY well using the entire box. Except for the double action shots, all were in the 5 and 5x target area. I am very pleased and am waiting for our next range visit.

The double action firing was a bit harder for me to control than I expected, so I used a few magazines in double action only. That helped me a lot to learn where the hammer release point was.

In summary-------I smiled a lot.

My beautiful PPK/S likes me too.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After the 50 rounds, the cleaning process was not as difficult as I anticipated. A child's toothbrush helped and all went well. Needless to say, this was a GOOD day with the PPK/S. If I can escape tomorrow (Monday) I will do another 50 and exercise my "backup" (Old and friendly Colt .25ACP).

This was a good day and a very good experience. See the smile ??

Now, my next issue is to select a concealment holster to match my dress code-----no belt, always shorts, sport shirt not tucked in, ---------kinda leaves a shoulder type holster. Pocket: maybe not since I drive a lot. The "25" is taken care of.

Thanks-----

·
Registered
778 Posts
...my dress code-----no belt, always shorts, sport shirt not tucked in
A word of caution. As per Florida standards established by the Florida Department of Clothing Regulations, it is apparent that according to FCR section 122.87(a) you are overdressing slightly. Kindly be reminded that one of our most important industries is the t-shirt-with-flamingo-on-the-front-and-snappy-smartass-comment-on-the-back Florida shirt industry. Please support our native industries. It's not just for tourists, you know.

But to answer your question, the Safepacker.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, SHAZAM !!! No wonder people stare at me. I thought it was the beard. Where do the black wingtips and knee-length black socks fit in ?

I've been looking into the "SmartCarry". Will now see what the Safepacker is/does.

Thanks

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK----OK, Until this dress code issue is settled, I'll stick with worn-in boat shoes (no socks, of course), well broken-in shorts and a very comfortable, not tucked-in shirt. You are correct in assuming that the "outfit" is not color coordinated.

jehzsa, you had a great recommendation: I reviewed the Safepacker (thanks for the address) and found it to be perfect for many situations. I do like the SmartCarry and will probably get one of each. The Safepacker appears to be somewhat more flexible in different carry modes and still retain the basic procedure of using. I am a bit concerned about shooting my "brains" off in a "need to use" situation using the SmartCarry.

Thanks

P.S. I do apologize for mentioning the black socks.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Glad to be of help. I have a Safepacker. Workdays, I carry IWB CD. With a suit. Weekends, the Safepacker attached to the belt. With shorts or jeans and tucked-in shirts. Only one person has asked me what was that for. I told him it was for my PDA. As in "personal defense accessory". Then he asked what kind of PDA. I told him it was a Para-Ordnance P-12 Limited .45. Guess he wasn't that knowledgeable about PDAs because that was the end of the conversation.

The advantage over the Smartcarry is the draw. Faster and safer. I also hate the thought of having my carotid covered.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts