Walther Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it safe to reholster the P99AS after firing, without decocking? I am using an open top Safariland duty holster OWB.

Reason I ask is because I've found decocking one handed to be quiet difficult for me with the P99. Retention holsters compatible with the P99 and a weapons mounted light are hard to find (do they even exist) so I use a Surefire standalone light with the Harries method when carrying my P99. I could easily see a need to reholster while keeping my left hand occupied with a light.

Thoughts?

·
In Memoriam
15,041 Posts
No different than reholstering a PPQ after firing. Always use two hands and two eyes when reholstering. Get rid of the flashlight and reholster....and with two hands available, you can go ahead and decock. Now, do something with that flashlight.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why? Just why? It has a decocker for a reason. Carry it as you wish of course but the decocker, when depressed, actually blocks the striker and acts as a safety while reholstering.
Why? I thought I explained why. There could be a situation where one needs to reholster one handed after firing.

If anyone could point me to a duty-type retention holster that allows for a flashlight on the P99, be my guest. I've come up with nothing. One unfortunate downside of these underrated weapons. I love my P99AS, I also have a Glock 19 Gen 4 but IMHO it isn't nearly as comfortable or ergonomic as the P99, and I greatly prefer the first DA pull of the German gun.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Why? I thought I explained why. There could be a situation where one needs to reholster one handed after firing.
Use the flashlight to hit the decocker? Take your left thumb (or any one finger) off the flashlight momentarily and use it to hit the decocker? Use any finger knuckle on your left hand to hit the decocker? Failing *all* of that, as others have said, it's realistically very similar to holstering a PPQ, albeit one with a slightly lighter trigger pull weight.

·
Premium Member
8,714 Posts
Like fart says...not much difference between holstering a PPQ and a P99.

I've been reholstering a PPQ daily since 2011 one handed without a ND so it can be done safely and I've also reholstered the P99 and P99c without decocking although because I'm left handed I can easily decock the weapon with my thumb.

Let the whining commence!

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Use the flashlight to hit the decocker? Take your left thumb (or any one finger) off the flashlight momentarily and use it to hit the decocker? Use any finger knuckle on your left hand to hit the decocker? Failing *all* of that, as others have said, it's realistically very similar to holstering a PPQ, albeit one with a slightly lighter trigger pull weight.

I holster one handed all the time. Using the thumb of my right hand as I grasp the weapon, I depress the decocker as I place the weapon into the holster. This decocks the weapon and blocks the striker physically thereby making reholstering one-handed as safe as it can be with a round in the chamber. Help me understand how that is hard? I've taught my 15 year old daughter with small hands how to do it safely.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Help me understand how that is hard? I've taught my 15 year old daughter with small hands how to do it safely.
If the OP says it's hard, then it's hard. My thumb is *barely* long enough to hit the decocker while maintaining a grip on the gun. If the OP's thumb is even slightly shorter, I can believe that the other hand would be needed in order to hit the decocker. As I said in the post you replied to, however, there are plenty of ways to do this while holding a flashlight - it's not rocket surgery.

·
Read Only
5,165 Posts
I'd hazard a guess that an amount of common sense equal to that which is needed to walk through a door and not hit one's head is about all it takes to reholster ANY loaded gun.

As mentioned previously, both eyes and both hands will suffice, keep stray cats, kids, coat, and cowbells outta the damned way and you'll be ok.

Amazing, people can buy a 3,500 dollar gun, but can't afford the training and experience to handle it safely at all times.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.