Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got a few questions:

1) Is it physically possible to mill a PP or PPK/S slide to mount a reflex sight such as a Trijicon RMR or a Meopta MeoRed? Is there enough room on the slide?

2) When did PP importation end for the US? 1945-???

3) Would adding weight on top of the slide mess up the function of a blowback pistol?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
10,124 Posts
3) Weight can be added up to a point. I only have experience with the P22 in this regard. I have added 43 grams of weight to the slide of one and it cycled fine with CCI mini mags or Rem Goldens. (This was a test to see if the slide would cycle with a red dot and base installed. The project died because there in no good way to attach these to the thin zinc slide. 43 gr was plenty of weight.)

.380 ammo generates much more recoil energy vs. a .22 but the design of the pistol...slide weight, recoil spring and mainspring strength, has been carefully engineered for proper function and longevity of the pistol. You would need to look at the size of the mounting base on each sight to see if it would fit without interfering with the existing rear sights or the ejection port. At least the slide is steel. My 2 cents. 1917

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
3) Weight can be added up to a point. I only have experience with the P22 in this regard. I have added 43 grams of weight to the slide of one and it cycled fine with CCI mini mags or Rem Goldens. (This was a test to see if the slide would cycle with a red dot and base installed. The project died because there in no good way to attach these to the thin zinc slide. 43 gr was plenty of weight.)

.380 ammo generates much more recoil energy vs. a .22 but the design of the pistol...slide weight, recoil spring and mainspring strength, has been carefully engineered for proper function and longevity of the pistol. You would need to look at the size of the mounting base on each sight to see if it would fit without interfering with the existing rear sights or the ejection port. At least the slide is steel. My 2 cents. 1917
Yeah, the reflex sight interfering with the ejection port is my primary concern. A Trijicon RMR is about L 1.8" x W 1.1" x H 1", or 45.72mm x 27.94mm x 25.4mm. I unfortunately don't have a PP or PPK/S to measure the area of the slide. I would probably want to change the irons to suppressor-height sights.

·
Registered
10,124 Posts
Well, plenty of us can give you some widths and lengths. I'll get to it soon and let you know. I don't think the rear of the slide varies PP, PPK, etc. .380 I assume is what you are interested in. 1917

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, plenty of us can give you some widths and lengths. I'll get to it soon and let you know. I don't think the rear of the slide varies PP, PPK, etc. .380 I assume is what you are interested in. 1917
Thanks! .32ACP for the PP and .380ACP for the PPK/S.

·
Super Moderator
7,412 Posts
How well a reflex sight would survive a PP series violent slide action is another question. Modern pistols using these are locked breech and softer running.
I'm also a little mystified about putting a modern sight on a very traditional pistol.
Moon
ETA- What is the desired outcome here? The PP is a quite compact pistol, and adding a reflex sight would make it bulkier.
Plainly, reflex sights can be easily installed on more modern pistol...is it your PPs that you especially want to shoot, or just the use of a reflex sight?
Thanks,
M

Reactions: Jimbo80

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
On a modern gun sure. On a PP or a PPK please see below...

Attachments

·
Registered
10,124 Posts
Reflex sights hold up well on about everything.... .40, .45, .50, military, steel competition shoots, you name it. You would need to take a careful look at how to mount a base to the small PP pistols. I forgot about those measurements. Oooops. I need to open the safe. 1917

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How well a reflex sight would survive a PP series violent slide action is another question. Modern pistols using these are locked breech and softer running.
I'm also a little mystified about putting a modern sight on a very traditional pistol.
Moon
ETA- What is the desired outcome here? The PP is a quite compact pistol, and adding a reflex sight would make it bulkier.
Plainly, reflex sights can be easily installed on more modern pistol...is it your PPs that you especially want to shoot, or just the use of a reflex sight?
Thanks,
M
The desired outcome currently is to figure out if a RMR or similar sight would fit onto a PP slide ;)

My instinct is no, it won't fit. If the optic won't fit, whether or not its a good idea is a moot point. So my first question is whether or not an optic would fit. I don't think the slide is wide enough nor is there enough length between the ejection port plus area to allow for reliable ejection and the rear sight base. But without measuring the slide, I can't be sure.

I went to a FFL yesterday that stocks RMRs and unfortunately the one PP they had was sold in between when I saw the pistol for sale earlier this week and yesterday.

·
Super Moderator
7,412 Posts
Okay, I missed the elephant in the room; you don't currently have a PP of any sort.
Okay, figure out if it will work; no disrespect, but the 'why' does seem a puzzlement.
But excuse me; got to see if a reflex sight will work on a '51 Navy. :eek: ;)

Best,
Moon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts