Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. It has been several years since I last posted, but I have not lost my taste for Walthers! I just picked up this PPK. I realize there is not much collector's value to it. I plan on using it as a shooter. I was toying with refinishing it simply for the cosmetics - to make it look better. Thoughts? If you would refinish, what method would you use?

Thanks.
IMG_4369.JPG
IMG_4368.JPG

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a Manurhin PP that I’m looking to do the same with. Zero historic value, but a nice little pistol. Swapped all the springs except the one for the magazine release and trigger guard, which those will be done when I have it redone.

A similar finish at a lower cost is CCR’s CPII.

I used to use either Robar or CCR exclusively. If it was a long gun or alloy frame (CCR doesn’t do either), spent the extra to go to Robar. If not, CCR got them. CCR is also a smaller business, which I like supporting... if that mean anything to you. I’ve never had any issues other than their credit card company trying to fight a double charge and one slide having the plating chip (both were fixed fast by CCR). Communication can be spotty, as their provider does not like certain email services (Yahoo being one of them), but they don’t play games.

A lot of experience with them over on SIG Forum.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I picked this one up from a pawn shop several years ago as a shooter. I sent it out to Cylinder & Slide for the NP3 finish, stipple front & rear straps, bevel magazine well, & install the XS big dot sights. Pleased with how it turned out.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Just so somebody offers the contrary view:

I wouldn't ruin the gun completely as a collectible. If you paid what's on the tag, that's a good price for a wartime PPK which only seems to have suffered damage to the finish and very shallow surface pitting due to bad storage mostly on one side of the slide. The grip frame looks in great shape.

I'd just leave it, but if you feel an urge to make it better-looking, I'd suggest a competent re-blue of the slide and call it good. It would still look like the collectible it is and you can shoot it as you like.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I wouldn't ruin the gun completely as a collectible. If you paid what's on the tag, that's a good price for a wartime PPK which only seems to have suffered damage to the finish and very shallow surface pitting due to bad storage mostly on one side of the slide. The grip frame looks in great shape.

I'd just leave it, but if you feel an urge to make it better-looking, I'd suggest a competent re-blue of the slide and call it good. It would still look like the collectible it is and you can shoot it as you like.
I will consider that sir. I have received a number of replies on a FB forum that are in this camp - just leave it. I got it for $450 - I was happy with that. I paid a lot more for a gun with almost the same serial number (253XXX) 15 years ago or so (it was in better condition), but alas, I sold it off at some point. I'm glad to have a pre-war back!

·
Registered
226 Posts
If you can find a GOOD refinisher, they may be able to polish it out a bit and re-blue or touch-up. It's a wartime gun, so it might lose some value, but overall, it's in decent shape except for that left side. I agree with Screwball on CCR, they do good work for NP3 but don't "bug" them. I had a local gunsmith do a few of my PPKs. The first guy they had working for them did AWESOME but the next guy... eh, not so good.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you can find a GOOD refinisher, they may be able to polish it out a bit and re-blue or touch-up. It's a wartime gun, so it might lose some value, but overall, it's in decent shape except for that left side. I agree with Screwball on CCR, they do good work for NP3 but don't "bug" them. I had a local gunsmith do a few of my PPKs. The first guy they had working for them did AWESOME but the next guy... eh, not so good.
Good to know, thanks.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'm in the No refinish group, strongly. It doesn't look that bad, for one thing, and refinishing would wipe out the character. I'm not opposed to refinishing in general, but for pistols a lot worse than yours. If you must refinish, which I understand, get a quality refinisher who won't buff out all the good stuff.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm in the No refinish group, strongly. It doesn't look that bad, for one thing, and refinishing would wipe out the character. I'm not opposed to refinishing in general, but for pistols a lot worse than yours. If you must refinish, which I understand, get a quality refinisher who won't buff out all the good stuff.
Thanks. I'm leaning towards just leaving it.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Ya-know, Absalom, I like the way you roll.
mtcstle

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have to agree with the no refinish group. It seems to be in pretty good original condition and I feel that speaks volumes more about the gun. I have a 1963 Porsche 356B and I am restoring it, but plan to keep it as close to original as possible. This is favored in auto restoration and I believe it is best for most things. Enjoy your PPK. Its a great firearm!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have posted some information about my German PPK, 32 acp. However, while sitting here with this beautiful restored PPK, I thought I would post some follow up information.

photobucket.com/user/bmwjoey/media/C4C7015C-C175-475D-BEB3-B6C780E151D2.jpeg.html]
[/URL]

As I mentioned before, I found this PPK at a gun show last fall. At the time, the seller had installed a Manurhin .380, PPK slide on the gun since the original slide was allegedly quite worn with some pitting. But for an agreed price of $600, the gun with both slides would be sent to my dealer in Michigan.

After receiving the correct slide with matching serial numbers, I installed a new recoil spring and headed to the range. The gun functioned perfectly so it was off to the gunsmith for rebluing. I asked the gunsmith to try and retain the original Walther scroll work even if he would have to leave a few pitting marks.

As you can see above, he did a great job honoring this request.

When I got the gun back from the gunsmith, I installed a new hammer block spring as well as a set of grips from Grips4u located in Illinois.

This thing is absolutely gorgeous, functions flawlessly, and is very accurate.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I appreciate all of the answers/suggestions. While I haven't decided, I'm leaning towards just leaving it. In the meantime, here are pics of the other two PPKs I have - from 1966 and 1967. One is a Dural (PPK/L.)
PPK_L.JPG
PPK.JPG

·
Registered
10 Posts
Robar is no longer in the gun business. I have had great luck over the years with Fords Cusotm Refinishing in Florida. They've done probably 3 complete guns for me and a number of smaller jobs. I recommended them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts