Walther Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently received a Wolf 17 lb reduction recoil spring to replace the factory 20lb in my PPK. Along with the recoil spring was included a firing pin spring.
Maybe it's just me, but I don't feel much difference between the 17lb and 20lb spring.
I was also considering ordering a Wolf 17lb hammer spring to reduce the double action trigger pull.
Has anyone completed this setup ?
Can anyone help me with the installation of the firing pin and hammer spring or point me to a source?

·
Banned
7,055 Posts

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
The ONLY problem I have ever had with Walther automatics is when the recoil spring suddenly "dies".

There is no preceived change in the strength of the spring, but the hammer starts to ride down with the slide. I believe the extra jolt caused by a weakend spring knocks the hammer off the sear.

I have had this happen with every PP series gun I have owned....PPK/S .380, PPK .32 and a .22 PP. I changed alot of parts around before I realised it was the recoil spring. In EVERY instance replacement of the recoil spring solved the problem.

I would not mess with the standard spring on a .380, especially since that cartridge provides these little guns with the biggest thump. Unless you are shooting squib loads or blanks I cannot see the reason to reduce the tension on the recoil spring.

P.S. Stiff pull be dam*ed, don't mess with the hammer spring either!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, ya'll brought me back to the spherical plane. I have the tendency with a new gun purchase to research in an attempt to find a way to improve it, thinking I might know more than the engineers that designed the gun.:eek:
I was told by one of our range masters to let things be, as the designers knew what they were doing. Guess I need to listen.
I did file and polish the back of the slide, hoping to reduce the "bite" and polished the feed ramp, but I will let everything else factory.
Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, sorry, I did leave out just one more change to the PPK. I purchased a pair of Hogue kingwood grips. The grips are a tad thick, but feel very secure in the hand.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
One quick update...the one time when you might consider a different power recoil spring is when you are using an "exotic" ammunition like Glaser. Many times the only way to get that kind of ammo to function reliably is to keep trying lighter weight recoil springs until you find the one that works. I just bought some Extreme Shock ammo and I may have to use a lighter recoil spring for that. Have to go out to the range and see how well it digests it :)

Dep

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts