Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m considering removing that long tang, which beats the crap out of my knuckle and blisters the web on my hand. I have an older ppk without that long tang and it’s not a problem. Anyone done this? I was so hoping that walther would have gone back to the original design and I would have bought a new one, but it’s obviously not what they did. I either have to try and find an interarms gun or try and remove the tang on my s&w ppk.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I think Cylinder and Slide does this modification. If it were me though, I would look for one pre S&W/AR.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The gun shoots fine but that tang just beats my hand up. I wonder if Walther would make some original frame guns.

·
Super Moderator
7,316 Posts
My standard advice for standard frames is 'wear a bike glove'. It would work with the tang as well.
It is a mystery why Walther didn't tone it down a little.
Cylinder and Slide is an alternative.
Moon

·
Registered
629 Posts
The gun shoots fine but that tang just beats my hand up. I wonder if Walther would make some original frame guns.

I'm in agreement. I'm actually surprised that they haven't chosen a middle ground like adopting the frame and tang design of the Umarex .22 PPK/S that slightly changed the grip angle to prevent slide bite without the overly obnoxious beaver tail.

·
Super Moderator
7,316 Posts
Kar', the advantages of an actual bike glove are the padded palm and the bare fingers. You want to keep the sensitivity of finger/trigger.
Moon

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
I was rather surprised that they chose to use the extended beaver tail too, but such is life.

When the price goes down I may very well buy one myself and have our armorer remove it. With the exception of the beavertail it does seen to be a well made weapon.

I wasn't aware of Cylinder and Slide but I'm glad there are other options out there as well.

Personally a glove isn't a solution it is just a "work around" until you solve the problem.

Reactions: mpgus

·
Super Moderator
7,316 Posts
You don't have to walk around like Michael Jackson, wearing one glove. ;)
Just use it for range duty. I've a 940 Centennial that is surprisingly rappy, and use the bike glove at the range.

For you guys who have endured injuries, condolences. I've a stitch collection that is the envy of the neighborhood, but nothing like that.
Esthetically, have to admit the tang bothers me less and less as time passes...but I'm unlikely to buy one.
Moon

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im think Im going to see if I can find a original ppk by interarms. If not im going to gunsmith the tang. I prefer the ppk over the ppk/s.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I considering removing that long tang which beats the crap out of my knuckle and blisters the web on mu hand. I have an older ppk/s without that long tang and its no problem. Anyone done this? I was so hoping that walther would have gone back to the original design and I would have bought a new one, but thats obviously not what the did. I either have to try and find an interarms gun or try and remove the tang on my s&w ppk.
If it's SS, just go to town on it with a grinder and reshape it then finish with various grits till you get the finish desired, it ain't rocket science.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
O3Hemi, I may just do that! I could duplicate the original very closely. I keep thinking of doing it and I am very handy with firearms smithing. As long as its solid and not hollow no problem.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Yeah, I thought about that too. If they're made of billet your good to go, if they're cast you might have an issue.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Why buy something knowing it is not what you want?

Be patient and get exactly what you desire.

·
Registered
9,831 Posts

stock

bottom left stock, a bit of material removed from the top to minimize tongue hanging down look.

What is it you are trying to accomplish. Here I've taken a photo of a S&W PP, (third photo) left the bottom alone except for a small roll up at the bottom rear. The top I rolled down to match the rear slope of the pistol while curving it outward to give the appearance of a tang that doesn't seem to hang down like a big beak. Again, the bottom portion is basically stock S&W shape, location. Two minutes in preview. Almost as fast as a file. Do you want the whole tang shortened? 1917

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Here is my S&W PPK without the long tang next to my Interarms gun. Can you tell the difference. Very happy now! Worked on this tonight took couple of hours and some finish work. Very Close to interarms and doesn't hit my thumb knuckle any more. I took a ton of metal off that tang wow. I didn't realize how dam long they really are.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 72 Posts