Walther Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the beginning of last summer I got a P99C in 9mm. I really like the ergonomics and how the gun shoots, especially in SA.
Therefore, I wanted to add it to my carry rotation and the search for a holster began. I carry IWB and prefer AIWB so I was looking for a kydex holster that would fairly low profile. I typically dress "business casual" for work which means khakis with a button down or polo shirt tucked in. I work in a medical practice so leaving my shirt untucked is not really an option.
In the past I have used Vedder's Light Tuck for my EDC but the butt of the grip would still stick out and print. I had purchased an early claw from Vedder's but it was almost useless; it wasn't long enough to actually contact the backside of the belt to push the butt inward. (I have since learned that due to numerous complaints about this the have come out with a longer claw.)
Because of this short claw I went looking for a different AIWB holster. I preferred Kydex, a single belt clip (adjustable if possible or 0° if not), and a claw to help push the grip into the body. As many of you know the P99 or P99C is not that popular with most makers. Seriously, you would think that 90% of people own Glocks, Smith and Wesson and SIGs. :rolleyes:
I came across Red River Tactical Type II holster. I had not heard about them but during a Labor Day Weekend sale I decided to give one a try. There are a variety of colors, including for washers as well as a claw, which they call the ModWing. With the discount and shipping the total price was $45.24, which I considered very reasonable.
However, what was not reasonable was the 2 month lead. Granted, I did read on their Facebook page that they were backed up, but 2 months for a Kydex holster seems a bit excessive. After about 7 weeks I did call them and spoke with someone (I wish I could remember his name) who was very polite and courteous. He did repeat that they are back logged a bit and checked on my order. He said that it was in the last batch they had worked on and I should receive it within a week. Which I did...finally.
The holster itself seems well made with smooth edges all around. I like the full sweat guard and the gun fits securely into it. The claw/ModWing is longer than the older Vedder's and does come in contact with the belt. It also comes with two inserts on the end of different heights that allow for more or less pressure on the belt.
The belt clip is a non-adjustable, straight-drop Kydex J-hook which is very stiff and requires a bit of force to separate and clip to my belt. I have no concerns of it staying attached to the belt or that it would pull off during drawing the gun. They offer 1.5" or 1.75" clips in black or coyote.
It does feel pretty comfortable to wear but unfortunately it still prints quite a bit. This seems to be due to two factors: the P99C has a shorter barrel and the belt clip is tad too short. What these two things result in is more of the gun and therefore more of weight rides above the belt line. This causes the gun to tilt away from the body and print more. In the appendix position this can be pretty obvious even while a sweater vest, my goto concealment clothing option for bigger guns.
I am considering getting a different belt attachment such as these undrilled straight or offset clips, angled belt clip like the G-code or an Ulticlip.
I will try to post some pics later.

Attachments

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have the straight J clip. By way of a Clinger Atom holster for my "C". I modified my ride ht (lowered) for the reasons you stated. If you're looking for something to disappear try keltec P32 with a BORIIA pocket holster. Plz no haters on keltec or .32 .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts