Walther Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of either getting some Meps or the Factory Red Fiber optics for one of my 99's. I was curious if anyone has any experience with Red fiber?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Jake -

I have HiViz fiber optic sights on several of my pistols, including my P99. I bought them through S&W. I have the red light pipe installed on my Ruger P93. It seems to be a little more effective indoors under lower light conditions.

If you buy the HiViz, it comes with red and green pipes for three or four different sizes so you can swap them out if you want to.

HTH

Jim

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
I do not think Hi Viz makes a rear sight for the P99, right? Only the front.

I am about to buy some fiber optic sights for my 1911. That will be my first experience with them.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what I gather they are rather fragile so I might shy away from them and get some meps...I think the red look okay but I don't think that the human eye picks them up as well as the green dots.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Well, my 1911 is not my carry gun - it is a range toy, and also for possible home defense. It actually has night sights on it but the dots are so damn tiny, and there isn't really any white circle around it. Unless it's dark, I can't see the dot on the front sight. So, that is why I am getting fiber optic sights for it.

I don't think I would put them on my carry gun - my compact Walther - a gun I pull in and out of a leather holster almost everyday.

I'll stick with the stock sights for now on my Walther and SW99. I had the factory put night sights on my Glock 26 last year, and they put on trijicons. But the white circle around them were already messed up when they shipped it back. I complained, and they basically said "tough." Afterwards, I regretted going thru all that.

I don't feel like going thru another hassle again. And, the stock sights are good enough. I've been spending a lot on new guns and other stuff. Maybe eventually I'll do it. But the gun shoots well enough like it is, so I don't wanna mess w/ it too much.

·
Registered
310 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (ShipWreck @ Jan. 08 2006,18:59)]I do not think Hi Viz makes a rear sight for the P99, right? Only the front.
Now you have me curious....what are the "factory fiber optics" you referred to in your original post? The only ones I saw were the HiViz front (you're right....no rear sight).

As far as fragility, I have them on my carry P99 (and Sig, two Rugers, Glock 17) and I've never had a problem with them. Obviously, it's only one data point and YMMV.

Jim

·
Registered
10 Posts
Fells good in my hand but im not gonna shoot it just look at it for awhile, it was a 92G Police Special just came in a cardboard box with 2 15 round mags. I ordered a blue case for it today, it will look better in a case.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Got tired of using my wifes user name Lydia1966.

·
Registered
65 Posts
See no more hi-point, have the longest running tread ever on glock talk.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I see your trying to trade your 92, they look like good guns but they just aint no P99, i put my mag in and out 3 times on my baretta and its already all scratched up, have used the ones on my P99 now for 500 rounds and they still look brand new, also you cant adjust the sites like on the P99, yea no rail either.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Well, remember, it is metal on metal. But, the Beretta has a lot less muzzle flip than the Walther. I just like my SW99 so much. I use the Beretta as a car gun, and kinda wanna replace that w/ a Walther.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts