Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Recently purchased a PPQ .22LR. I was trying to zero in the sights and found that I could not move the rear right left or right very far at all. if you move it too far it will come loose while shooting. I wish they are left more metal on the underside of the rear site.

Because of this I was hoping I could a light weight red dot on this. Something like the Vortex venom. However I called Walther and they said the rear sight for the .22LR was proprietary and there wasn't much on the market.

Does any one know what is available for this?

·
Registered
287 Posts
One option would be a bridge type mount. Allows for a any sight and doesn't cause function problems. Adding the weight of an adapter plate and a sight on a .22 slide can be problematic.

There are several out there, I got a UM Tactical model and use it on both my PPQ 9mm and my P22. Can change it in under a minute.

I had a second thought that I might have seen a dovetail mount for a PPQ .22. Evolution Gun Works does have one for the PPQ .22.

https://www.egwguns.com/trijicon-mount-for-walther-ppq-22

·
Registered
697 Posts
OK, I have milled many a PPQ 9mm for red dots. But I have not seen a PPQ .22LR ever milled.

Has anyone seen this done?

The slide is not made of steel? What is it made of?

I can go down 0.140" milling a 9mm. Does anyone know if this is possible in the .22LR?

·
Registered
22 Posts
RylenSnow, there's quite a few posts on here where putting a red dot on a PPQ 22 has been discussed. EGW makes a plate for it. Here's a link to the one for a Vortex Venom on a PPQ 22 since that's what you mentioned: https://www.egwguns.com/vortex-viper-venom-fits-burris-fastfire-and-docter-for-walther-ppq-22lr

I have been running a Vortex Venom on my 5" PPQ 22 for a few years now. Works great and is so much better than the stock rear sight. The slide functions fine with it on.

·
Registered
602 Posts
The slide is not made of steel? What is it made of?

From the horse's mouth (i.e. from the manufacturer's website):

• Kunststoff-Griffstück mit eloxiertem Aluminium-Schlitten

(Plastic frame with anodised aluminium slide)

For those on the other side of the pond, that would be very similar to anodized aluminum.

Balor

·
Registered
315 Posts
From the horse's mouth (i.e. from the manufacturer's website):

• Kunststoff-Griffstück mit eloxiertem Aluminium-Schlitten

(Plastic frame with anodised aluminium slide)

For those on the other side of the pond, that would be very similar to anodized aluminum.

Balor
At one point there was a graph on the factory Walther site that listed the PPQ .22 slide as "Zinc Cast" - just like the P22.

I confirmed with Walther that is wasn't cast zinc, and the graph has since been removed.

·
Registered
602 Posts
At one point there was a graph on the factory Walther site that listed the PPQ .22 slide as "Zinc Cast" - just like the P22.

I confirmed with Walther that is wasn't cast zinc, and the graph has since been removed.
If that is indeed the case, then a possible explanation for the discrepancy is that the PPQ .22LR is not manufactured by “Walther” as we know it (i.e. by Carl Walther GmbH in Ulm), but by Umarex in Arnsberg - who would be ultimately responsible for the data uploaded to the website.

I can imagine that the Umarex products are not held in the highest regard by the folks in Ulm, who make some of the finest .22LR match-grade pistols and rifles in the world, and that they would assume that Umarex were providing the correct data.

Having said that, I don't disparage the little bugger (i.e. the PPQ .22), as I have one - and I like it. It fulfils the purpose for which I bought it, namely as a training pistol at the modest distances of 10 and 15 meters (at which it is more than acceptably accurate), and for holster drills.

To address the OP's original point: The sooner you get rid of that Mickey Mouse rear sight the better. A lightweight Red Dot, such as the Vortex Venom in combination with an adapter plate, will not have an adverse effect on the cycling. Malfunctions are more likely to be caused by an accumulation of dirt or by touching the slide with your support hand. There are a number of threads on this topic to be found on the forum, for example this one (from post #17 onwards):

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/ppq/84801-ppq-m2-22-owners-2.html

Balor

1 - 11 of 11 Posts