Walther Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a slightly used stainless Interarms TPH in.22 and noticed that the red dot, that is usually located on the slide to indicate when the gun is on safe, was not painted red. There is a small indentation where it is usually red on most Walther's I have seen, but not this one. Not even a hint of red.

I am wondering if anyone else has ever seen this? Maybe a previous owner removed it? Or maybe it got missed at the factory? I wonder what kind of paint to use to correct this? I assume it is a red enamel paint? Anyone know for sure what they use?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
It probably came off when the previous owner was cleaning it. I've seen that happen before.

I'm not sure of the exact color, but you could probably just get some red paint and fix it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have never seen any red paint that will stay on a gun and survive for much time. I figured that they must use some sort of other material, besides paint. Maybe something like powder coating?

Gun solvents remove paint too easily.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Try China markers. You can get them at any hobby or art supply store. They cost about $1.50
Clean and degrease the area around the safety indentation. I suggest you use denatured alcohol. It has very little water in it compared to the 70% isopropyl alcohol. Less chance of water damaging the steel.
The marker will rub into the indentation. Wipe the red marker that's left on other areas off with a paper towel with a little more alcohol. You'll be ready to go.
These markers are like thick pencils that you pull a wound string down as you use the markers. I'm sure you've seen these before. You will be tamping the red marker into the safety depression.

I use these markers in white to outline rollmarks on some of my firearms. I find them to be much more resistant to oils and such than lacquer sticks or paint.
Generally speaking, no cleaning solvent really should be anywhere near the safety on the exterior of a Walther's slide.  And dirt around there will be very negligible and could easily be cleaned away with an old toothbrush and a few drops of CLP, which will not affect the china markers. I don't really see why solvent should get near any rollmark or safety area on any firearm.

HTH

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.