Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a suggestion as to the best paint to replace the "Red Dot" under the safety for a PPK/S

Premium Member
I've used Testors enamel and Tamiya acrylic. The red will come out brighter if you put it over a layer of white thats had a few days to dry first.

Registered
Actually I used my wife鈥檚 fingernail polish! Not sure how permanent it is but it has good staying power on sights.

Registered
Acrylic paint is best for ease of later removal and with an assurance that it will not react chemically with the bluing. I second the Tamiya hobby paint suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Member
Let's don't over-think this. Any red paint will work.

A more important matter is to thoroughly degrease the dot recess first.

...now somebody will want recommendations on what to clean it with....

M

Registered
Let's don't over-think this. Any red paint will work.

A more important matter is to thoroughly degrease the dot recess first.

...now somebody will want recommendations on what to clean it with....
Did the Germans have a RAL number for the red paint ?
Just asking.....

Super Moderator
Fingernail polish remover to degrease, and then use it again to make the' Midsummer Scarlet Allure' go away again if so desired.
But it ain't rocket surgery.
Moon

Premium Member
Fingernail polish remover to degrease, and then use it again to make the' Midsummer Scarlet Allure' go away again if so desired.
Moon
Why would you want to make it go away? The dot doesn't have to be disassembled for routine cleaning.

M

Let me guess. The shade doesn't quite match your lipstick. Or you think the red might look better with little sparkle flecks in it.

Super Moderator
I was thinking 'just in case'. The consegenti might want to change colors with the season. :D
Moon

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The reason that I ask the question was that I thought there might be a paint that someone has found to be more resistant to gun cleaning chemicals than others and therefore would need to be replaced less frequently - if at all.

Registered
I use fishing lure paint which is a vinyl. The kind that wood lures and lead sinkers have on them. I put on a coat of white, then red. Is really tough and resistant. Use in a well ventilated area. Takes a while to cure, but once it's on...it's on. Have it on all my front sights for my aging eyes. It's expensive and got them at Cabella's near me.

Super Moderator
We'll beat this rented mule awhile longer; part of my rationale for finger nail polish (aside from the embarrassment of having to shop for it :eek:)being, if it does get funky, it's easy to remove it all without drama and simply redo it.
Tho' it isn't clear why the area around the safety would require too much cleaning. :D

Moon

Premium Member
I dug around the workshop to find the little bottle of the stuff I keep for such use. Of course it's not "Revlon Midsummer Scarlet Allure" (which I made up). Actually it's Sally Hansen Tough as Nails, 175 Pucker Up. (That's even better.)

M

1 - 20 of 21 Posts